News:

enjoy the front page random images , random like dice on fibs! ethereal not material, and try and name them ..

Main Menu

Java 6 update 11 problems

Started by jdg, January 12, 2009, 08:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdg

After installing Java version 6 update 11, the jf GUI got flaky.  I backed out the java update to 1.6.07 and all it well.

Any workaround to get jf to work with the latest update?

jdg

spielberg

My Java also needed the update to 6.11 which I've done and my JavaFibs behaves exactly as it did before.

inim

Java 6 Update 10 (and up) is a lot more than an update, in it large parts of the core GFX and GUI engine were rewritten under the hood - not at least to support Window Vista's new features such as 3D user interface and 100% vector graphic based GUI. Java 6 Update 7 was the last release with the "classic", pixel oriented GUI code (8 and 9 don't exist). For more details of the U10 release, which I personally would call Java 6.5 rather than the understated "Update 10", see https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6u10ea.html

Obviously the new GFX engine utilizes your operating system GUI drivers a lot more and in more sophisticated ways. So I strongly recommend to update your native GFX card drivers, and if you are on Windows, your DirectX libraries. Let me add that JDK6U10 and U11 work perfectly for me with JavaFibs on several GFX cards, including ATI Radeon, Matrox G400, and NVidia GForce with recent drivers.

I've seen minor issues, e.g. a one-time flicker when the first checker is moved on Radeon. Doesn't happen on the other two. This emphasizes how dependent JDK6U10 is on good GFX drivers.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

jdg

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm having the problem on a 3 year old laptop, which will have even weaker graphics boards/drivers than normal.  Problem is that, after clocking the dice to finish a move, there is a full one second delay as jf tries to remove the dice from the screen -- the erase of the dice picture is visible -- line by line.  Still plays, however.

jdg

spielberg

Inim's FAR more techie than me as you'll have noticed. Don't forget tho' that almost certainly your laptop graphics boards drivers will have been updated several times in the three years since it was new - have you updated them?

Tom

What is strange is I still jave Java 6 update 4 and recently my Friends list started vanishing and I need to reload the program to get it back

Zorba

Quote from: jdg on January 17, 2009, 02:28:03 PM
Problem is that, after clocking the dice to finish a move, there is a full one second delay as jf tries to remove the dice from the screen -- the erase of the dice picture is visible -- line by line.  Still plays, however.

I got the exact same problem. I'd say it might be close to a two seconds delay even. Does not happen to opponent's dice. Very weird problem, and pretty annoying. I think my move is actually only send to the server after the delay...

I've updated my gfx drivers but that didn't help. Ati Radeon X1050 here.

I've been wondering if using several java applications at once might be the problem. In the past, that sometimes didn't go too well.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill