News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

Snowie vs GNUBG

Started by PersianLord, March 06, 2008, 01:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PersianLord

i hadn't the opportunity to have snowie, but as i am really tierd of gnubg's bugs and problems and i may have to buy snowie in near future.

the point i would like to ask is that is here anybody who knows that which one of the 2 programs at their highest level of play is stronger then the other? and which one has more features?

thanks
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

dorbel

Snowie and gnu are thought to be on a par as regards analytical and playing strengths. Both have features that the other doesnt have. Neither is bug free. I tend to use Snowie to store matches and do analysis, but use Gnu for rollouts.
I would stick with Gnu if I were you, unless money is no object, in which case spend $380 by all means.

PersianLord

Quote from: dorbel on March 06, 2008, 02:37:10 PM
Snowie and gnu are thought to be on a par as regards analytical and playing strengths. Both have features that the other doesnt have. Neither is bug free. I tend to use Snowie to store matches and do analysis, but use Gnu for rollouts.
I would stick with Gnu if I were you, unless money is no object, in which case spend $380 by all means.

Thanks for the input.

I don't why I have problems with gnubg. Whenever I install it, it causes my PC some strange problems such as self-restarting, lags, low speed,etc. So I thought that it would be better to spend that money and buy snowie instead of downloading gnubg each day. Or perhaps I don't install gnubg properly?!

Now that you say that even snowie is not bug-free, I think that I must find a way to solve the problems with gnubg.

Thanks
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

don

It should be noted that NIHILIST offers the latest snowie hacks on FIBS regularly for $10.00.  Up to you if you want to go for this illegal offer.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

PersianLord

Quote from: don on March 07, 2008, 02:18:26 AM
It should be noted that NIHILIST offers the latest snowie hacks on FIBS regularly for $10.00.  Up to you if you want to go for this illegal offer.

--
don

ty. what does "hack" mean? and how can i purchase it?

webrunner

Quote from: PersianLord on March 07, 2008, 02:29:21 PM
ty. what does "hack" mean? and how can i purchase it?

It means that you buy a cracked (highly illegal)  copy of the software.
Don't do it, there is very good free software available or a for a few bucks you can buy BGBlitz.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

don

Quote from: webrunner on March 07, 2008, 06:43:27 PM
Don't do it, there is very good free software available or a for a few bucks you can buy BGBlitz.
I agree with webby and with this thread in general.  Gnu works just fine for free, has been shown to match Snowie play for play, and only differs in the nature of bugs (which are always changing).  Furthermore, you can get at the source code for gnubg if you have a mind to.

Why anyone would purchase an illegal copy of Snowie is beyond my understanding.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

PersianLord

Quote from: webrunner on March 07, 2008, 06:43:27 PM

Nice point. Now that I'm convinced that BGBlitz is stronger then both gnubg and Snowie, I'll buy it for sure. Paying $36 more is really worth to have the strongest software in the market. Apart from this, I think we must restrain from buying illegal copies as it is a kind of immoral business. Some people have put their time and effort to make a software and it is not fair to steal their product. (even though that their price is, hell, TOO high!)

blitzxz

Quote from: PersianLord on March 06, 2008, 01:31:36 PM
which one of the 2 programs at their highest level of play is stronger then the other?

Differences in strenght are very small like others have said already but the best comparison is propably Depreli positions. http://www.bkgm.com/rgb/rgb.cgi?view+1299

So if you believe these gnu has advantage of about 1,5 points in 500 matches... This means much less then 1 % better winning chances. And to confirm this small advantage you would need to play tens of thousands of matches. BGBlitz has done little bit worse then Snowie in depreli positions. In practice these small differences doesn't mean nothing though.

webrunner

excuse me.. the link you provided is dated 2005. Thus the situation can be different now. I know for a fact that GNUBG and BgBlitz both have improved their play level quite a lot.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

blitzxz

Quote from: webrunner on March 09, 2008, 09:09:15 PM
excuse me.. the link you provided is dated 2005. Thus the situation can be different now. I know for a fact that GNUBG and BgBlitz both have improved their play level quite a lot.

That's true. But I can't find any new info. I think these are the positions if some wants to analyze them with latest versions.

http://gammonline.com/members/swgnu/

spielberg

There's other software too of course.

I just stumbled on Phil Simborg recommending "Extreme Gammon".

Interestingly there's what looks a rigorous analysis of software strengths which shows "Extreme Gammon" as best of the bunch. For US$50 I shall have to buy some software for once.

(Check out my new thread in this group for evidence of program strength, site for the sortware, and the analysis)