News:

happy holidays! take your board to the beach!

Main Menu

dropper policy

Started by morrrie, December 13, 2002, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morrrie

Multiple servers terminate dropped games. If the dropping player
does not sign back in by, say, seven minutes, he loses. This method is so clean as to far outweigh any inequities.
  Why doesn't fibs implement such a policy. It is hardly innovative  or esoteric?                              

tucsonAZ

QuoteMultiple servers terminate dropped games. If the dropping player
does not sign back in by, say, seven minutes, he loses. This method is so clean as to far outweigh any inequities.
  Why doesn't fibs implement such a policy. It is hardly innovative  or esoteric?

This issue is probably one of the first things that will be addressed when the FIBS code is revised by the author of the server. Probably a bot estimate of the value of the game will be used to assign points.  The problem with timers is that they can penalize honest players who cant make it back in time..and the whole game is lost.  And with the timer method, unless someone is available to monitor abuse (no one on FIBS) a player could intentionally drop and resume continously play slow or chat abuse etc.. until the other guy gets fed up and leaves...not a good system in my opinion.
I put up with it at pogo.com until i discovered FIBS. and I havent been back there since. :-)                              

hypnosa

I agree with Tuscon. I have played at games.com for a while and if you do not move for 7 minutes
you lose the match. But the big problem (there) is that lots of times you get kicked out for no
reason (lose connection) and you are not able to get back in! People just do not move for about
6 minutes and than move, so you have to wait that long! Frustrating. So in my opinion not a
good solution!
Check my new website: www.vrouwenpower.nl

webrunner

Just an idea on this dropping problem..

How about if the player that didn't lose connection (drop) can mark a game as dropped after let's say 48 hours. Only saved games can get marked this way and they can only be marked by the player that didn't leave the game or drop connection.

The dropper then gets a drop mark.
With for instance 5 drop marks the FIBS server will substract 50 points of the rating of the dropper, with 10 drop marks 100 points, and so on.
This will make dropping very unrewarding and is quite a waterproof system in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

jinnate

i don't know. it seems like a lot of additional work for something repbot is already handling. plus, i'm not sure the droppers care that much...

well, maybe they do, instead of a dropped game being a minor liability, you're saying make it a major liability, or at least more of a liability than it is now...

diane

I think i could fall foul off that idea, webrunner.  With my logoffs (which although i try and remember when they are due - it is difficult - time moves differently on fibs!!) - i am as often in the position of being logged off one or two rolls from winning a match.  Of late i've been lucky - and the players have resumed - but in the past have found it very difficult to get those players to resume that match.  So with your suggestion added in - they could then also mark me as a dropper - and i get double the loss!!
I still remain very much in favour of the bot who completes the match at your request.  Cant see how anyone could lose out that way - and could the match win be calculated from the current rating of your opponent at the time of the match finishing-?
Never give up on the things that make you smile