News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

Fibsboard and its motives?

Started by Kari_Grandi, January 24, 2008, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

Quote from: tucsonAZ on January 28, 2008, 01:00:40 AM
Just as there are several clients for FIBS, maybe there should be several forums also?

:thumbdown: Stop the idea right now.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

Quote from: lewscannon on January 28, 2008, 02:49:46 PM
Could you do anything to improve my dice?

Nope, since i don't manage the fibs server (and i don't think patti can either ;) )
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

tucsonAZ

Quote from: Tomawaky on January 27, 2008, 08:39:58 AM
Personnaly I do not like the ads inserted between post :mad:
But I respect Eric's choice

The ads are all relevant to backgammon. Boards at ebay, play backgammon for money, bg books at amazon etc.. I dont see how anyone could complain about that. I've seen posts like  "go to play65 tell me your nick and you will receive $20 and I will receive a reward also...". Didn't bother me at all..

Tomawaky

How ? Just with post here  :yes: Everybody is free to tell his feeling. So I give mine.
Mario and some others things have nothing to do with Backgammon. And insert in post are taking too many place in my opinion. I have also seen some links added to members post one time but never seen it again since this only time.
But I accept it and keep reading Fibsboard even if it's annoying me. Eric Place is a must for Fibs, I will never say the opposite. But with time ads are coming more in more at Fibsboard and I regret it.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

Quote from: Tomawaky on January 30, 2008, 10:42:54 PM
But I accept it and keep reading Fibsboard even if it's annoying me. Eric Place is a must for Fibs, I will never say the opposite. But with time ads are coming more in more at Fibsboard and I regret it.

Actually i am just experimenting with showing as little ads possible with the highest possible revenue.
I just removed a complete in-post ad placeholder so that is an decreasement of 18% advertisment space.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

Quote from: Tomawaky on January 27, 2008, 10:13:37 PM
Which kind of freedom do you need ?

I'm sorry, i never answered that  :blush:

There are some custom software packages installed on a server that hosts a good community.
For instance sphinx indexing server, spell checker software and i am experimenting with gnubg output (long term project, just for fun ;) ).
So i would need root access to install these packages and they don't give root access in free (or cheap) hosting accounts. (check it out).

Also the amount of emails that is send via the system is large and still growing. It sends hundreds of emails a day. Free hosting (or cheap hosting accounts)  don't allow you to send that much emails (or any email).

There are more reasons like: security, cronjobs, backups, etc. etc.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

I hate to bring this up but i really think the homepage has evolved into a cristmas tree, way to much advertisements for my taste.
But what really annoys me is that no-one seems to give a damn, but when i put up a few Gammon Empire banners everone started complaining.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

This says enough for me.. thanks a lot ! :dry:
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

socksey

:laugh:   I had thought the same thing, webbie!   :lol:  I guess "they" already did all their venting on you!   :laugh:  Oh, and did you notice, even vic started posting again!  :lol:

socksey

"As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death." - Leonardo da Vinci

diane

Despite stogs pleas, I still very rarely go to/ use the homepage, preferring my 'view new posts since your last visit' option.  So  I went and looked at it now. I didn't notice very much different about it - except for the photo, which I do quite like - and the fact that it doesn't seem to be rendering quite right [I am back on Firefox]. It is too big for a page - so I had to scroll around to see it all.

I guess there is more going on right now to warrant visits - the forum v player match is quite entertaining, and it doesn't seem to be at the levels of pettiness we have seen in previous times.  I assume that is only temporary of course  ;)

I also have a feeling that the policy / approach of having more people regularly involved means there is a wider range of things happening, and it seems more of a community effort, than a single person enterprise.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tomawaky

Quote from: webrunner on April 24, 2009, 02:12:40 PM
But what really annoys me is that no-one seems to give a damn

You make me stop those kind of thing Webby. But I think always the same.  ;)

boomslang

Quote from: webrunner on April 24, 2009, 02:12:40 PM
I hate to bring this up but i really think the homepage has evolved into a cristmas tree, way to much advertisements for my taste.
But what really annoys me is that no-one seems to give a damn, but when i put up a few Gammon Empire banners everone started complaining.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

This says enough for me.. thanks a lot ! :dry:

I agree with webrunner and I can imagine his annoyance.

stog

herewith the front page at the start of the year at the time  of migration, together with the latest front page, which has the same 3 google ads and host sponsor as before, but now also has joe's book, an ad for "medecins sans frontiers", a collapsible webradio area and the ad/donate box with thx to those who have contributed.

We have lost the bottom row of ads and now have only 1 collapsible area for downloading backgammon software, FIBS prominent and now not including the paid sites. Featured sites now have Fibonacci and Tomawacky's Fibsleagammon (making Fibsboard an excellent portal, so bookmark to the front page please!) and again no longer contain paid backgammon sites, although Mr Woolsey's site is subscriber, he does pay for FIBS! Centrally towards the bottom we have small ads, again collapsible.

I forgot the VIP articles box LHS, and the small demo ad on the RHS, from a fibsboarder  - "me" for our complementary health Practice software. We should be pleased to replace any of the google ads with ones for  boarders goods, services or performances. contact us for details.

The front page now has News at the very top and extended Recent Topics centrally and Most recent posts top right, at the suggestion of many boarders. That i agree could lead to clutter, but we have tried to keep the look and feel of this site, whilst taking it forward and it will of course reflect the new management who is appreciative of the work that has gone before.

webrunner

If you are going to compare please show both pages complete. You don't have to defend the way the homepage is set up now. I was just  ommenting and giving my opinion. But the homepage lay-out wasn't the real point I was trying to make...

@diane:
Fibsboard was never a oneman show. I practically begged people to help, give input, create content etc.  And a lot of people did !
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

boomslang

Hi Stog,

Although you can collapse most of these ad boxes, they are expanded again next time you visit Fibsboard... Is there a way to save these 'settings' ?
IMHO, as it is now, this feature is not useful at all.

--boomslang

tester

Although you can collapse most of these ad boxes, they are expanded again next time you visit Fibsboard... Is there a way to save these 'settings' ?
IMHO, as it is now, this feature is not useful at all.

Re: collapsible buttons keep your custom layout
- many do automatically stay collapsed-even if you log out/in