News:

want to modify your profile? -- top menu  here, then "modify profile" left menu- then "Forum Profile Information"

Main Menu

Fibsboard and its motives?

Started by Kari_Grandi, January 24, 2008, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kari_Grandi

Some discussion has been raised (bare with my english) again about FibsBoard and its motives in Fibs shouts. I wanted to start this thread, where ppl can say what they think about it and most of all I want Webbie to clarify a few things for us. I dont have any other motives in starting this thread, then to give Webbie a chance too to defend his site against (true/false) accusations.

1. Is FB originally been made solely to support Fibs or to make money?
2. Has our e-mail addys been sold to other bg-site?
3. Is FibsBoard honouring the free playing site, Fibs, name by using its name for commercial purposes?

adrian

My oppinion:

1. Originally made solely to support fibs, now it makes money (maybe not enough) to support the hosting expenses. If it makes more than enough, I have no problem with that.
2. I NEVER got ANY advertising e-mails from bgsites , on the e-mail address I have used to register here.
3. IMO yes.

Thx Webrunner, keep it up! . I wish you were more often on FIBS tho..
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

webrunner

Your answers are all correct Adrian.  :thumbsup2:

In fact: i have turned down several offers for selling it.
It is true that i have negotiated on the price, but that is just like a game for me.
I would like to see where it went.
But i am going to tell you now: i would never sell Fibsboard, or it would have to be for an insane amound of money (enough to buy a new house) and that will never happen obviously ;)

In fact: just today i got an offer and i told someone i am not selling it.

I was amazed though bout the amount of money companies are willing to pay. The highest bid i had (a few years ago) was $8000. I turned it down.

Am i in this for the money? No, i still like Fibs and it has had a place in my life for over 12 years now(fist i played under a different nickname). Sometimes that place is bigger then other times.
But i do sometimes make some money out of fibs. (it varies from time to time. I have had months without any income.
Currently it's about $100 a month. The Google banners pay me only a few bucks a month. I see it as a payment for the amount of time i spend managing this forum which is about 24 hours a month including moderating, answering questions by email, system maintenance, billpaying and other all the other stuff. That gives me a little of $4 for every hour. I normally make a lot more money, i assure you. So actually this is costing me money.

So.. why do i do it?
Because i like it.
I am an internet and community freak and Fibsboard was the first one i started on the internet. (Many followed and some of them failed) Now i do that for a living for a big publishing company in the netherlands.

So, there you have it. I hope everyone is now satisfied and we can go on with what Fibs AND Fibsboard is all about: playing backgammon and having fun.

Thanks Kari for this post. :cool:
It gives me the chance to correct these rumours.
This kind of rumours is not strange to me. It happens a lot on communities that are smaller since it gets more personal (if i where microsoft no-one would even mind me making money out of this).

Any more questions?    :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

don

I think FIBS board can be a valuable tool for discussion of FIBS' related topics.  There are times when I've found it less than open in its censorship policy, hence the italics, but all in all, a good resource.

It's a pity that some have taken issue with the ads and have dropped the site.  There's no other site I know of for open discussion of FIBS-related issues.  (rec.games.backgammon is not mainline, IMO)  Personally, I have Mozilla block the ads--so they don't bother me.

I'm happy that webby has confirmed that he keeps emails confidential.  I'd have been surprised otherwise.

As for profiting from FIBS, this isn't the only site to do so (if it does).  This is a copyright issue that probably doesn't exist but if it did, I've certainly seen worse abuses of the FIBS name on other websites using the name than here.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

sixty_something

i totally concur that fibsboard is a great resource .. i've never encountered anything but willing assistance from Eric and surprising levels of support .. there is no doubt in my mind Eric's heart is in the right place when it comes to providing a community service .. his candor in revealing the facts of the paltry income stream he receives is also laudable, totally believeable, and reasonable

whatever he gets, i have no problem with it at all .. considering hardware, software, and connection expenses alone it's probably a break even proposition, his talent and service to the FIBS community is a generous gift and very appreciated by me

i've seen several friends with much more experience in fibsland and whose opinions i respect rant in shouts and even tells about the "sell out" of fibsboard or "fibsbored" as some refer to it .. frankly, that just seems silly to me, but i don't have the history for comparison .. but as someone far wiser than me said, you can't keep everyone satisfied .. besides in fibsland if fibsters didn't have something to  :argue: about what would we do between matches?

regarding the ads, you can hardly find anyone as annoyed by ads as i am .. i don't have blocking software, I've simply trained myself to ignore them over the years as a longtime Yahoo! and Google user .. ironically, i've found myself reading ads here and even following links from time to time .. that is something exceptionally rare in my experience with on-line ads

so, my friends, i'll give fibsboard a 9 out of 10 thumbs up rating:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbdown:
to get that tenth  :thumbsup:, Eric, you'll have to double my salary as a new GM  :idea2:

~v~

It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Internet has evolved into a force strong enough to reflect the greatest hopes and fears of those who use it. After all, it was designed to withstand nuclear war, not just the puny huffs and puffs of politicians and religious fanatics.
-- Denise Caruso , (digital commerce columnist, New York Times)
*not* to mention fibsters :lol:
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

webrunner

I will gladly quadruple your salary (since it is zero  :laugh: )

And yes, you are right, i didn't even mention the hosting and hardware costs. I recently moved the site to a newer server. The hosting costs are about 25 dollars a month and the hardware costs somewhere around 350 dollars a year.

So, that really leaves me with even less per month  :unsure:

Finally: i am very serious about privacy etc.
Please read about it in the official fibsboard privacy statement, I have added this document from the start and NEVER violated it.

Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Tomawaky

Personnaly I do not like the ads inserted between post :mad:
But I respect Eric's choice
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

BTW: i would remove all the ads if i would recieve enough donations to cover the hosting costs.
Ik was thinking about introducing a sponsor membership.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

or i could remove ads for sponsor members only.
Just some thought ;)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

nixo

Quote from: webrunner on January 27, 2008, 09:39:44 AM
or i could remove ads for sponsor members only.
Just some thought ;)

It might be the_good_idea webby  :thumbsup2:

webrunner

Would you buy such a sponsor membership?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

nixo

Quote from: webrunner on January 27, 2008, 11:37:19 AM
Would you buy such a sponsor membership?

well it depends of the price!
but as I said it might be a good idea.
fibsboard is usefull for all of the fibsters (a large part in fact) so I am sure that lot of them could help you to maintain fibsboard ads_free.

Tomawaky

You can host at www.free.fr with no cost or maybe some other places with free or very low subscription
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

socksey

QuoteBTW: i would remove all the ads if i would recieve enough donations to cover the hosting costs.

I don't see the problem with the ads.   :wacko:  As a matter of fact, I don't even see them any more.   :unsure:  What's so hard to ignore?   :huh:  I'd much rather have the money to support the site come out of the pockets of the advertisers than from mine!   :happy:  That's one of the reasons I do the work here.   :)  I think those who object aren't thinking properly.   :unsure: 

GEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!
socksey

What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible. - Theodore Roethke

webrunner

Quote from: Tomawaky on January 27, 2008, 06:05:00 PM
You can host at www.free.fr with no cost or maybe some other places with free or very low subscription

Tomawaky, yo mentioned that b4 but free hosters don't give me the freedom i need on a server.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

I really would like to get in a dialogue here with the people who keep spreading rumours that i am making a fortune on FibsBoard. Maybe we can straighten this out once and for all.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Tomawaky

Quote from: webrunner on January 27, 2008, 09:15:52 PM
Tomawaky, yo mentioned that b4 but free hosters don't give me the freedom i need on a server.

Which kind of freedom do you need ?

tucsonAZ

Just as there are several clients for FIBS, maybe there should be several forums also? This way, the user can choose which one they like best, and the burden to maintain it is not on one single person :yes:

Here.. I will start with..

http://fibsbackgammon.freeforums.org/index.php

But if you like special featuress, security and a maintained service, I suggest you stick with webrunner and fibsboard. The ads are a small price to pay for all the hard work he puts into it!!

Quote from: Kari_Grandi on January 24, 2008, 05:06:14 PM
Some discussion has been raised (bare with my english) again about FibsBoard and its motives in Fibs shouts. I wanted to start this thread, where ppl can say what they think about it and most of all I want Webbie to clarify a few things for us. I dont have any other motives in starting this thread, then to give Webbie a chance too to defend his site against (true/false) accusations.

1. Is FB originally been made solely to support Fibs or to make money?
2. Has our e-mail addys been sold to other bg-site?
3. Is FibsBoard honouring the free playing site, Fibs, name by using its name for commercial purposes?

webrunner

It won't come as a surprise that i think that is a really bad idea. You can't compare a community with client software. It has to do accessability of information and interactrion. If you have multiple forums you would have to check them all every day to get the news and most relevant information.
I personally think that belongs on one single place (as much as possible).

Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

lewscannon

Quote from: webrunner on January 27, 2008, 09:32:24 AM
BTW: i would remove all the ads if i would recieve enough donations to cover the hosting costs.
Ik was thinking about introducing a sponsor membership.

Could you do anything to improve my dice?