News:

Check out the small but well formed 'Campaigns' board --we all feel strongly about something: alert us to a campaign, add a poll - be concise, and aware of strong editorial ;)

Main Menu

Removed email form

Started by webrunner, February 01, 2008, 09:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

Hi,
I removed the ability to email someone via a email form.
Because the form send the email with me (webmaster at fibsboard dot com) as sender people kept replying to the message to the wrong person (me).

Please use the Personal Message system in stead, it works a lot better and smoother.
You can find this in the main menu by clicking MY MESSAGES.
Also you can send someone in the forum a message by clicking thse icons:
or or the online/offline icons in the profile or the memberlist.

More information is here:http://www.fibsboard.com/help.html;page=pm

Now your emailaddress may be visible for logged in users.
If you dont want that you can change that in your Account related settings in your profile.

Kind regards,
Webby
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

sixty_something

if you'd like to include your email address for fibsboard readers to directly contact you, you can do that with a little BBC (Bulletin Board code) added to your signature in your profile .. it's the thing scrawling across the bottom of this message .. when clicked, it launches your default mail program and prepares a message to send to my address .. i haven't received anything yet, but i've tested it and it works .. the code looks like this

[move][email=your@addr.ess][b]e-mail me[/b][/email][/move]

you can set your signature at your profile within the Modify Profile--->Forum Profile Information window .. i doubt even spam-bots surfing sites for email addresses can catch that scrolling image and click on it

thanks, webbie, for keeping us posted on new and deleted features
:s40:

A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest, honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly stupid.
-- Johhny Depp , Pirate's of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

webrunner

Actually i would advice against that Sixt. Spambots collect email addresses from all forums on the web. That is why Personall Message System is the safest way to go.
Also it integrated nicely with fibsboard ;)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

sixty_something

i haven't noticed an increase in spam since joining fibsboard last year .. i just started the scrolling message recently when i discovered the command

i noticed on my profile that my email address is listed there .. are you recommending we omit that to prevent spambots from seeking it out now that it may be visible to other users?
e-mail me

webrunner

Quote from: sixty_something on February 01, 2008, 12:55:51 PM
i haven't noticed an increase in spam since joining fibsboard last year .. i just started the scrolling message recently when i discovered the command

i noticed on my profile that my email address is listed there .. are you recommending we omit that to prevent spambots from seeking it out now that it may be visible to other users?

The emailaddress in your profile is only visible for logged in users . Bots don't log in and don't see your email address there. Also you can hide the emailaddress (as explained in the first post).
However, the email address in your sig IS visible for bots and thus can be harvested more easily.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

Yes, i reccommend hiding the email address in your profile and use the PM system. On other forums that has proven very effectively. The system sends you an email when you recieve a new message on Fibsboard (also configurable) to notify you.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

sixty_something

Quote from: webrunner on February 01, 2008, 01:00:11 PM
Yes, i reccommend hiding the email address in your profile and use the PM system. On other forums that has proven very effectively. The system sends you an email when you recieve a new message on Fibsboard (also configurable) to notify you.

so, just click on the hide from public option, not delete the email completely from the profile?

Quote from: webrunner on February 01, 2008, 12:58:48 PM
However, the email address in your sig IS visible for bots and thus can be harvested more easily.

damn, bots .. i thought that since it was masked behind the words and scrolling across the screen it would be invisible to a spambot .. i think i'll still leave it, but change the punctuation to AT and DOT .. only the smarter spambots will be able to catch that .. and if a human can't figure out how to change that, i probably don't want to hear from them anyway ;)

Liberty don't work as good in practice as it does in speeches.
-- Will Rogers US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)
(i'm afraid ol' Will is right again)
e-mail me

webrunner

Quote from: sixty_something on February 01, 2008, 01:37:26 PM
so, just click on the hide from public option, not delete the email completely from the profile?

Yes,
you can't delete your email data since that will break notifications and will deprive you from ever logging in when you log out.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |