News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

New Tourney Type

Started by Tom, November 17, 2008, 04:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have been working on a Single Elimination tourney.

Yes the Bracket Type on the surface is the same type, but some of the internals were are hard to make some changes in.
I decide to create a new type to insure the previously played tourneys would still be accessible.

The SE supports Seeding by Rating, it also distributes the Byes evenly among the top seeds and in general
provides for proper brackets. It can even maintain a ASCII bracket.
(which is really an extension of the POST form I added the the basic Tourney type (foundation of all tourney types)

I am also in the process of testing the player clocks with LONG timeouts (days not minutes) to entertain multi-day tourneys.

So one questions I do have...

Now that I have Seeding by Rating I was wondering what other seeding would be fun or useful to have.
Clearly Random (like Brackets are) is a good one, here is my working list:

• Rating
  • Random
  • Registration Order
  • Experience
  • Name (what the heck :))

I would choose Rating as the default

I am not going to change the Bracket type in any way

tom

adrian

Greetings Tom !

Since seems easy to implement, I'd say add them all, especially reg. order and name.

:thumbsup2:
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

sixty_something

i'd opt for keeping it simple and add only a seed by RATING option to the current CREATE BRACKET which, as i understand it, would remain a RANDOM seeding with an even and random distribution of byes .. seed by RATING would also yield byes distributed to top rated players

the only other option i see as potentially useful would be MANUAL where the TD could construct the brackets as necessary perhaps using an assigned priority for byes or seed order from 0-n, different from rating .. for example, in my BMSC tourney i would like the ability to first assign byes, if any, to players who won more than two weekly Bloody Mary tourneys during the regular season, next to players who won two .. thereafter assignment of byes could be based on other criteria or simply by rating as a tie breaker

also, i think keeping the default for seeding and bye distribution as RANDOM is preferable to by RATING .. both have their benefits, but for most regular tourneys RANDOM has become the accepted standard .. certainly for some tourneys seeding and bye distribution by RATING is clearly best .. i don't see much benefit in using Exp or Registration Order .. by name, while doable, seems almost silly .. another option is by Reputation, but then socksey will get all the byes ;)

so, keep it simple is my suggestion .. that is, two options, RANDOM and RATING, with RANDOM as the default .. for me, if MANUAL is doable, i'd use it on season championships, but i doubt many others would find it useful
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

Quotebut then socksey will get all the byes

Hey, I like that idea!  :laugh:  Just kidding!  Please don't make it so complicated that I won't know how to be a TD any more.   :laugh:

socksey

"If the First Amendment means anything, it means that a state has no business telling a man, sitting alone in his house, what books he may read or what films he may watch." - Justice Thurgood Marshall (1908-1993) US Supreme Court From a unanimous court opinion (1969)

Tom

Quote from: sixty_something on November 17, 2008, 09:57:23 PM
i'd opt for keeping it simple and add only a seed by RATING option to the current CREATE BRACKET which, as i understand it, would remain a RANDOM seeding with an even and random distribution of byes .. seed by RATING would also yield byes distributed to top rated players
I have not (and will not) make any of these changes to the Bracket type - is it just to hard, I had to re-work a bunch of code to get these things done.

I suppose I could create a Single if you said Bracket, I guess there could be no harm in that.

the only other option i see as potentially useful would be MANUAL where the TD could construct the brackets as necessary perhaps using an assigned priority for byes or seed order from 0-n, different from rating .. for example, in my BMSC tourney i would like the ability to first assign byes, if any, to players who won more than two weekly Bloody Mary tourneys during the regular season, next to players who won two .. thereafter assignment of byes could be based on other criteria or simply by rating as a tie breaker
Manual, interesting, maybe I could use the ALLOW list to set the seeding of those who register, I will think about that more

also, i think keeping the default for seeding and bye distribution as RANDOM is preferable to by RATING .. both have their benefits, but for most regular tourneys RANDOM has become the accepted standard .. certainly for some tourneys seeding and bye distribution by RATING is clearly best .. i don't see much benefit in using Exp or Registration Order .. by name, while doable, seems almost silly .. another option is by Reputation, but then socksey will get all the byes ;)

so, keep it simple is my suggestion .. that is, two options, RANDOM and RATING, with RANDOM as the default .. for me, if MANUAL is doable, i'd use it on season championships, but i doubt many others would find it useful

I don't know that most players (or all if they did not look closely) would have noticed the difference between Random and Rating
Maybe I can have Bracket = SE w/Random and SINGLE = SE w/Rating as the defaults

I agree some of those seedings are silly, but they are good for April 1st and New Years day, etc
Reputation - No way, too complex to get the data from Rep Bot...

tom