News:

want to modify your profile? -- top menu  here, then "modify profile" left menu- then "Forum Profile Information"

Main Menu

How to train with a bot?

Started by PersianLord, May 07, 2008, 09:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PersianLord

The BG softwares have greatly contributed to the improvement of the skill level of almost every player. But how can a BG enthusiast get the most from a software? What should be the settings? How to analyze your mistakes? etc etc.

Personally, when I work with GNUBG, I use these settings:

1-settings> analysis:

-skill level for both checker play and cube decisions to "expert", as it runs very fast and smooth and very strong as well. (stronger than almost ALL human fibsters)

-"move limit" to 10.

-In "skill thresholds", I change the "doubtful" threshold from 0.04 to 0.01, so GNUBG will alarm me even over the slightest eror.

2- Players:

I set the player 0 as GNUBG's expert at both checker play and cube decisions and the player 1 as human.

3-options>tutor

I tick the tutor option and set it's decisions same as analysis. I set the warning level at "doubtful" (0.01)

4- options>dispaly

I set the move delay to 1500 ms, so I can realize GNUBG's move better.

And for training, I play matches of various length against GNUBG, one with tutor and another without it. Then  I analyze me blunders in order to find whether they have a pattern or not. if a position which I had committed a mistake in is interesting, I usually post it in my blog, or here in fibsboard.

Any comment or suggestion?
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

Hardy_whv

Hi Ali!

1. I used to recommend, to switch Tutor-Mode off. However, I presently start to think, that this is a good option for a beginner. But you are not a beginner any more. For an experienced player I would prefer to play without Tutor and concentrate on your own play. Find the errors later with the analysis.

2. For the analysis "Expert" setting is okay for checker play in most cases. Only for very complex situations I'd recommend to use "World Class" or even "Supremo". However, "Expert" is bad for cube handling. GNUBG blunders with the cube regularly at "Expert" setting. So even if the computer is slow, I'd recommend not to use "Expert" for cube analysis.

3. The move filter is of only little interest, IMHO. I normally use the "normal" move filter. For complex positions (i.e. backgames) a bigger move filter may be better. But for such positions I'd recommend to conduct a rollout anyhow.

4. I experience for myself, that I often play to fast when playing a bot. Often I tend to take risky double, I'd never take live. So I try to concentrate and play the bot as if it was in a life tourney.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

PersianLord

Quote from: Hardy_whv on May 07, 2008, 10:59:17 PM
Hi Ali!

1. I used to recommend, to switch Tutor-Mode off. However, I presently start to think, that this is a good option for a beginner. But you are not a beginner any more. For an experienced player I would prefer to play without Tutor and concentrate on your own play. Find the errors later with the analysis.

2. For the analysis "Expert" setting is okay for checker play in most cases. Only for very complex situations I'd recommend to use "World Class" or even "Supremo". However, "Expert" is bad for cube handling. GNUBG blunders with the cube regularly at "Expert" setting. So even if the computer is slow, I'd recommend not to use "Expert" for cube analysis.

3. The move filter is of only little interest, IMHO. I normally use the "normal" move filter. For complex positions (i.e. backgames) a bigger move filter may be better. But for such positions I'd recommend to conduct a rollout anyhow.

4. I experience for myself, that I often play to fast when playing a bot. Often I tend to take risky double, I'd never take live. So I try to concentrate and play the bot as if it was in a life tourney.

Hardy  B)

Thanks Hardy for the input. :thumbsup:

For tutor mode, as said, I usually play one match with tutor mode on and immediately another one with the same match length without it. when it's on, it alarms me over my mistakes and make me ponder the position more which has been very useful for me. Then I take a look at tempretaure map, equities and think why it favores a certain move over anothers.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K