News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

Save position/tag position?

Started by juman, July 31, 2008, 08:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juman

When playing I sometimes want to go back to analyze a specific position to see if I made the right choice or so. Any ideas how to do this? I now I log the games and can convert them to import into gnubg but how do I easiest find my way back to a specific position?

stiefnu

Quote from: juman on July 31, 2008, 08:33:56 PM
When playing I sometimes want to go back to analyze a specific position to see if I made the right choice or so. Any ideas how to do this? I now I log the games and can convert them to import into gnubg but how do I easiest find my way back to a specific position?

You could quickly grab a screen shot, for subsequent analysis.  On my mac*, I keep an application called Grab in the dock.  Click on this, go to the Capture menu and pick Selection, then click n' drag across the area of screen you want a record of.  It's very quick to do but maybe best to say brb to your oppo first, fibsters tend to be an impatient lot  :-)

*  Presumably pea seas have something similar but I don't know what it's called.

PersianLord

Quote from: juman on July 31, 2008, 08:33:56 PM

1- If you want to see a specific position in a match you yourself have played :

- Go to 'view' option
- Tick the 'Game record'

A window on the right side of the software screen will open and you will see all the moves of the match. Also you can view the moves of a specific game, by choosing the desired game number from a bar in the upper right of the above mentioned window.

2- If you want to see a specific position in a match others have played and provided the Position ID and Match ID:

- Go to the 'view' option
- Tick the 'Command' option

A small bar under the 'game record' window (see above) will open. Then :

- Type in the bar : 'set board ******' and press the 'Enter' button. Instead of asterisks, you should copy the Position ID number.

- Type in the bar : 'set matchid *****' and press the 'Enter' button. Instead of asterisk, you should copy the match ID number.

Hope that helps.

Also don't forget to post a position you consider interesting here so we all can see it and take lessons  :thumbsup:

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

juman

Quote from: PersianLord on August 01, 2008, 09:30:10 AM
A window on the right side of the software screen will open and you will see all the moves of the match. Also you can view the moves of a specific game, by choosing the desired game number from a bar in the upper right of the above mentioned window.

Thanks for the tip but I know how to do it in gnubg but it would be so much easier if I could do it in javaFIBS as I don't have to go through a full game for a specific position =)

PersianLord

Quote from: juman on August 01, 2008, 07:06:17 PM
Thanks for the tip but I know how to do it in gnubg but it would be so much easier if I could do it in javaFIBS as I don't have to go through a full game for a specific position =)

I use 3dfibs as my GUI. So I don't know how to do it in Javafibs. Ask inim (if he has time and in the good mood) and you will get your answer.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

juman

I found a solution... if you set the gui to Motif or metal style you get a move counter in the right corner. This counter is not shown if you have the GTK setting...

socksey

Can you be more detailed in instruction?   :)

socksey

"The people are responsible for the character of their Congress.  If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption.  If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature." - James A. Garfield, 1831 â€" 1881

juman

Quote from: socksey on August 09, 2008, 06:00:06 PM
Can you be more detailed in instruction?   :)

Sure =) Start up JavaFibs and click Preferences -> Look & Feel -> Metal/Motif and when you play a match you will see a counter in the upper right corner... does that help?

socksey

I see a counter, but what does it mean?

socksey

"By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean." - Mark Twain

inim

In JF's board tab there is the "match recorder" in the upper right part of the window. It behaves like a tape recorder, i.e. you can walk trough moves with the arrow buttons and the board display will follow, respectively. You can also save any position as a Jellyfish "POS" format file, which can then be read by gnubg. This was fixed in the 1.010 release only, so be sure to have a recent version of JF installed.

The counter you see is the number of the half-move (i.e. the sequence number of moves in the match, counting both players). As Juman points out, there seems to be an issue with Java under some X11-based OS (linux, maybe MacOSX). Fixing this is out of scope for JF, as it is a native Java Runtime bug acknowledged by Sun. Simply wait for them to fix it ...

You can't expressly set markers with the recorder, but you can simply write down the move number and use the arrow keys later to go back there and look. Actually that works even in-match ;)
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

webrunner

BTW, that is also possible in delfibs, very cool feature :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |