News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2010 cheers! .....webrunner, stog, spielberg, jackdaddy, adrian, BallardBG, diane , anononymous , Zorba , sixty_something, ah_clem , kapiti , Drake ,aviator & r_monk

Main Menu

Problems with JavaFIBS *11

Started by mucki, December 02, 2008, 08:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mucki

Hi,

i installed the latest version of JavaFIBS on a Windows Vista box with the latest Sun Java version. After leaving JavaFIBS all preferences get lost.

Any ideas ? Do you need more information ?

Thx,

Mucki

spielberg

How are you leaving JF? To write and save your preferences it needs to be shut "properly" either with a click on the X box top right of the frame or via JavaFibs , quit top left menu. If it's not that that's causing the problems it will be an unidentified route for your preferences (unless it's a bug in the "latest" version).

mucki

Hi Spielberg,

Quote from: spielberg on December 03, 2008, 11:56:19 AM
How are you leaving JF? To write and save your preferences it needs to be shut "properly" either with a click on the X box top right of the frame or via JavaFibs , quit top left menu. If it's not that that's causing the problems it will be an unidentified route for your preferences (unless it's a bug in the "latest" version).

i am quitting regulary via the menu entry. First i thought the problem is caused by my installation "over" the old one (*09) but i did a clean installation afterwards and the problem is still there. I tested it on a linux box aswell and had no problem.

Greetings from Germany,

Maurice aka Mucki

spielberg

Try exiting with the X button in the top right - I'm running a different (and better!) version of JF so can't really be that much help I'm afraid. inim , your fellow German , is likely to know the answer as are Cthulu and Tom.

spielberg aka Steve (English but I am European damnit - little englanders irritate me even more than dropper scum!)

mucki

Hi,

Quote from: spielberg on December 03, 2008, 04:53:19 PM
Try exiting with the X button in the top right

as expected there is no difference. I think i will use an older version instead. Just as another peace of information, on a XP prof. Box with SP3 i do not have these problems. Seems to be a Vista Problem.

Th@nx,

Mucki

inim

Quote from: socksey on December 05, 2008, 02:14:08 PM
All info is lost when you reinstall any version.  To keep information, you must "disconnect" first, then "exit".

Hm, I don't think so :) All your settings, villains list etc. are maiontained in the folder $JAVAFIBS/user/yournic/*. The files there are updated when you leave JF "properly", which means you exit it and not simply kill the process. The latter can happen with the OSX menues, there is a Java workaround possiblee ebut not implemented. The 100% safe way to enforce saving is to leave JF via the "FIBS -> Exit" menue. It saves you settings, regardless whether you are connected or not then.

Thus you can at any time "carry over" your settings by copying the "user" folder into your fresh install. You can carry over your stats by copying the matches folder, too. There is a minor incompatibility between 1.009 and later versions of the prefs files, but JF 1.010+ has code in it to auto-upgrade your prefs sileeently. Ony situation which may cause a problem is when you copy 1.010+ prefs BACK into a 1.009 installation.

As for the issue with Vista, one thing i could think of to cause the problem is write access to folders. Javafibs needs full read-write priviledges to it's $JAVAFIBS/user folder. Vista enforces new security constraints w/r to write access in the "c:\program files" folder. I can't teest it, but it may be that JF is simply denied to write preferences there. Simple workaround thus is to put your installation on some less secured place in the file system, such as your per-user data folder.

This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

socksey

I was relaying my previous experience.   :mellow:  That's why I have't updated my current version of javafibs.   :laugh:

socksey

Take time to laugh for it is the music of the soul. - unknown

inim

Quote from: socksey on December 06, 2008, 07:09:59 PM
I was relaying my previous experience.   :mellow:  That's why I have't updated my current version of javafibs.   :laugh:

You don't have to worry to that extend, the incompatible change is very minor. It mainly is the way in which "look and feel" is stored, so if you copy a 1.0.11 seetting back to 1.0.09 thee worst effect will be a random look and feel. Set a new one manually in the pulldown menus and you arre set again. The development goal was to have them 100% compatible, but the L&F was one thing which for technical reasons couldn't be compatible. The rest is.

Fear you not, as long as you backup the "user" and the "matches" folders, you can not lose data.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.