News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

idiot's delight

Started by jinnate, March 10, 2004, 03:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinnate

This post is dedicated to Leone. Feel free to add your comments below, Leone.

I'll start with some background info. LeoneDaMan and millennium were scheduled to play in a tourney with a start time of 2:40 UTC (later if the min hadn't been reached). Both were playing other matches when the tourney started a little late (the min hadn't been reached). I told both they had until 2:53 UTC to start their tourney match. They both said fine. 2:53 came and went; both were still playing their other matches. I sent them both tells that I was flipping a coin to see who forfeited. Which I did. Leone lost the toss and was very upset. We had a long back-and-forth, which ultimately ended with me inviting him to use the forum to air his complaints. I've only included a portion of our back-n-forth below (i didn't keep all of it).

LeoneDaMan: i'm saying that by the time you get ready to decide on a winner, u shouldve checked if we were still playing. Cuz i was trying to get him to play before u tossed, get it? Might have been 2.54, who cares, playing is better than tossing in a tourney, no?

jinnate: Leone, i do a lot of typing. checking on players to make sure they're playing and the whole nine. it gets really hard when people are extending other matches, because that lengthens the tourney time and really throws other matches off. which means other players get upset because they have to wait around longer for their opponents. i think 7 mins is a little long for players who had a good idea of when the tourney was starting, and who got a 7-min grace period in addition to that. not only did i give you warnings, but when the time was up, i let you know what the deal was. what i hear you saying is that i should have given you yet more grace period because you and millenium would have really gotten your act together then. i'm not totally opposed to giving an extra minute or two if someone was playing and dropped (because they might have connection problems) or similar scenarios. what really galls me is that both of you would get the rules beforehand, warnings beforehand, and then have the gall to say, well, you should have given us even more chances. Running a tourney, leon, is hard work. well, not hard so much as not really f-ing easy. nad i like to play in mine, which makes it even more challenging. and when i have two knuckleheads who decide that the rules are for stretching as long as possible, i'm really disinclined to extend favors. ya know?

JonJon

Hell yeah.

You tell 'em Jinnate.

I am constantly amazed at how some people behave.

JJ

jinnate

it was funny, i was reading one of jonjon's posts (in a different topic on this forum) regarding getting people to play, and thought he just needed to soften up his attitude. well, when this thing with leone erupted, i really didn't want to hear a thing he had to say other than an apology for ignoring the time constraints for the tourney and for complaining because i enforced the rules.

i'm wondering if maybe other tourneybot mods should mediate conflicts btw a mod and player. or do we have enuf f-ing work already? my concern is that i'm not building up a lot of friction between myself and players because i'm pissed. and, even though the tourney doesn't affect much at this point (like fibs ratings, or great prizes and such), i imagine that as it develops it will. so, should there be a way for players to complain/feel heard and work out their differences with a mod's call/decision?

klic

Well, just to add it here, thanks to all TDs. I can imagine this being hard and at times really unsatisfying work, especially with players who behave like that. At times I do not join a tourney just because it often gets too long for me (working the day and in the evening most tourneys are understandably scheduled for a different timezone :-)
Yes, I would definitely say the TDs have to draw a straight line. And if the tourney says, you have 7 minutes, well, tough luck, you have 7 minutes and that's it. Enough time to explain your actual opponent that you have to suspend that match for a while while playing your scheduled match.
And yes, probably this would be a feature for tourneybot as it's much harder to argue with software than with human beings :-)

burper

Some of this is cultural. There was a time when it was perfectly acceptable to leave matches and continue them later. I mean really, who can scedule their lives around FIBS? It seems to be a stigma now.

TourneyBot is still new and the norms are still being defined. Flash tournaments are difficult. People are logged in to play, not wait around, so of course they start matches. What we have to get to, is a place where people can do this while suspending matches and not getting their opponents upset.

JonJon

Well you wouldn't be the only people to think I need to lighten up.

On the subject of saving matches...I don't mind when someone politley asks me to save a match to continue later, especially when they admit right from they start they are signed up for a tourney, and might need to leave to play in the tourney. No problem.

But when people KNOW they are gonna be in a tourney, and then invite or accept an invite for a long match...I mean...C'Mon. Don't expect people to revolve around you.

I say let the TDs act as referees and make their own judgments and decisions on a case by case basis. If someone gets pissy cause they got tossed or disagree with a TD ruling...too damn bad for them. Don't play in that TD's tourneys anymore.

JJ

webrunner

:huh:
I really don't know what the issue is here.
I don't seem to get what is so upsetting in leaving a match and finishing it later, as long as you tell your opponent.
I never had any problem with that, either way, in 10 years.

So.. if you choose to be in a tourney: be in the tourney, otherwise DON'T ENTER IT!

I think the time limit of 7 minutes is more then enough. In fact i would reccomend 5 or ever 3 minutes.

This way we can also do more tourneys after one another, wich gives people the choice to catch this train or the next.

In short: i'm with you Jinnate!

Just try to keep the language on this forum clean, and (you know what i mean).
Trolls and swearing are not apreciated here.

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Kari_Grandi

QuoteI think the time limit of 7 minutes is more then enough. In fact i would reccomend 5 or ever 3 minutes.

I've been using 7 minutes since my first tourney and IMO that should be enough. 5 or 3 minutes is a bit short if i.e. your computer crashes and you have to boot (might take pretty long time if player is having an old computer).

QuoteThis way we can also do more tourneys after one another, wich gives people the choice to catch this train or the next.

Well, having a tourney after another might not be such a good idea. Every TD's wants to have a lot of players in their tourneys and players try to play a bit better in their matches when they know, that next one is coming few hours later !!?? ;).

QuoteJust try to keep the language on this forum clean, and (you know what i mean).

WTG Eric, lets keep this forum troll-free zone :)