Welcome to nacci players and fans

Started by sixty_something, February 14, 2008, 11:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

at my request, webrunner (fibsboard owner, site administrator, and grand dragon) has allowed us to host this forum for FIBS-O-NACCI related questions and topics .. i suggested to donzaemon that we have a need for a place for nacci players to reference frequently asked questions and to ask new ones as they come up .. a big thanks to both for giving me the opportunity to do that here at fibsboard

as many of you know, i've been handling all such requests in nacciland by responding to emails forwarded whenever you email the nacci server at fnadmin or fndispute, as those and only those are the official FIBS-O-NACCI communication channels.. i will continue to do that as well as in shouts and messages at fibs

i hope you will find this forum informative as well as useful in understanding the many new features we've added to FIBS-O-NACCI lately and for whatever other purposes we might discover along the way - such as bragging about great grudge matches, side bets, or other cool stuff .. i assure you when i beat Backwoods in a grudge match, after shouts you'll be the first to know

thanks also to spielberg who has agreed to be the co-moderator here .. so be nice to spiel or he may get immoderate .. he may not have far to go anyway

If you are idle, be not solitary. If you are solitary, be not idle.
-- Samuel Johnson English author, critic, & lexicographer (1709 - 1784)
(Johnson would have loved FIBS, fibsboard, and fibs-o-nacci)
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

spielberg

Moderation - paah . Give me radicals any day. You know where you are with radicals. If you speak slowly and pretend to agree with them they buy you drinks.

stiefnu

I joined both the Fibs-O-Nacci Anakin & Ooga Booga tables at the outset and competed enthusiastically, enjoying some modest success, ocasionally climbing to the dizzzy heights of 2nd or 3rd levels in both.

To my surprise, having just returned from a longer than usual holiday (3 weeks, lucky me) I find I have dropped off the bottom of both lists, not even meriting a passing mention in 'Others', and am no longer getting notification of weekly matches.  This expulsion does seem an unduly harsh punishment for a well-earned holiday!  I must now ponder whether I can really be arsed to re-register and start all over again, from the bottom.  At this point, I am inclined to think probably I will not, unless some reasonable accommodation can be made in the rules for people who, for whatever reason, wish (or perhaps are obliged, maybe by illness) to absent themselves from proceedings for a while.  Could not a way be found to allow players some time out without being penalised?  Up to four weeks in any 12 month period would not be excessive, IMO.

stiefnu

donzaemon

FIBS-O-NACCI  is made to be very dynamicly moving and action.
It is also made to be ongoing and free to join and leave when you like. 

The biggest problem in the pyramids so far has been unplayed matches. So the NukeBot is designed to automatically take players out who have missed more than a few in a row. It simply removes them from the pyramid (which they would be at the bottom anyway by that time because of all the movement around them) and cashes out their points into Nacci points and waits for them to come back and re-join.  Players are encouraged to leave manually if they're going to be away for a while, though , because becoming 'dead weight'  for a few weeks creates no-shows for other opponents who complain about not getting enough matches and have a headache trying to arrange the match then worry about the penalties they will incur as a result.   So you are encouraged to play and to join and leave and come back freely but because of the dynamics of the pyramids and their movement , we cannot  "reserve"  a spot somewhere in the pyramid and leave you there for several weeks. 

This may seem uncomfortable , but , if you observe the way the pyramids are designed,  in a fibonacci sequence ,  the expansion is at such a rate that any level of depth doesn't get you too far down the ladder that you cannot bounce back with a decent run.  ie.  it expands faster as it moves down so losing your place never sets you back too many levels.  It was intentionally designed this way with the freedom of joining leaving and rejoining in mind, so that the setbacks would never be too severe. 

If you were suprised about being ousted from the structure , I'm sorry , but that is all automatic ,  NukeBot looks for "dead weight" in the tourneys and gets rid of it because it's in everybody's interest not to have a lot of opponents who aren't playing anymore.  This way it is always alive and active and adjusting to the players it does have. 

Most of this is already in the rules so I don't have to spend a lot of time doing the 'admin' thing but I may have been a little sloppy and lazy when it came to writing the rules and structure.  So I apologize if you feel you've been "short changed"  by not being able to hold your place while you were not around , but I'd like to assure you that it's part of the policy and the way things have been intentionally set up.  Hopefully this surprise didn't ruin any of the refreshment that you got on your hard earned vacation.

Good Luck

Thanks

donzaemon
He who knows and knows he knows, is wise, follow him
He who knows and knows not he knows, is asleep, wake him
He who knows not and knows he knows not, is a child, teach him
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is an idiot, f*ck him

stiefnu

Quote from: donzaemon on June 10, 2008, 11:49:59 AM
losing your place never sets you back too many levels.  It was intentionally designed this way with the freedom of joining leaving and rejoining in mind, so that the setbacks would never be too severe. 

Thanks for the long explanation donzaemon, though I can't immediately think of a more severe setback than being eliminated from the table so thoroughly that even one's name is entirely eliminated!  It rather reminds me of the bad old days of the USSR Politburo, when once prominent politicians were 'disappeared' and their images eradicated from photographs...
:steam:
stiefnu

magic_one

Quote from: sixty_something on February 14, 2008, 11:04:46 PM

i hope you will find this forum informative

? ? Where are the "frequently asked questions" posted?

diane

Quote from: magic_one on May 19, 2009, 03:25:24 PM

? ? Where are the "frequently asked questions" posted?

It would be my guess that there aren't any  ;)

Feel free to get it started - ask a question, and I will sticky it somewhere sensible.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

magic_one

Quote from: sixty_something on February 14, 2008, 11:04:46 PM
we have a need for a place for nacci players to reference frequently asked questions and to ask new ones as they come up

Please define the term “level”.  Please define the term “rank”.  What is the difference between these two terms (also when preceded by the term “previous”).

Thanks,

foreverYonge

Hi

since a couple of weeks I'm not longer able to access the nacci-website. Requesting a new password (tried it 5-10 times) and entering it hasn't been succesful:
"Could not log in. Check your email and password"

I keep getting notifications for matches, can play them but not report them

Trying to get in contact by email with donz has no effect.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? Otherwise if you happen to play against me be sure to get to the next round ;-)

regards
foreverYonge

donzaemon

Sorry ,
I didn't see any mail in my mailbox .....

One problem that people sometimes have is that the new password is NOT activated until the link in the email is clicked through.
ie.  they sometimes look at the mail , copy the new password (without clicking)  and try to use it to no avail.... but it will not work until the mail link is acknowledged.

Another thing that could possibly be a hangup is a bad cookie that is saved and hanging ,  you can try deleting the cookie to the site if you think this might be it , but that is rare. 

mail  donzaemon@donzaemon.com if it is still hanging up

He who knows and knows he knows, is wise, follow him
He who knows and knows not he knows, is asleep, wake him
He who knows not and knows he knows not, is a child, teach him
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is an idiot, f*ck him