News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

Though Decision

Started by PersianLord, February 27, 2008, 07:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PersianLord

## incorrect link removed by admin ##
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

Hardy_whv

Spoiler
Being behind in the race and with White having a very unflexible position, I would not run with the back checker. 13/9 10/7 is my choice, keeping maximum contact and preparing a bigger prime to contain a white checker, that Red is likely to hit.
[close]

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

PersianLord

Match score : 0-0

Match point up to 7

Pip counts : 142 - 131

The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

PersianLord

Quote from: Hardy_whv on February 27, 2008, 08:08:48 PM
Being behind in the race and with White having a very unflexible position, I would not run with the back checker. 13/9 10/7 is my choice, keeping maximum contact and preparing a bigger prime to contain a white checker, that Red is likely to hit.

Hardy  B)

well done. But I re-organized this post in shape of a poll. Please vote here :

http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems/though-decision-t1825.0.html

Hardy_whv

Spoiler
[close]

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

stiefnu

I rather think the pip count should be 131 White, 142 Red.  I got some useful advice at my club the other day ~ work out your pip count at least three times  :)

stiefnu

PersianLord

Quote from: stiefnu on February 27, 2008, 10:34:24 PM
I rather think the pip count should be 131 White, 142 Red.  I got some useful advice at my club the other day ~ work out your pip count at least three times  :)

stiefnu

ty. you are right. i corrected. :thumbsup:

blitzxz

Spoiler
This is practically the only unflexible formation where it is not correct to make 5-point anchor. (You can get here if the other player rolls 6-5 couple of times.) If white would have only one point more it is correct to make the anchor. So you really shouldn't over do this idea.
[close]

PersianLord

Well, good to see that many chose the right choice here. :thumbsup:

anyway, this is the originial interpretation of the position which i wrote in my blog:

Spoiler
Though making an advanced anchor by playing 24/20 is possible, but this is not the right move here. Here is GNUBG's analysis:

1. Cubeful 2-ply    13/9 10/7                    MWC:  51.38%
       0.532 0.153 0.002 - 0.468 0.063 0.002

2. Cubeful 2-ply    13/6                            MWC:  51.30% ( -0.08%)
       0.527 0.157 0.003 - 0.473 0.064 0.002

3. Cubeful 2-ply    13/10 13/9                   MWC:  51.23% ( -0.15%)
       0.525 0.156 0.003 - 0.475 0.065 0.002

4. Cubeful 2-ply    10/3                             MWC:  50.91% ( -0.47%)
       0.516 0.152 0.003 - 0.484 0.071 0.002

5. Cubeful 2-ply    20/16 10/7                   MWC:  50.56% ( -0.83%)
       0.507 0.122 0.002 - 0.493 0.062 0.001

Yes, occupying white's "golden point" is not even mentioned in the 5 best moves. This stems from the fact that, though white has managed to bring both his back men home safely, he will most probably leave a fatal shot soon or late, as he has actually no home board and all of his checkers are stacked in 3 points. Therefore, as red has a decent home board, he can stay back and leave his blot in 24 point for hunting white's future blots. With 24/20, red decreases his chances of hunting white's blots as white can get his checkers jump over the red's anchor and bring them safely into his home and since white is a bit ahead in the race, this will harm red badly.

Thus by playing 13/9-10/7, red  waits for hunting white's blots and also he brings more builders down in order to make his board even stronger than before. This way, he takes advantage of his previous efforts in building a decent board, which otherwise would be in vain.

[close]