News:

Free Competition --3 won copies of Bgblitz2Go details  here http://www.fibsboard.com/free-competition-win-bgblitz2go-p85

Main Menu

Cube 107 - Redouble for match

Started by blitzxz, January 30, 2008, 08:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blitzxz

I have huge problems understanding correct cube action in different match scores. Here's one example. Backwood is holding 2-cube and wants to finish the match quickly.

GNU Backgammon  Position ID: u+6GAABv3wkAAA
                 Match ID   : AQEgAVAACAAA

+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+     O: Backwoods (Cube: 2)
|                  |   | O     O  O  O  O |     5 points
|                  |   |       O  O  O  O |     On roll
|                  |   |       O  O     O |     
|                  |   |          O     O |     
|                  |   |          O       |   
^|                  |BAR|                  |     9 point match
|                  |   |                  |   
|                  |   |                  |     
|                  |   |    X  X     X    |     
|                  |   | X  X  X     X  X |     
|       X          |   | X  X  X  X  X  X |     1 point
+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+     X: You

Pips
Backwood 41
You 60

(answer in txt-file)

sixty_something

another good one, blitzxz .. thanks for the problems
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tomawaky

oups I voted and don't understand the answer and then look at it and see that Backwoods is not red but wite isnt'it ?
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

blitzxz

Quote from: Tomawaky on January 31, 2008, 05:51:46 AM
oups I voted and don't understand the answer and then look at it and see that Backwoods is not red but wite isnt'it ?

Yes the position seems to be other way around in image. So Backwood is white and he's turn. Hmm. Posting positions appear to be a lot harder then you might think.

sixty_something

the image is correct and matches the original problem now

that was strange .. the Position/Match ID entered sets up the correct board in the same orientation as in your ASCII diagram, blitzxz .. but when the position was exported, the board appeared as a mirror image of itself .. i carefully checked the board setup in GNUbg, but apparently didn't in the exported and uploaded image .. when i tried it again, i got the same results .. finally, i swapped players in GNUbg and had to reset the cube manually, but the board image matches the original ASCII one now .. sorry about that .. i've really got no clue what caused that, but clearly appearances are deceiving

thanks for catching the error, Tomawaky

Spoiler
currently there are 6 votes (2/1/3) .. i don't know whether i should reset the vote count to zero or not .. i'm going to opt for no since most were cast before i inserted the image
[close]

Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, thirst that is unquenchable?
-Kahlil Gibran, mystic, poet, and artist (1883-1931)

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me