News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Completion bonus

Started by blitzxz, January 30, 2008, 05:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

I would also like to make it clear that I too am not the TD.

dorbel

Is it too late to suggest that the ideal replacement for KDP is KDP? His post (see above) is honest about his faults and sincerely apologetic. it seems unlikely that he would offend in this way again. Everybody deserves a second chance surely?

sixty_something

i'd second that .. but send your nominations to soup asap so we can move on
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

stog

also i suggest as in the other leagues, we get a point for playing, even if we lose, and probalby requires we get 2 or 3 points for a win

thx again for a great format
regards stog

KDP

An open letter to Souptree,

In my previous post, I apologized to the complainer, and to my teammates and to my opponents but I failed to apologize to you.  I would like to take this opportunity now to do that.  Its easy to hide behind the anonymity the internet provides and say things that one wouldn't normally if they were face to face.  Please know that the things I've said to you weren't meant to be malicious or hurtful but were borne out of frustration at what I perceived to be a lack of dialogue  when I was trying to get answers to my questions. 

Having said that I think I have a solution which would be a win/win situation for all parties involved.  It seems that there is some support for me to continue in the league (and I thank those for your support) as that is my wish as well.  It certainly seems to be the fairest solution to my teammates and opponents and one which does not compromise the integrity of the league.

In exchange for allowing me to finish out what I started at the end of the session I will withdraw myself from any further Team League events.  I would not want to be a part of something that I'm not welcome at.  Whatever differences we have there is one thing we do have in common, that  is we both love to play backgammon.  I would like to finish out the session and then we can part ways amicably.  I look forward to your decision.

KDP

Tomawaky

Good Point KDP.
I can't really say I appreciate your way of conduct. As I banned you 2 times from my league and let you actually your latest chance. But I think that we can't please everybody and we have to make effort to accept everybody as we are, if it doesn't go too far.
You're right when you say that we are all backgammon lover ad I would better say Fibs lover. And for this, and because you apologized, I think you deserve this second chance.
But final decision belongs to the TD and must be accepted.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

spielberg

I too think KDP's apology here sincere. Let's move on. KDP's a very fine player and ideally I'd prefer him to stay in teamleague  - soupie could tell him it's his last chance? Even if that's not possible, or KDP (as he states) wants to quit, he should be allowed to finish the session.

sixty_something

i have sent soup an email supporting allowing KDP to replace KDP .. i encourage other TL players, especially team captains to do the same

remember, soup is not a fibsboard user and there are no guarantees he has seen any of these excellent posts .. i say excellent in two ways .. to see any fibs player respond the way KDP has is exceptional and noteworthy .. second, such a model for handling disputes of this type is an excellent way to have handled this little crisis and to prepare for the end of the season - not to mention the beginning of next

so, if you'd like to know your thoughts are being heard by soup, please send him an email to the main address at the TL homepage .. otherwise you must assume your thoughts are not being heard by souptree

Love conquers all things except poverty and toothache.
-- Mae West US movie actress (1892 - 1980)
e-mail me

sixty_something

i just heard from souptree yesterday via email, but just read it a few minutes ago .. essentially, there is still no word regarding a replacement for KDP

if you have a suggestion please communicate it directly with souptree about it, asap

A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
-- Victor Hugo French dramatist, novelist, & poet (1802 - 1885)
e-mail me

stog

hi sedat  congrats on a wonderful campaign  we are provisionally winners but .............  Completion Bonus: There will be a completion bonus of 3 Match Points and 2 Team Points for any team with 100% participation, i.e. no unplayed matches.(10 days remaining)  so we could still lose  so good luck i know you are very busy but if you can...  there r 10 days remaining
You tell Schigolch: just sent this to sedat
You tell Schigolch: well done everyone!!!
Schigolch says: very good stog! hi
Schigolch says: however i think the completion bonus should be redesigned
Schigolch says: i think a good completion bonus has to address the following problem:
Schigolch says: at halftime say
Schigolch says: a team who hasn't performed very well has no incentive to play along
Schigolch says: while those who are in the upper part of the standings table indeed do want to play
Schigolch says: but they may have to find their partner in the lower regions
You tell Schigolch: i agree - i think it should be a point for playing each game win or lose
Schigolch says: so a good incentive mechanism has to address this prob

burper

Quote from: dorbel on February 13, 2008, 02:10:04 PM
Everybody deserves a second chance surely?
Everybody?
Ask Z where mine is.

dorbel

There are exceptions to every rule.

spielberg

blitzxz

Quote from: sixty_something on February 25, 2008, 04:19:09 PM
clearly, in the opinion of this reporter, the completion bonus has helped in encouraging players to finish their matches this season .. last season with the same number of teams 20 matches remained unplayed at the end of the season, at present we have only 21 unplayed  .. in the first three previous TL seasons the percent unplayed was much higher
Also the race for play-offs and top two encourage more teams to play all matches.

You should add the tie-break rule to your simulations. So if the teams have same number of team and match points then the match between those teams will decide. This means that the Racing Snails last match will decide which team will be third.

dorbel

Well we can't be certain of course, but actually I don't think that the completion bonus is the factor in more matches being played. I think its the playoffs that have kept more teams interested. The completion bonus sucks IMO, but its another of these rules introduced without the procedure for a new rule being followed. If you are going to give additional points to encourage more play, a bonus point for a 3-0 win would make more sense.

mradica

I agree with dorbel that playoff is what make players motivated to finished all their matches. Also bonus for 3-0 is fine for those who already won that match but those team who lost same match have no any reason to play last one. They can't get extra point from this rule.

I think that we have to find way how to motivated those team who are on the bottom off ranking. My oppinion is that those players lose their will to finished all matches first.

Maybe some kind of punishment could be answer. Like minus points for next session or something like that.
Anyway, I think that big % of all matches are be finished in this league and think it is great.

Extra bonus for all matches played is okay, IMHO. It could be understood as such punishment for those teams who didn't play all matches. If every team played all matches extra bonus is meaningless but than we have 100% of all played matches which is one off league's gols.

sixty_something

clearly "clearly" may have been the wrong choice of words and my vision may have been blurred and myoptic due to our teams position .. of course, the playoffs have contributed to the motivation as more teams remain competitive for a shot at the playoffs .. for me, with our team on the wrong side of the bubble for making the playoffs, the completion bonus was the big incentive for finding my last two matches (our last two) .. i have been hawklike looking for either player for over two weeks and was most relieved to get those matches played just before making my last predictions post .. the completion bonus remains our teams only chance at making the playoffs, i was "clearly" focusing on that

regarding the completion and other bonuses, in general, i'm still not sure i like the idea of bonuses at all .. for example, i'd hate to see a season decided on a bonus or any other rule technicality .. i'd rather see it decided with just across the board matches .. but even in face-to-face play during a live tourney, unless we locked everyone in a room until everyone finished, we'd have the issue of players leaving once their team is out of contention .. in bowling leagues, softball leagues, and other team leagues the social pressures for completing the season are severe and substitutes or alternates are always in place .. we really don't have the same situation with on-line leagues, although having alternates in place from opening day might not be a bad idea for future seasons

in on-line events with international time differences the complexities of finding opponents can be maddening .. just meeting the scheduled 3 matches a week in the Fibs-o-nacci tournament is often quite challenging for many players .. this season's TL event seems to have hit just the right balance in terms of time and matches to be played - 44 days for 19 teams or 2-3 matches per week per player

regardless, i'm still surprised at the completion rate this season .. currently, with 3 full days of regular season play remeining, 39 of 54 players or 72% of all players have played 100% of their matches (compare this to 33 of 54 or 61% last season) .. currently, only 12 matches of 513 remain unplayed .. over half of those 12 are with players involved, directly or indirectly, in the banning, withdrawals, and replacement of players .. all players with the exception of one who is probably unavailable for the remainder of the season are now making progress at getting their matches finished .. it would not surprise me if we have 100% completion except for that one unavailable player .. compare this to previous TL seasons:

[table=]
Season, Teams, Played, Unplayed, % Complete
TL1
89.7%
TL2
93.8%
TL3
82.8%
TL4
96.1%
TL5*
97.7%
[/table]
* 3 days remaining

with playoffs alone, i don't think this would have happened .. thus, the combination of playoffs and the completion bonus seem to have combined to yield a much higher than usual completion rate .. frankly, it appears the highest for any Team League or Fibsleagammon i can recall .. thus, despite the possibility of bounses determing the outcome, it appears after careful thought and analysis to be a damned good idea

so, here's a deserved and belated tip of the hat to souptree for implementing the two new changes this season .. yes, it could have been handled better and will be, i trust, next season
all things considered, i think soupy deserves a round of applause  :applaus: :beerdrinkers: :veryhappy: but, just last week, frankly, i was considering forming a posse and getting a rope

in my opinion, before next season opens we need to start with the formal creation and adoption of a Rules Committee, not just a Dispute Resolution Committee .. the Rules Committee would supercede and replace the former "godmin" and uber-admin functions held by zyxtcba and souptree, respectively, and monitor all rule related issues before the season starts and throughout the season .. zyxtcba and souptree served well during the "growing pains" of the first few seasons in getting TL off the ground again, but, imho, the time has past for unilateral rule changes and unilateral rulings from on high .. if not, then we just need to accept souptree as lord and master and move on

regardless, it's been another great Team League season .. thanks again, soupy
i, for one, am looking forward to TL6 .. but before it opens let's get the :rules: agreed on
e-mail me

stog

yes big applause and tequila red-head slammers for you too sixty - thx for keeping it going and soup for bringing it this far. thx to all who ive met on the way with the games and i trust we will all enjoy the next too
thx again

don

I think you should start a new thread, sixty.  The topic of this thread is what I was discussing in shouts when souptree booted me off of team league.  I was "discussing" with Mort his failure to complete a TL match and TL's failure to register it in spite of the fact that I'd used soupie-mail to legitimately request the forfeit.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

sixty_something

good idea, don, thanks .. i moved the thread to Unofficial Final Standings

Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian.
-- Lee Simonson (1888-1967) American painter, stage setting designer.
e-mail me