News:

Try the New Recent Posts Link available above Recent Topics on the Front Page

Main Menu

checker play problem

Started by PersianLord, April 27, 2008, 06:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PersianLord

This position was taken from a match on FIBS.

Pip-count : White 144-137 Gray
Score      : White    0-0     Gray
Match      : 5-pointer

Spoiler
Since I don't have any software at the time being, I'll not be able to provide an analysis and a rollout. My own desired move is 24/21*-8/5, which I whispered during the match. White's actuall play was 24/21(2)
[close]
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

spielberg

I'll see what BGBlitz (yes Ive actually bought some software for once!) and GnuBg say in a bit but at first sight automatically went for the same move as you Ali -- it just felt right.

A small point to speed things up (which you'll not be able to do without GnuBG). Try posting the code for the board position as well as an image of it.

Steve

PS I've now done the analysis with GnuBG. No great surprise - you and I both correct Ali. The set up numbers are: Position ID: 4PPEBwBmreABMA Match ID:  cAmgAAAAAAAA.
I saw quite a sizeable change in MWC from anything but the "natural" move (at least -3% MWC I think). This reminded me of some fine guidance and advice dorb gave me once. He suspects many expensive move errors come from misplays of doubles and ALWAYS tries to concentrate more (yes even more) when he rolls one.

PersianLord

Quote from: spielberg on April 27, 2008, 07:04:15 PM
I'll see what BGBlitz (yes Ive actually bought some software for once!) and GnuBg say in a bit but at first sight automatically went for the same move as you Ali -- it just felt right.

A small point to speed things up (which you'll not be able to do without GnuBG). Try posting the code for the board position as well as an image of it.

Steve

Thnx Steve.

As said, I don't have gnubg at the time being (i'll have it this weekend). I used to post the position ID and match ID, but for this, I just loaded the watched match from 3dfibs logs and posted it.

regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

playBunny

Quote from: spielberg on April 27, 2008, 07:04:15 PM
This reminded me of some fine guidance and advice dorb gave me once. He suspects many expensive move errors come from misplays of doubles and ALWAYS tries to concentrate more (yes even more) when he rolls one.

Having gone through many matches of players at Vog and at DailyGammon, I can agree. From the lowest to the highest levels, doubles are very often misplayed. One aspect of the error is that there's a tendency to think in terms of moving a pair of checkers together. Although it's often the case that that's the best move, it's can become a habit to play that way. A better habit is to think of the four dice separately and let it end up as paired dice only by happenstance.

Hardy_whv

PL: Just clicked on the spoiler section of your comment. You write "White's actuall play was 24/21(2)". Looks like White forgot to play two 3's then  :laugh:

Btw, I fully support your move. The hit is a must here. So the last 3 seems to be cristal clear: Make the 5-point.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

PersianLord

Quote from: PersianLord on April 27, 2008, 06:36:12 PM
This position was taken from a match on FIBS.

Pip-count : White 144-137 Gray
Score      : White    0-0     Gray
Match      : 5-pointer

Spoiler
Since I don't have any software at the time being, I'll not be able to provide an analysis and a rollout. My own desired move is 24/21*-8/5, which I whispered during the match. White's actuall play was 24/18(2)
[close]

PersianLord

Quote from: Hardy_whv on April 29, 2008, 11:41:19 PM
PL: Just clicked on the spoiler section of your comment. You write "White's actuall play was 24/21(2)". Looks like White forgot to play two 3's then  :laugh:

Btw, I fully support your move. The hit is a must here. So the last 3 seems to be cristal clear: Make the 5-point.

Hardy  B)

yep, you're right. i modified the post.

blitzxz

Quote from: playBunny on April 29, 2008, 08:15:35 PM
Having gone through many matches of players at Vog and at DailyGammon, I can agree. From the lowest to the highest levels, doubles are very often misplayed. One aspect of the error is that there's a tendency to think in terms of moving a pair of checkers together. Although it's often the case that that's the best move, it's can become a habit to play that way. A better habit is to think of the four dice separately and let it end up as paired dice only by happenstance.

Well said. It's easy to miss moves complitely when moving doubles simple because there is so many possibilities. I once analyzed 1-1 roll with gnu and there was over 160 different moves...