News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

Not confirming matches

Started by JLee, May 05, 2008, 12:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLee

I played a league match right near the end of the playing period.  I lost the match, and posted it IMMEDIATELY after the end of the match.  My opponent never confirmed it -- and the one point I didn't get credited for prevented me from advancing to the next level.  I'm still stuck in the Bronze level for another play period, and it's not my fault.

We need to remind people that at the end of the play period, matches must be posted and confirmed IMMEDIATELY after the match ends.  This turn of events is really annoying.

JLee

Tomawaky

I get your point but,
- it is not my fault that you played this match right near the end of the playing period
- it is not my fault if you not make sure with your opponent that the match would be registered correctly
- I do not anymore reminder to players who did not post or confirm or do not play all of their matches or refuse to plan them sooner. I tried at the beginning to help but It give it to me to much hopeless work and I prefer to work to propose the players the best way to do it all easily by their own. This is certainly not perfect but I try to reach it and if you have good ideas on the subject, fell free to help me to improve it. I am always try to listen from different ideas and make change if I think that it s good for our league.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

JLee

- it is not my fault that you played this match right near the end of the playing period

This is true, but I'm going to add something about this below.  Furthermore, the playing period is the playing period.  I should be able to play my match ANY TIME in the playing period. 

- it is not my fault if you not make sure with your opponent that the match would be registered correctly

OK, that may be true, but I shouldn't HAVE to "make sure my opponent will register the match correctly."  Everybody involved should be reporting and posting their matches right away.

- I do not anymore reminder to players who did not post or confirm or do not play all of their matches or refuse to plan them sooner. I tried at the beginning to help but It give it to me to much hopeless work and I prefer to work to propose the players the best way to do it all easily by their own. This is certainly not perfect but I try to reach it and if you have good ideas on the subject, fell free to help me to improve it. I am always try to listen from different ideas and make change if I think that it s good for our league.

I got added to the league late in the period, and did a pretty good job of playing lots of my matches.  So I think you can't really blame me (THIS time) for playing a match late in the period.

It is the responsibility of all players to post their matches in a timely fashion.  I think if players are not doing this, they should not be in the league.  I am going to keep track of anybody who does not post/confirm their matches against me in a timely fashion.

JLee

JLee

And by the way, I really do think you do an excellent job of running everything here.  I'm sorry if it sounds as if I'm unfairly criticizing you -- that's certainly not my intention.

JLee

Tomawaky

Quote from: JLee on May 06, 2008, 09:12:43 PM
And by the way, I really do think you do an excellent job of running everything here.  I'm sorry if it sounds as if I'm unfairly criticizing you -- that's certainly not my intention.

JLee

Not at all JLee. Its doesn't sound unfair. I just want to ask you " what must I do that can prevent this ? "
I have no answer actually and I get frustrated when people like you are disapointed about the FLG and I would like to improve if possible.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

socksey

I think if players don't post their matches and/or confirm, they should be kicked out of the league.  If they have so little respect for other players, they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

socksey

"You can fool too many of the people too much of the time." - James Thurber

Tomawaky

Quote from: socksey on May 06, 2008, 11:17:11 PM
I think if players don't post their matches and/or confirm, they should be kicked out of the league.  If they have so little respect for other players, they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

socksey

That's no so simple. Sometimes players could post a loss even if they did not play. Or there is error which not permit the other to confirm. Loss password and just happen to forget one time to confirm can happen. But for me it's not easy to know what to do in thoses cases.

JLee

Quote from: Tomawaky on May 07, 2008, 05:26:27 PM
That's no so simple. Sometimes players could post a loss even if they did not play. Or there is error which not permit the other to confirm. Loss password and just happen to forget one time to confirm can happen. But for me it's not easy to know what to do in thoses cases.

I think if somebody is OFTEN not posting their matches, then that's when you should be kicking them out.

JLee

spielberg

Could we not have an "auto confirm" of all unconfirmed results at the end of the season? Given the rules in fibsleagammon when it's the loser who posts that's not vulnerable to much abuse.

mradica

Just play your game JLee and you will soon advanced in higher divisions like Gold and Master are and have not such experience anymore. In lower division there are players, especially new comers who are not such serious opponents.I think it is answer for your currently troubles.

Tomawaky

Quote from: spielberg on May 08, 2008, 11:31:30 AM
Could we not have an "auto confirm" of all unconfirmed results at the end of the season? Given the rules in fibsleagammon when it's the loser who posts that's not vulnerable to much abuse.

I thinked about it but that's not the solution, I think. In this case We do not need any more confirm action.

Tomawaky

Quote from: JLee on May 08, 2008, 03:24:52 AM
I think if somebody is OFTEN not posting their matches, then that's when you should be kicking them out.

JLee

Agree but we are not, I think, in such situation

playBunny

There's room for MatchBot here. This fictitious bot waits until its told that a given player's current match (ie. the tourney match must have started) is one to be noted. (If both contacted it then it wouldn't make a fuss but just issue the same ticket to each). It then watches for the outcome and remembers the result that Fibs reports. It could issue a ticket number which either player would submit to the FibsLeague site. The site could then query MatchBot. Perhaps this facility could be added to TourneyBot instead to keep the bot count down.

Actually it would probably be easier and more useful to have MatchBot report directly to a FibsLeague reporting url. That would save more player effort and the site wouldn't have to get involved in the Fibs protocol, but it would also mean the service having to be reprogrammed if other and future Fibs tourney sites took up the idea of automatic match reporting. On the other hand the bot could be programmed to accept reporting urls to associate with given tourney sites. The players would then have to specify their tourney as well as that they are playing.

[Just thinking aloud here... ;)]

don

Tomawaky:

What if, in the case where a player posts a loss, you award him the 1 point whether it's confirmed or not by the end of the session?

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

JLee

Quote from: mradica on May 08, 2008, 12:41:16 PM
Just play your game JLee and you will soon advanced in higher divisions like Gold and Master are and have not such experience anymore. In lower division there are players, especially new comers who are not such serious opponents.I think it is answer for your currently troubles.

I think you're definitely right.  I'm just trying to get there ASAP so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

JLee

Tomawaky

Quote from: don on May 09, 2008, 06:00:52 AM

What if, in the case where a player posts a loss, you award him the 1 point whether it's confirmed or not by the end of the session?

Because I don't want to give one point for an unplayed match.

Tomawaky

Quote from: playBunny on May 08, 2008, 09:00:08 PM
There's room for MatchBot here. This fictitious bot waits until its told that a given player's current match (ie. the tourney match must have started) is one to be noted. (If both contacted it then it wouldn't make a fuss but just issue the same ticket to each). It then watches for the outcome and remembers the result that Fibs reports. It could issue a ticket number which either player would submit to the FibsLeague site. The site could then query MatchBot. Perhaps this facility could be added to TourneyBot instead to keep the bot count down.

Actually it would probably be easier and more useful to have MatchBot report directly to a FibsLeague reporting url. That would save more player effort and the site wouldn't have to get involved in the Fibs protocol, but it would also mean the service having to be reprogrammed if other and future Fibs tourney sites took up the idea of automatic match reporting. On the other hand the bot could be programmed to accept reporting urls to associate with given tourney sites. The players would then have to specify their tourney as well as that they are playing.

[Just thinking aloud here... ;)]

It's almost done with Tom who tested his bot with a page at FLG that post automatic result for a tourney. I will be ready to work on it and test it carefully at the beginning :happy: as soon as a bot is ready to do this. But this process can take some long time and be secure as I don't want it bring more drawback than the actual process.

JLee

Quote from: playBunny on May 08, 2008, 09:00:08 PM
There's room for MatchBot here.

This sounds pretty cool.  I can imagine that in order to actually use it, one would have to send a message to the bot saying, "record the results of my match".  It couldn't just willy nilly record the results of matches, because I might play a non-league match against one of my competitors.  It's unlikely, but definitely possible.

Also, this probably couldn't supplant the regular method... but you could use it to just take care of it for you.

So, I start playing a league match, then send a message:

tell MatchBot record

Then MatchBot knows to keep an eye out for the results of my match.  When it's over, MatchBot automatically posts AND confirms the match, as well as sending a message to each player informing them of this.

One of the pitfalls is if everybody starts thinking that MatchBot automatically records all results.

JLee

Hardy_whv

Quote from: JLee on May 09, 2008, 06:17:49 PM
One of the pitfalls is if everybody starts thinking that MatchBot automatically records all results.

Another pitfall might be, that you play a league opponent also in another match, i.e. in the Friday-3 tournament, or one Bago. But this match should not count both for the tournament and the league. How could MatchBot differ between a league match and a non-league match?

Hardy   B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

Tomawaky

Quote from: Hardy_whv on May 10, 2008, 08:21:49 AM
Another pitfall might be, that you play a league opponent also in another match, i.e. in the Friday-3 tournament, or one Bago. But this match should not count both for the tournament and the league. How could MatchBot differ between a league match and a non-league match?

Hardy   B)

The option Jlee talk about : "When start playing a league match, then send a message: tell MatchBot record"
Is maybe a good idea if another match is not finished before the league match which is running.

socksey

Tournament matches are usually shorter matches than league.   ;)

socksey

Sign on a Music Teacher's door:  Gone Chopin.  Bach in a minuet. - unknown

PersianLord

Quote from: socksey on May 10, 2008, 10:09:21 PM
Tournament matches are usually shorter matches than league.   ;)

socksey

Sign on a Music Teacher's door:  Gone Chopin.  Bach in a minuet. - unknown

exept for MGC's finals, lol  :cool:
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K