News:

want to modify your profile? -- top menu  here, then "modify profile" left menu- then "Forum Profile Information"

Main Menu

RepBot objective functions

Started by don, May 04, 2008, 03:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don

I was curious how hard it might be to satisfy all of Patti's requirements for RepBot so I spent a couple of evenings modifying mudPY to become a true reputation bot, capable of accepting vouches and complaints.  Though still being tested, it seems to do a decent job.

*** Commands: 
                        'tell rePYbot ask <user>' ;
                        'tell rePYbot list <user>' ;
                        'tell rePYbot vouch <user>' ;
                        'tell rePYbot complain <user> ' ;
                        'tell rePYbot withdraw <user>' ;
                        'tell rePYbot repList <user>' ;
                        'tell rePYbot help' ;
                        'tell rePYbot about' ;
                        'tell rePYbot random' ***

They seem straightforward to me, though I'm thinking of adding a 'tell rePYbot grok'.

For general info:

• A vouch or complaint carries the weight of the user making it of int(log(Experience)).  I never much cared for the hundreds of thousands of ratings points users could rack up, +/-, with RepBot;
  • You can use vouch and complain on a user you've played in the last 24 hours, or with whom you have a saved game, or who has vouched or complained about you;
  • Because my ISP nukes all background processes at 1 AM, it's not online 24/7;
  • I had problems with synchronicity and had to rewrite some code which waits for information from FIBS, but may be able to speed its response time a bit.

I hope people find it useful, for as long as it lasts.  And remember, rePYbot is my bot, and I am the person you should bug about it, not Patti!

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

adrian

:cool:  :yes:

TY don ! Avi's silence regarding RepBot is deafening me. Why did he abandoned the "job" of hosting and  maintaining/upgrading/whatever/..  the software, or why didn't he passed it to someone willing to continue it ??  :(
Why doesn't he speak up here, as Patti does?
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

mradica

Great work don! I already change programmable buttons in JavaFIBS and put rePYbot instead RepBot. Make all six functions. Start to vouch for people. Great. I think have to make some announcement.

playBunny

Ah, super job, don. Now if you can add one thing it'll be supurb. Comments!

I don't just want a score, I'd like to know why a complaint was made. Was it because a game was dropped, rudeness in shouts, a sad or angry loser, etc. It may even be that the complainee played so slowly that all desire to live drained out of the complainer. Even someone using the comment to be insulting would be useful - as a recommendation against the commenter!

Comments on positives would be good too. My comments for half of the players that I've vouched for would be "Know them and like them from DailyGammon". Incidentally a requirement to play someone before vouching could get in the way of that kind of vouch. I haven't played any of my friends from Dailygammon so far, lol, but I still value them. ;-) In other words, I reckon that a play-first requirement should be for complaints only.

teyakis

Quote from: mradica on May 23, 2008, 10:38:07 PM
Great work don! I already change programmable buttons in JavaFIBS and put rePYbot instead RepBot. Make all six functions. Start to vouch for people. Great. I think have to make some announcement.

I have done the same and I am finally a happy camper !!  B)

thx don  :cool:

webrunner

what are the hosting requiremewnts don, maybe i can  help :blush:
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

don

Hey Webby.

When I get it running smoothly (right now I'm modifying the way it stores vouches and complaints), the hosting requirements would be having a copy of Python.  rePYbot (and mudPY) run on Python 1.5, a very old version, but it's the one my ISP has.  It runs just fine on 2.5 (the one I normally use).  Actually, modifying code for the old Python is the biggest hassle, but kinda interesting.  For example:
     for x in repDict:  ##  this doesn't work in 1.5 on a dictionary {}
     no True or False
          so I use (1==1) and (1==0) tho (1) and (0) would do..
     various string methods don't exist...
     x += 1  ## has to be x = x + 1

I keep discovering little things, and also have some major work to do.  Currently exploring how 1.5 differs in file bashing (that's the saved vouch/complaint issue mentioned above).  LOL, Python 1.5 is (c) 1991-1995.  Oh well.

And playBunny, how about 'help comments' which yields "go to www.fibsboard.com and comment yer little heart out!".  Seriously, such a function would be rife for abuse.

--
don

socksey

So happy to hear this, don!  I'm away now, but as soon as I'm back, I'll reprogram my JavaFibs buttons too!  ;)))

Hey, playBunny!  If you use JavaFibs, you can put anyone on your friends list, friend or foe, and color code them.  I use red for those I won't play again.  The comments feature would be best for sure! :)  I use another system for that.  I have a word pad that I keep comments about fibbers in.  I keep it filed in my Fibs file for making notes and for reference when I want it.   :happy:

socksey

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. - George Bernard Shaw

playBunny

Hmmm, I'm a 3D-Fibs guy at the moment but in any case the thing about comments is not that I want to read mine but others'. Can I have a peep at your scrapbook, please socksey?! Actually i bet it's a damn good read! ;) 

Trawling through a fibsboard forum wouldn't be quite the thing either, there's a big difference between someone doing that and having a bot tell them. On the commenting side, people need to register here in order to posts and some, maybe many, will shy off at that hurdle. Others would be happy to give a comment to the bot but not post in a forum.

While I agree that it would be open to abuse, I think experimentation is the only way to know just how open it is and whether that negativity outweighs the usefulness. If so, the comments could be coded out and the code could be commented out.;)  But if it's tried in a year or three and found useful, there's no way to put in the comments that were missed.

don

Lemme get rePYbot functioning correctly, playBunny.  It turns out I need to insert a couple of timers.  When I do, I will certainly (probably  not) address your comment.  I'd need more convincing.

--
don

socksey

QuoteCan I have a peep at your scrapbook, please socksey?! Actually i bet it's a damn good read!

It's for my eyes only, bunny.  Sorry.   :dry:  Yes, it's interesting,sometimes hot,read!    

socksey

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." - G. Gordon Liddy

don

I think I have the bugs ironed out of rePYbot now, and I apologize to those of you who used it before I clobbered the datafile (please try to reenter your vouches and complaints if clobbered), as well as those who received spam due to my misplacement of a list[index].  Since I know I'm capable of making just about any mistake possible, I encourage people to try rePYbot and send me bug reports (not Patti!).  Please leave Patti messages of what a wonderful bot rePYbot is!

I'm still looking for a host who has Python 1.5.2 or better, to make rePYbot 24/7, and will, in a couple of days, post the source code.  (I'd like to iron out the bugs I can first.)

--
don

playBunny

Quote from: socksey on May 25, 2008, 06:46:28 PM
It's for my eyes only, bunny.  Sorry.   :dry:  Yes, it's interesting,sometimes hot,read!    

Lol, How about I'll swap you some hot conversations from Across the board with playBunny. :laugh:

Luddite

Don -- I LIKE REPYBOT!!!   :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:  Thank you so much for writing it! 

Is there any possibility that, after the bugs are ironed out, it can be renamed repbot, so the client software (I use 3dfibs) can continue on as if nothing happened?? 

Thanks again, 

Bones

don

Quote from: Luddite on May 27, 2008, 01:53:19 AM
Is there any possibility that, after the bugs are ironed out, it can be renamed repbot, so the client software (I use 3dfibs) can continue on as if nothing happened?? 
Hmmm... rePYbot is definitely not RepBot.  It has different functionality and differs in output.  Also, I don't own the name, RepBot.  I don't know 3dFIBS, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find the name, "RepBot", in one of its files and change that to rePYbot.  There may be some pseudocode at the same spot, which can probably be figured out.  Get in contact with the 3dFIBS people (or post on the 3dFIBS forum here).

--
don

don

Although it's premature, to save some online hassles I'm posting the source for rePYbot here.  Be kind, people.  It's a work in progress written on a recent version of Python (2.5.2) and retrofitted to a 15 year old version because that's what's on my ISP.

enjoy!

--
don

PolyphonicBrie

Not had time to try it yet but from what I read here it sounds great.  Cheers Don!

Would anyone care to volunteer to embed this new bot into CocoaFIBS?  The developer seems to have abandoned it, but at least has published the code of SouceForge (or somewhere... I think).

I have checked the .app package, hoping to find perhaps a script or plist file with the RepBot commands in, but unfortunately the RepBot interaction seems to be embedded in the main binary.  I'm no programmer so that's beyond me I'm afraid.

(Actually what would be even better would be if the name of whatever "reputation bot" is flavour of the month could be specified from the application preferences).

Cheers
PB

PS: I know someone is bound to reply "just use JavaFIBS"... but I am rather partial to CocoaFIBS, as are plenty of others!

webrunner

Quote from: PolyphonicBrie on May 28, 2008, 09:11:07 PM
Not had time to try it yet but from what I read here it sounds great.  Cheers Don!

Would anyone care to volunteer to embed this new bot into CocoaFIBS?  The developer seems to have abandoned it, but at least has published the code of SouceForge (or somewhere... I think).

I have checked the .app package, hoping to find perhaps a script or plist file with the RepBot commands in, but unfortunately the RepBot interaction seems to be embedded in the main binary.  I'm no programmer so that's beyond me I'm afraid.

(Actually what would be even better would be if the name of whatever "reputation bot" is flavour of the month could be specified from the application preferences).

Cheers
PB

PS: I know someone is bound to reply "just use JavaFIBS"... but I am rather partial to CocoaFIBS, as are plenty of others!

If you are going to develop this, please read this!
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

inim

Please note that I have taken over maintainance (inofficially, as long as avik is unresponsive) of the original RepBot code, see this thread /repbot/repbotng-t1964.0.html. This means it will be back 24/7 in week or two. It already is back for some hours per day as per now.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.