News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

Get rid of Match Converter!

Started by Chris, December 28, 2008, 02:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey developers,

thanks for JavaFIBS! I have a suggestion: Save all matches in Jellyfish format by default and remove the "Match Converter" entry.
Little more work for the computer, less for the user. And users don't have to wonder about that button. Less is more!

Chris

diane

This is half done already, the matches are already automatically saved in jellyfish format in the new javafibs version.  I am not sure why the option to match convert is still there, maybe it was a potential problem to remove it, or maybe it was left there for those who use it - maybe it allows more functionality. I can only guess, because I am a simple user only  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

inim

Quote from: Chris on December 28, 2008, 02:59:44 PM
Save all matches in Jellyfish format by default and remove the "Match Converter" entry.
Little more work for the computer, less for the user. And users don't have to wonder about that button. Less is more!

The match converter dialog can do batch jobs, i.e. convert many games at once. I don't think that feature should be given up for no reason, as the "button" needs no resources unless actually used. And I'm fine with the label too, it indeed is a "Match converter", what exactly is confusing there?

This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

Chris

Hm, I think I have the newest version and there is no autoconvert. Did I miss something?
I'm using version 1.011 on a Mac, as I only have Java 1.5, I use JavaFIBS-1.0.11_JDK13.jar.

diane

You have to toggle it on.  Under 'preferences', in the bottom section there are tick boxes, if you tick the second one down - 'automatic jellyfish export', that will do it for you  :cool:

I forgot to mention that in my first post  :blush:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Chris

Ah, cool! Thanks Diane!

So I change my suggestion: Don't remove "Match Converter", it indeed might be helpful for old matches.
But make jellyfish default and remove that tick box, users are too stupid!  :happy:

sixty_something

Quote from: inim on December 28, 2008, 09:20:50 PM
The match converter dialog can do batch jobs, i.e. convert many games at once.
i didn't know that we could convert more than one game at a time .. i just tried it .. it works and follows Windows conventions for selecting multiple files .. select the first with point and click, hen select the last in a range by holding down the Shift-key and clicking on the next one .. to select multiple files not in consecutive order by holding down the Ctrl-key and clicking on any number of additional files individually .. the two procedures can be used together to create almost any desired batch .. so, another way cool feature of JavaFIBS

i also didn't know i could set automatic Jellyfish export .. i guess that's a new feature .. i don't have the latest version yet as i subscribe to the if it ain't broke, don't fix it school for software upgrades and JavaFIBS 2001 v 1.009 has worked fine for me for some time .. while Chris's "Less is more" philosophy is right on, familiarity and stability helps, too .. for example, i'm clueless when it comes to even the simplest operations on a Mac where i am continually confused by elegance and simplicity .. i'd almost rather see a good old fashioned C:> prompt in MS-DOS and use WordStar than try to learn whatever the Mac's newest word processor does .. so, "Match Converter" works for old timers like me as well as old matches ;)
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me