News:

VIP Donors can remain anonymous while still enjoying all the benefits.......

Main Menu

simple double elimination

Started by burper, March 02, 2004, 02:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

Wish list item:
Support a tournament style called 'doublebracket'  where 2 single-elimination brackets are maintained in the same tournament. Each registered player is entered (randomly) in both brackets. Adjust the messaging to reduce confusion where possible. Winners of both brackets, if different, paly each other in the final.

Much of the time, especially early on, a player may have 2 opponents. Sometimes people aren't ready, or there is a previous round in progress, so this might sometimes be a good thing. Sometimes people will have to wait, or play their other opponent if they have one. Overall, I don't think this will add much waiting to a standard tournament, or reduce any.

In any case, since this is based on code that already exists, it shouldn't be that hard to do?

MadMatt

This will probably have to wait for the new bracket-building algorithm. Unless there's much demand for it. Let's have a show of hands, who wants to see this implemented ASAP?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

JonJon

I would like to see it.

It would make tourneys that much more interesting, and therefore more popular. It would also attract better players who aren't currently participating because they think it would be too embarassing to lose a tourney.

So, I vote for a double elimination.

JJ

jinnate

more than a few players have indicated an interest in double brackets. the usual thing is "i lost. now what? that's it?" and, there's generally been good response to running a 2nd tourney for losers after the 1st tourney.

Kari_Grandi

Double-elim sounds a good idea.
Personally I would only do double-elimination tourney in blitzes. If longer matches, then the tourney might take a really long time since the losers side have to play a lot more matches, then the winners side (winners brackets winner may have to wait a looong time).
I ran double-elimination bracket a few months ago in FLG's tourney (Masters) and you can see the bracket here http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/tmaster.htm . It may be a bit hard to see how the losers side was advancing since I deleted all the little details from it while the tourney was advancing but maybe you get an idea from it.
I.e. in masters bracket, winners side winner had to win only 6 matches to win a whole tournament. Player who wins the tournament advancing from the losers bracket first round has to win 11 matches!!
Kari

burper

I think there are 2 separate ideas going on here, the more traditional double-elimination tournament style, and the one I propose which is very simple: create 2 identical single-elimination brackets with the winners of both playing each othe r for the final.

I did this using TB as-is, but the final was not handled by TB obviously. This should be very simple to implement, but there could be 2 opponents to play on someones' list at one time.

The more traditional double-elimination bracket style calls for 1 match at a time for a given player. It would be more work to implement, I assume.

MadMatt

It's not as simple as you think. TourneyBot would have to handle reporting and capturing results differently - what happens when two people play each other in both brackets? There is currently no syntax to specify which bracket when awarding wins or reporting losses - those commands would need an update as well. In addition, all the messaging would have to be revised to include bracket number information and I'm not sure that round and match classes wouldn't need an update, too.

It would mean a great load of writing and even moreso testing for me. Not everything is quite as easy as it seems at first glance.

But as I always say... I accept patches.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

Kari_Grandi

sorry burper, I didn't read your message carefully enough so I started to write about double-elimination tourneys.