News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2011 cheers! ..thx godwinson, webrunner, stog, spielberg*, hartkegirl, KissMyAss*, ettu*,  jackdaddy*, diane, caleb, sixty_something*, Zorba*, aviator, Tom*, anonymous*, roygbiv*, r_monk *

Main Menu

RepbotNG

Started by PolyphonicBrie, June 02, 2008, 02:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolyphonicBrie

Looks like Repbot is back - sort of.  It's called Repbot NG, and you can't complain or vouch (at all) but otherwise it seems to be the same.  Oh, and RepbotNG Help gives some warnings about it not being anything to do with Patti or FIBS.  Not sure if it did that before.

Hopefully it's a work in progress and will soon encompass all of Patti's requirements.

The interesting thing for me is that it integrates right back in with CocoaFIBS!

PB

PersianLord

Quote from: PolyphonicBrie on June 02, 2008, 02:05:03 PM
Looks like Repbot is back - sort of.  It's called Repbot NG, and you can't complain or vouch (at all) but otherwise it seems to be the same.  Oh, and RepbotNG Help gives some warnings about it not being anything to do with Patti or FIBS.  Not sure if it did that before.

Hopefully it's a work in progress and will soon encompass all of Patti's requirements.

The interesting thing for me is that it integrates right back in with CocoaFIBS!

PB

Yeah and it's also integrated with 3dfibs as well. Cheers!
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

inim

Your observation is correct, I'm running that bot from home using the database snapshot from April 30th 2008 23:00 UTC. Vouch and complain is currently disabled as it doesn't yet comply to Patti's requirement, which is a time limit that allows vouches/complaints only some time after a match (maybe 12h). Adding this code is work in progress.

I'm more or less taking over repbot maintainance, as avik doesn't react to email for 4 weeks now. The moment he comes back I'll happily hand it back if he wants to. For the time being I will migrate the code repository on sourceforge to my own project "openfibs" so the changes are transparent. I'll likely do minor other changes, such as porting the code to Java5 and add a blacklist for bots, which should not be allowed to vouch/complain automatically IMO. We have the gBot* abuse case on that.

As for hosting, I got 2 offers for a 24/7 hosting so far, but no shell access is possible for me yet. Once I get there, RepBot will be back permanently. Until then it only runs when my home machine is idle. If someboy wants to offer hosting, that is welcome still. Requirement is SSH access, a mysql 5 database, Java5 and about 100-200MB of permanently used RAM. CPU load and network traffic are moderate to low.

Please don't ask for new features currently, the bot is even back and running stable yet. I will use the sourceforge infrastructure to maintain bugs and feature requests later and post the respective URL here. FibsBoard can be used for ChitChat still, but I feel a real bugtracker is better suited to manage RepBot development.

That's it for now, I'll keep you updated of further developments.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

PolyphonicBrie

Great news.  Thank you.  Good luck!

PB

inim

Courtesy of jugger, RepBot now has a new permanent home. Thank you, juggler!
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

Luddite

Thank you thank you inim for RepBotNG!   :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:  What does NG stand for -- Next Generation?

I just played my first game with a stranger in many weeks, and it was a very pleasant encounter. 

I discovered one thing -- although you can't yet vouch or complain, you can withdraw.  I did this to a friend, and I wish I hadn't.  Can you remove the withdraw function until such time as vouch and complain are available? 

Again -- thank you!!

Bones

inim

Quote from: Luddite on June 04, 2008, 08:56:04 PM
I discovered one thing -- although you can't yet vouch or complain, you can withdraw.  I did this to a friend, and I wish I hadn't.  Can you remove the withdraw function until such time as vouch and complain are available? 

Right. The problem here is how to carry over the old database. One could simply reset it, but I feel that this would be like throwing away an asset. There is a lot of information in that DB, but unfortunately also abuse. I've talked to Patti about that and we figured out a way for sensible data cleansing. As the DB due to this will change, and it is a lot of work to maintain and synchronize several versions of the DB, it will be made "hot" again only after all the cleaning up took place (and after the DB is in it's final home, juggler's server).

The cleansing plan is like so:
1) All vouches/complaints from bots will be removed
2) All vouches/complaints from players who never played each other will be removed

2) becomes possible courtesy of the donation of old log data, but that step will take some additional time.

So consider the current DB to be a read-only snapshot as per April 30th, which will be thrown away later. It is there because that is still better than nothing, but not yet the real McCoy, which will be a purged (as per 1 and 2) DB based on the last known backup from April 30th.

P.S. To make the info complete: Since a long time repbot honors the lifecycle of users on fibs itself. If a user expires on fibs, so will all his vouches and complaints on repbot.

webrunner

Inim, you are THE MAN!!
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Patti

QuoteOh, and RepbotNG Help gives some warnings about it not being anything to do with Patti or FIBS.  Not sure if it did that before.

It was *supposed* to do that before, and I was assured that it did.  I suspect it either didn't do it at all, or did so inadequately.

inim

Quote from: Patti on June 05, 2008, 10:13:14 PM
It was *supposed* to do that before, and I was assured that it did.  I suspect it either didn't do it at all, or did so inadequately.

It does say it is not part of FIBS since 2002, see sourceforge SVN history.
http://repbot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/repbot/tags/release_1_8/src/net/sf/repbot/help.properties?revision=54&view=markup

It however never said anything about the saved games.

inim

I've copied the RepBot sources (latest version from trunk) to a new SVN home, as only avik can change them in the old location. The SVN history unfortunately did break because of this, change history was reset. The new development home for the time being now is http://sourceforge.net/projects/openfibs/

You can browse the source there and look at the changes to the original code. The most strinking changes so far are:

- build system was changed, was Ant and now is Maven2
- required Java version was changed, was 1.4.x and now is 1.6.x (likely 1.5.x will do, but not tested yet)
- minor fixes due to a date parsing bug which assumed RepBot runs on an OS with an EN_US locale, mine is DE_DE.

Großmaulfrosch

Quote from: inim on June 06, 2008, 02:35:15 PM
- minor fixes due to a date parsing bug which assumed RepBot runs on an OS with an EN_US locale, mine is DE_DE.

That is rather a bug in inim who is not able or willing to change the locale. But then inim is well known for putting the cart before the donkey.
Wo der Gaißenpeter herkommt, da meckern die Gaißen und nicht die Frauen.

socksey

QuoteWo der Gaißenpeter herkommt, da meckern die Gaißen und nicht die Frauen.

Translation, please, and let's not degrade inim, please, either.  He's doing us a great service, after all.   ;)

Btw, who is GroBmaulfrosch, anyway?

Ty............socksey

"The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other." - Ronald Reagan

Großmaulfrosch

Traduttore, traditore.
Wo der Gaißenpeter herkommt, da meckern die Gaißen und nicht die Frauen.

inim

RepBot is now functionally complete as per Patti's requirements, a release candidate version 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT has been deployed. Please note that the underlying database is not yet purged and will be reset in a few days for a last time. Nevertheless, please vouch and complain as usual to help me to test the changed code. Report any issue you find in this thread (prefered), or via message to  inim if that is not possible. Thank you!

Here is a brief list of user visible changes and caveats.

• 24 hours grace period: Vouches and complaints are enabled again, but are only allowed within 24 hours after the last match event (see definition below). Withdrawls of opinions are possible at any time. See example code output 1 for the new messages for denied opinions.

• Match Events: Match events are proper match starts, resumes, completed matches, and irregular match endings. Irregular endings include logouts via the "quit"-type commands, network errors, admin kick, "closed old connection" errors, connection timeouts and connection drops -- in short all known ways to drop a running match.  Any new match event restarts the clock for the 24 hour grace period.

• Random disclaimers displayed: Every 1 in 10 replies a disclaimer text is randomly added after the result of commands mentioning saved games (ask, friends, help, saved, list). See example code output 2. I am interested in particular if this new output causes problems with any client or bot, please report respective observations in this thread.

• New help topic: A new help topic "help disclaimer" was added, so the new disclaimer is always accessible via the help system.

• No self-complaints anymore: You are no longer allowed to complain about yourself. This has mainly techical reasons, it allows for a database optimization and shouldn't really hurt anybody.

• Database is still scratch: While vouching and complaining is enabled again, for a brief transitional period of a few days of beta testing new opinions will be lost later. The current DB will be replaced with the purged version of the backup from April 30th, 2008. This change will be announced here and in shout in time.

• Sources are available: The modified sources are available for review, see http://openfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openfibs/modules/repbot/

• Timer reliability: Great care has been taken to make the 24 hour grace period as exact as possible, but there is a systematic error of give and take one minute. The worst case scenario happens when RepBot restarts, and a running match (started before the bot restart) ends irregularily. In this case the 24 hours are still active, but only counting from the last match event, which typically is the match start. The only scenario in which RepBot completely fails to recognize a match is when it is started while the bot is down, then ends irregularily, and is never resumed later. As RepBot's average downtime per day is only a few seconds, this case should be neglectable.

Example code output 1:

You tell RepBotNG: complain Patti
RepBotNG says: You have no recent match with Patti, complaint denied.

You tell RepBotNG: vouch Patti
RepBotNG says: You have no recent match with Patti, voucher denied.

Example code output 2:

You tell RepBotNG: saved inim
RepBotNG says: inim has 3 saved games
RepBotNG says: DISCLAIMER: Saved game data may include games that were concluded during the last 24 hours, as well
as umlimited matches and matches in progress, see http://fibs.com/savedgames/.
RepBotNG says: RepBot is NOT provided by the fibs administrators, don't bother Patti about it.

Enjoy!

Patti

A one-minute systemic error?  I WON'T ALLOW IT!

I joke, I joke.  Inim has done an excellent job.  I would have been perfectly happy with a one-hour error, or even more, so long as the goal of "has played recently" was met.

PolyphonicBrie

Result!!!

Thanks Inim!

PB

socksey

Great work, inim!   :applaus:  I can't wait to get back to try it out!  :)  I guess my vouch record that I kept is unable to work now, tho, unless I play another match with the players I wanted to vouch for.   :mellow:

socksey

"Chaperons, even in their days of glory, were almost never able to enforce morality; what they did was to force immorality to be discreet. This is no small contribution." - Judith Martin

teyakis

Mookie

Indeed, I don't even have a desire to say something silly here.  VERY nice work, inim.  I'm impressed, and I'm thrilled that this worked out in a way that seems fair and makes everyone relatively happy.

Thanks much.