News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

Tourneybot meets mgnu bots

Started by webrunner, March 13, 2004, 12:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

Hi,
I was talking to Jinnate the other day and had a crazy idea.

It would be nice if we could let mgnu bots enter the tourneys, to fill the empty spots.

I could ask the programmer of the bot if he could implement that, but first i would like to know what you guys think of it.

In my opinion they should not auto-join the tournaments but only when invited by tourneybot (initiated by a TB operator).

The down side of bots entering tourneys is that some players maybe won't think it's fair and object.
Also the bots would probably win at least half the tournaments. :angry:

Do you have any ideas on this?
MadMatt: is this easy to omplement in TB?

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

MadMatt

This could be useful when you need just one more player (or two) to have a nice number bracket, I'd been thinking about it myself.

There are both good and downsides to it.

Good:
  • complete the bracket
  • it'd be interesting to see how many tourneys they win
  • we could hold bot tourneys to see which one's the strongest
  • another nice feature for the mgnu bots and TourneyBot as well
  • bots play fast, less hold ups in tourneys
  • we want to include everyone in this, so why leave out bots? we're not bot-prejudiced :)
Bad:
  • More work for me
  • More work for me
  • Neverendless whining by people who get matched-up with a bot
  • Stability. THis goes both ways, if TourneyBot's not there/malfuctioning it might break the bots... If the bots are not there/malfunctioning it could break TourneyBot
  • the bots are incredibly strong, would they win too many tourneys?
  • bots have many many saved games. How to get around that, if they're paired up with someone they have a saved game with?
  • Did I mention that'd mean more work for me? ;)
  • What happens if a bot wins a prize tourney?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

JLee

Don't do it -- It's a good idea in theory, but I promise you that when implemented, it will cause way more trouble than you want with people complaining.  Byes are much, much better.

Besides, in a tournament, I want to play people.  I can play the bots anytime, but a tournament is a fun competition with people.  I like the human element.

JLee

burper

Yeah, I vote no. JLee has it right.

JonJon

I vote no as well.

But it would be fun to enter all the bots into a bots ony tourney, or better yet series of tourneys. That would be interesting to watch.

JJ

Tomawaky

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

JLee

I like JonJon's idea... something like this happened once, where the bots were set to play each other.  It drew great interest.

JLee

diane

A big resounding no here as well - sorry  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Kari_Grandi

I dont think either, that bots should play in normal tourneys.

Anyway, I'm very interested to see mgnu_bots playing each other in their own tourney :)

webrunner

OK OK OK.. it was just an idea !!   ;)

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |