News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

How do I get back my good reputation

Started by golfpro, March 01, 2008, 02:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfpro

My board name is golfpro. I have only been on 3dfibs for approx. 2 weeks. Since I have been playing BG since the mid-seventies, I am pretty good.

Being new to this culture of fibs I just waded right in and challanged everyone and anyone, no holds barred.
I have been doing pretty well with a current rating of 1668 and experience points of 508.

What I began to notice is that I was getting dropped games or saved games.

Today I noticed that my "invite box" is showing a red (bad) rating of 38 saved games!

Time for some research...I checked my saved games. I have 20. 15 of these were dropped by my opponent or a bad connection as I was about to win the match or it was tied. The remaining 5 I was behind when the program dropped or froze the match. So at the worse, I should be credited with 5 saved games since the others made no sense for ME do drop them. After all I challenged to play the match to begin with!

On top of the frustration, the box that players see when I challange is showing 38!!! Where did this come from? What is wrong with this program anyway. I have only been able to get 1 person to play out a saved game and I have been trying all day!

I try to ask someone like Spielberg how to reconcile this situation and his helpful comment to his opponent in the game I was watching was he abhors droppers. Im NOT a dropper.

Please tell me what steps I can take to get my rep back and please correct the difference between the repbots report of 20 saved games as opposed to the erroneous 38.

Much thanks to all who can help.

burper

spielberg

Quote from: golfpro on March 01, 2008, 02:51:18 AM
My board name is golfpro. I have only been on 3dfibs for approx. 2 weeks. Since I have been playing BG since the mid-seventies, I am pretty good.

I try to ask someone like Spielberg how to reconcile this situation and his helpful comment to his opponent in the game I was watching was he abhors droppers. Im NOT a dropper.

I apologise for my hasty and over zealous reaction to you watching my game with Rick, golfpro. In terms of the saved games I can't explain the difference between your 20 and repbot's report of 38. Try posting a question here:http://www.fibsboard.com/repbot-b25.0/

Fibs has been a droppers playground for years - largely because its code is fixed.  Thus your idea that matches one is about to win when the opp drops are marked as a win while obviously a good one just is not going to happen.

Repbot is an attempt to constrain the droppers by giving vouches for those you don't think a dropper and complaints for those you do. Over time this has developed into an extremely useful resource. A few years back you'd play at least 2 or 3 droppers a week - now 1 a month is about the going rate (that's if you use repbot to check your opponents' reputations obviously).

To increase your rep just stick around and when you lose ask for a vouch - more often than not you'll get one.  You're getting one from me btw when I'm next on fibs - remind me if I haven't posted it. (To see vouches/complaints: "tell repbot list NAME". I'd advise you to do this on your own name first - as you'll see I have a long list)

socksey

Keep in mind that saved games is one thing and reputation is another.  Your saved games are deleted in approximately 90 days if they are not played.   :mellow:

Complaints to repbot denoting reputation are only removed if the complainer removes them.  Usually this is done only if a saved game is resumed and completed.  Complaints are usually only given if you are suspected of dropping a match, or occasionally if someone thinks you are particularly rude or whatever.   :ohmy:

Use repbot religiously and you will be less likely to play droppers and thus be caught with a lot of saved matches.   ;)

socksey

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. - Confucius