News:

Become a VIP .....appreciate Fibsboard? don't like ads, Y not http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

FLG TL Standings

Started by sixty_something, January 31, 2009, 10:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

Mid-Season TL Standings

I have been a little confused and frustrated by the TL standings, as I'd like to better understand where our team, the WonderJammers, are relative to the other teams in our division. So, I took a look at them from a different perspective. Additionally, the soccer-like standings, dependent on completed team matches like souptree's TL standings last season, are simply not very meaningful until almost all team matches are completed. I solved that problem in previous Team Leagues with a simulation model, which was reasonalbly accurate at predicting the winning teams and order of finish, but time doesn't permit adapting that model to FLG TL this season, at least not today.

Here is a simple alternative look from a baseball perspective, i.e. simplY total wins and losses by team. GB below means Games Behind, Pct is simply winning percentage. GB is a reflection of the combined wins and losses needed for any team to catch the team ahead. Thus, GB equal 2 means the team behind must win 4 to catch the team ahead, or win 2 in combination with 2 loses by the team ahead.

Finally, I took a look at the Wild Card Race for the fourth team to make the playoffs. Then, after a good nap, I realized the thing I missed most was seeing who is on each team. So, I added player names to the right of each team.

Again, since this is just an approximation of relative standings based on total wins and losses of each team, it is entirely unofficial and offered as a just another way of seeing the race mid-season. Final standings will, of course, be based ONLY on the official FLG website. Until then, enjoy this new look at the race and the WonderJammers are in the thick of it!

[table=]
BEAVER Division           ,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
TheGammonators,
-
, jimgibbs, MJTAMV, vagrant
FullPrimeTime,
, jukins, TheDumbSmartGuy, _Z_
WonderJammers,
, jdg, sixty_something, Zorba
DGteam,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
RuthlessWarriors,
, Mort, PersianLord, sunray
TrailofPips,
, fortuna, jackdaddy, Jack_Shit
TeamTruffles,
, johnwayne, onion, WildThing
NoName,
, babyjim, Derby, Gammonrider
[/table]

[table=]
JACOBY Division,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
ShouldIStayShouldIGo,
-
, butterfly, gnomysTwo, roadkillbooks
TheCubeSluts,
, Backwoods, diane, donzaemon
DieDreiMusketiere,
, Joyce, PHunter, RickrInSF
Libertad,
, chopos, juanz, _centasivo
SurpriseTeam,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
goooo,
, Im_not_gimmeluck, resh_lakish, spielberg
TheCubes,
, hunter, paulc, _loak
[/table]

[table=]
CRAWFORD Division        ,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
ShakeRattle&Roll,
-
, dorbel, gumpi, mradica
TheMisfits,
, BillyCraven, blitzxz, skater
OttomansEmpire,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
TheFrenchies,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
WhupAssWorldwide,
, blotsalot, elmicho, Kari_Grandi
Racing-Snails,
, aakjaer, Pernot_Ricard, Samir
schigstogsedat,
, Schigolch, sedat, stog
[/table]

WILD CARD RACE
[table=]
Team, Division,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
FullPrimeTime, Beaver,
-
WonderJammers, Beaver,
TheCubeSluts, Jacoby,
DGteam, Beaver,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
DieDreiMusketiere, Jacoby,
TheMisfits, Crawford,
SurpriseTeam, Jacoby,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
Libertad, Jacoby,
[/table]

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

sixty_something

TL Standings -- February 2nd

The Race

With only a few TL matches played since Saturday, there aren't too many changes in the standings since my last post other than the appearance of TheFrenchies in the wild card race. But today seemed like a good day for my first update. I will continue to make updates adding new features with each post. With this post, the new features are internal to my spreadsheets making subsequent posts easier to publish here at FIBSboard. For anyone interested, I will provide a complete copy of the Excel spreadsheets used to do an update (an Excel Web query) from the FLG TL web site.

Each team is scheduled to play 9 matches (3x3) against every team in its division. With 8 teams in the BEAVER Division, that's 63 matches shown as W and L below; 54 each in the JACOBY and CRAWFORD Divisions with 7 teams in those divisions. A quick glance at the totals played suggests most teams are approaching the three-quarter pole in the race to the finish, some are well beyond it. While the last day of play is scheduled for 28-Feb, we are much closer to determining the playoff teams than the calendar suggests.

The beauty of the GB (Games Behind) calculation in these standings is that regardless of the number of individual matches (games) played by any two teams the GB value is the exact number of wins required for a trailing team to catch the leader or the combined wins and losses of a trailing team and the leading team. Of course, the total matches played is a better determinant for understanding how a team will finish. Generally, the more matches played the more likely a team will remain in that position in these standings. Teams with fewer matches played have a greater chance of moving up or down in the final standings.

A subsequent update will include a look at how close teams are to clinching a spot in the playoffs, being eliminated, and how they must do in order to catch the leader using TEAM MATCHES. not just individual matches.

Disclaimer

These standings are simply an approximation of relative standings based on total wins and losses of each team, it is entirely unofficial and offered as a just another way of seeing the race. While it may appear some teams are close to clinching a playoff spot and others eliminated from any but a spoiler role, remember the actual final standings are not based on a teams win loss record for individual matches, W and L below. The official standings are based on the outcome of TEAM MATCHES, not individual matches. Thus, the following caveat should always apply when viewing my standings.

Final FLG TL standings will, of course, be based ONLY on the official FLG website.

The Standings

[table=]
BEAVER Division,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
TheGammonators,
-
, jimgibbs, mjtamv, vagrant
FullPrimeTime,
WonderJammers,
DGteam,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
RuthlessWarriors,
TrailofPips,
TeamTruffles,
NoName,
[/table]

[table=]
ShouldIStayShouldIGo,
-
TheCubeSluts,
DieDreiMusketiere,
Libertad,
SurpriseTeam,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
goooo,
TheCubes,
, hunter, paulc, _loak
[/table]

[table=]
CRAWFORD Division,   W   ,   L   ,   Pct   ,   GB   , Team members
ShakeRattle&Roll,
-
, dorbel, gumpi, mradica
TheMisfits,
TheFrenchies,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
OttomansEmpire,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
WhupAssWorldwide,
Racing-Snails,
schigstogsedat,
, Schigolch, sedat, stog
[/table]

WILD CARD RACE
[table=]
FullPrimeTime,Beaver,
-
WonderJammers, Beaver,
TheCubeSluts, Jacoby,
DGteam, Beaver,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
TheMisfits, Crawford,
SurpriseTeam, Jacoby,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
Libertad, Jacoby,
TheFrenchies, Crawford,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
[/table]

The Day

Today we celebrate three holidays, all of them from the same source.

February 2nd is a "cross-quarter" day in the solar calendar, which means that it falls exactly between a solstice and an equinox.

It's the ancient Celtic celebration of Imbolc, in honor of Brigit, the goddess of fire, poetry, healing, and childbirth. Brigit brings the healing power of the sun back to the world on Imbolc, a day that carries the first promise of spring. Imbolc comes from the Old Irish i mbolg, meaning "in the belly," because this is the time when ewes became pregnant to deliver spring lambs.

The Christians took over the Celtic celebration and made February 2nd into a Christian holiday, Candlemas Day. Candlemas Day celebrates the presentation of Jesus at the Temple exactly 40 days after Christmas.
There are many old sayings about today â€" about the emergence of animals from their winter dens and omens that predict the season ahead. One English saying goes:

If Candlemas day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight.
But if Candlemas day bring clouds and rain,
Winter is gone and won't come again.

There was a tradition in many European countries of watching animals â€" especially badgers â€" to see how they acted on this day. If they returned to their dens, it meant that there was still a long winter ahead.

German immigrants in Pennsylvania found that there weren't a lot of badgers in America, but there were a lot of groundhogs, so the holiday evolved into Groundhog Day. The first reference to Groundhog Day is from 1841, in the diary of a storekeeper in Morgantown, Pennsylvania. He wrote: "Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks' nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate."

-- from The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor

e-mail me

sixty_something

Preliminary Final TL Standings -- March 4th

Disclaimer

These standings are simply an approximation of relative standings based on total wins and losses of each team, as currently posted at the FLG website. These standings are entirely unofficial and offered as a just another way of seeing the race. Please note, this is not a simulation, it is an accurate summary of the table labeled Résultats and derived solely from the current team-by-team W-L totals therein. Remember the actual final FLG TL Standings are not based on a teams total win loss record for individual matches, W and L below. The official standings are based on the outcome of TEAM MATCHES, not individual matches. Thus, the following caveat should always apply when viewing these standings.

Final FLG TL standings will, of course, be based ONLY on the official FLG website.

Possible Errata

The PF/PA totals at the website are not in balance with these W-L numbers. I am not sure why. It appears that Tomawaky attempted to backout forfeits he awarded earlier. As a result even the current Team Match point totals are somewhat suspect.

I do know that for my team the WonderJammers we have two more wins than appear in the list for Matches of a Team as jdg somehow managed to get matches against two players who disappeared toward season end, Jack_Shit and Derby. They were erroneously removed. Even if included, the wild card race below is not seriously effected as our line would read WonderJammers 31 26 .544 moving us up just one place in the order of finish.

Finally, while I have checked and double checked these totals, I cannot verify their complete accuracy. To develop these totals required an absurdly complicated process of importing data into an Excel spreadsheet from the official website. It was not as absurdly complex as running simulation models would have been, but there remains the possibility of error in these totals as well.

My Proposal

Given the confusion historically caused at the end of each TL season due to unplayed matches and possible forfeits and the relatively meaningless day-to-day standings as we wait for a Team Match win to be awarded, also a historical problem, I seriously propose we consider simply using a system based on total Wins and Losses to determine the TL championship each season, perhaps even including this season.

Additionally, another issue we haven't yet addressed is resolved by this approach. With 8 teams in the Beaver Divisoin and only 7 in the Jacoby and Crawford, using Team Match points to determine the winner of the Wild Card race is just not fair to the teams in the smaller divisions as teams in the Beaver Division play 7 matches each, not 6.

Traditionally we have used soccer like standings for TL, i.e. awarding two points for a team win and one point for a tie. Such an approach has its virtues, but given that it seems almost impossible to have a TL season end with all matches played, I think it needs to be seriously reconsidered. Most importantly, IMHO, standings based on total wins and losses like these below are relevant from day one of play. The GB number accurately reflects the relationship in the standings for any two teams within their division and in the Wild Card Race, regardless of how many games or individual matches have been played. GB is defined as the combined number of wins and losses required for a trailing team to catch a team in the lead. For those not familiar with GB, see the Wiki article on Games Behind.

So, my proposal is to consider simply using total wins and losses for determing the division winners and, more importantly, the results fo the wild card race. A quick comparison shows the only difference in the results is in the Beaver Division, by far the most competive division this season.

The Wild Card Race which was much closer than any of us were probably ever aware. It also ended with a unique situation described in the Wiki article on GB. The team with the second best winning percentage, TheMisfits is tied in GB with DGteam. In a situation like this, if I were the FLG TL TD, I would give the win in the Wild Card Race to TheMisfits since they have won more games than DGteam. Since they were both in divisions with 7 teams, it seems fitting to award the apparent tie to the team that played more games. Had one of the teams been in the 8 team division, it would be a harder call and perhaps would deserve a playoff.

But, hey, it's not my call. That's why we pay Tomawaky the big bucks to decide all things TL. But if I were the ruler of this little world, I'd be satisfied with the outcome below as a fair and accurate reflection of our final standings, even though I have knocked my WonderJammers out of the apparent lead in the Wild Card Race - c'est la vie.

While the issue of an incentive for completing all matches is not directly evident in this proposal, it is clear that the current and traditional TL approach of awarding 2 points for a completed team match isn't working for geting players to complete all their matches. I sincerely believe that if standings like these were available from day one, teams in contention, particularly in the very close Wild Card Race, would know they are in contention and know what impact completing more matches might have in the standings. If any of us were aware of how close the wild card race really was, I am sure we would have been very motivated to finsih any remaining matches. That is the best of all possible worlds, IMHO.

A final benefit of this proposal is that it potentially eliminates the always contentious issue of awarding forfeits. If we are aware of the exact standings from day one and still miss a match for whatever reason, I'd suggest that is just the breaks of the game and thus no forfeits need be considered.

Now, before reading further, go back and carefully re-read my Disclaimer.

The Unofficial Final Standings

[table=]
TheGammonators,
-
DGteam,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
FullPrimeTime,
WonderJammers,
RuthlessWarriors,
NoName,
TrailofPips,
TeamTruffles,
[/table]

[table=]
ShouldIStayShouldIGo,
-
TheCubeSluts,
DieDreiMusketiere,
SurpriseTeam,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
Libertad,
goooo,
TheCubes,
, hunter, paulc, _loak
[/table]

[table=]
ShakeRattle&Roll,
-
, dorbel, gumpi, mradica
TheMisfits,
OttomansEmpire,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
TheFrenchies,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
WhupAssWorldwide,
schigstogsedat,
, Schigolch, sedat, stog
Racing-Snails,
[/table]

WILD CARD RACE
[table=]
TheMisfits,Crawford,
-
DGteam, Beaver,
-
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
FullPrimeTime, Beaver,
TheCubeSluts, Jacoby,
OttomansEmpire, Crawford,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
WonderJammers, Beaver,
RuthlessWarriors, Beaver,
TheFrenchies, Crawford,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
[/table]
e-mail me

sixty_something

Preliminary Final TL Standings -- March 4th (Updated)

Disclaimer

These standings are simply an approximation of relative standings based on total wins and losses of each team, as currently posted at the FLG website. These standings are entirely unofficial and offered as a just another way of seeing the race. Please note, this is not a simulation, it is an accurate summary of the table labeled Résultats and derived solely from the current team-by-team W-L totals therein. Remember the actual final FLG TL Standings are not based on a teams total win loss record for individual matches, W and L below. The official standings are based on the outcome of TEAM MATCHES, not individual matches. Thus, the following caveat should always apply when viewing these standings.

Errata Issues

There remain some unresolved differences between my totals derived exclusively from the Résultats tables for each division and the PF/PA totals listed in the FLG TL Standings, but I believe these differences to be inconsequential unless there are unresolved tie situations not yet discovered. Thus, these numbers are much more reliable and understandable than those I posted earlier today in the post below.

My Proposal

I will not repeat it here (it remains in full in the post below), but it is, IMHO, still worthy of consideration, perhaps even more so, given our still uncertain resolution of how to handle points awarded for unfinished team matches and other issues.

New Order of Finish

The order of finish below is different from that proposed by Tomawaky and different from my earlier post because of changes and corrections made at the FLG website. It is in no way intended to replace his, just a different look at the whole problem of how to score and determine the winners in a team league of any sort.

In the Beaver Division, the tie in GB for first place is decided by the team with the most wins. In the Wild Card Race, the order of finish is strictly determined by GB even though DGteam had more wins, it also had more losses than TheGammonators causing it to fall one-half game behind in the standings.

I particularlly like the order of the Wild Card Race. Not only does it fairly compare teams that played different schedules (one division had 8 teams, while two othrs had 7), but our WonderJammers finished ahead of TheCubeSluts, RuthlessWarriors, and TheMisfits all excellent teams. Hell, all the teams in this list and most in the league are excellent ones. FLG TL was much more competitive than I expected it to be, not to mention more successful, particularly for a first effort, than many others expected it to be - congrats, again, Tomawaky for an excellent rebirthing of TL. The last I heard rumors were afoot that we may just double your salary next season. ;)

The Updated Unofficial Final Standings

[table=]
FullPrimeTime,
-
TheGammonators,
-
DGteam,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
WonderJammers,
RuthlessWarriors,
TeamTruffles,
TrailofPips,
NoName,
[/table]

[table=]
ShouldIStayShouldIGo,
-
TheCubeSluts,
DieDreiMusketiere,
SurpriseTeam,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
Libertad,
goooo,
TheCubes,
, hunter, paulc, _loak
[/table]

[table=]
ShakeRattle&Roll,
-
, dorbel, gumpi, mradica
TheMisfits,
OttomansEmpire,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
TheFrenchies,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
WhupAssWorldwide,
schigstogsedat,
, Schigolch, sedat, stog
Racing-Snails,
[/table]

WILD CARD RACE
[table=]
TheGammonators,Beaver,
-
DGteam, Beaver,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
WonderJammers, Beaver,
TheCubeSluts, Jacoby,
RuthlessWarriors, Beaver,
TheMisfits, Crawford,
SurpriseTeam, Jacoby,
, adrian, MarcoPolo, Tom
OttomansEmpire, Crawford,
, jimbok, otto, taylor
TheFrenchies, Crawford,
, mano, Peyo, Tomawaky
[/table]
e-mail me

Tomawaky

Quote from: sixty_something on March 04, 2009, 09:03:35 PM

Given the confusion historically caused at the end of each TL season due to unplayed matches and possible forfeits and the relatively meaningless day-to-day standings as we wait for a Team Match win to be awarded, also a historical problem, I seriously propose we consider simply using a system based on total Wins and Losses to determine the TL championship each season, perhaps even including this season.

Total Win or Losses is not in the spirit of a team contest in my mind

Quote from: sixty_something on March 04, 2009, 09:03:35 PM

Additionally, another issue we haven't yet addressed is resolved by this approach. With 8 teams in the Beaver Divisoin and only 7 in the Jacoby and Crawford, using Team Match points to determine the winner of the Wild Card race is just not fair to the teams in the smaller divisions as teams in the Beaver Division play 7 matches each, not 6.

Right

Then, The point I decided to complete all the matches is because of the inital rules where I said that all matches need to be completed. Doing this I though I was the closer of what have been said on the rules.

Now I wait other point of view to decide what is best (personnaly I really don't know). With the good job you did Sixty, I will create a poll to see which standing do you prefer between mine and yours.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tomawaky

Quote from: sixty_something on March 05, 2009, 02:40:02 AM

[table=]
FullPrimeTime,
-
TheGammonators,
-
DGteam,
, JLee, KDP, magic_one
WonderJammers,
RuthlessWarriors,
TeamTruffles,
TrailofPips,
NoName,
[/table]

The point where we are the most disagree is about beaver division.
With your system TheGammonators are in second place with only 2 win and 3 uncomplete matches :geige:
Here are the result (if not missing something)

DGteam_______    #    5 - 3   5 - 2   4 - 3   6 - 2   2 - 5   6 - 3   5 - 4  / 5 win 1 loss 1 uncomplete
FullPrimeTime___   3 - 5   #    6 - 3   4 - 5   8 - 1   6 - 3   5 - 4   5 - 4  / 5 win 2 loss
TheGammonators   5 - 2   3 - 6   3 - 1   4 - 3   4 - 3   #    9 - 0   4 - 5  / 2 win 2 loss 3 uncomplete

And as I can see DGteam and FullPrimeTime have 5 win each with DGteam who has won over FullPrimeTime
DGteam has only one loss, FullPrimeTime 2
DGteam is leading is final match but it is not completed and FullPrimeTime has played all of their matches (congrats to them  :applaus:)

And Finally TheGammonators would get the wildcard and DGteam even play the play-off  :cripple:
:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: Yes this is not so simple :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

dorbel

At the beginning of the season, Tomawaky thought that all of the teams would complete all of their matches and thus make the task of deciding the teams for the playoffs relatively simple. That turned out to be too optimistic, but let's face it, the reason that didn't happen lies with the players, not the TD!
How to sort it out now? I think that all the team captains should make it their business to say to Tomawaky, "This was the first attempt. Thanks for organising it. Choose four teams for the playoff by any means you consider fair and I will abide by your choice without complaint." That will make the whole business much easier.
In the individual league, it took many sessions before the rules to cover all the possible tie breaks were finally tightened up and now it runs well. The procedure for no shows is clearly laid down as well. TL rules need tightening and I am sure that that will happen. Let's finish up this season and get on with the next, to which I am sure we all look forward keenly. Thank you Franck!

sixty_something

Great suggestion dorbel. Tomawaky is doing a great job, but it is frustrating. Nonetheless, it has been great fun.

After messing around with these numbers and standings all afternoon yesterday, a brief chat with Tomawaky, and proposing the Total W-L based standings as an alternative, I realized I had not implemented a simple process whereby I can use varying rules for deciding team points. With those we can compare the results of the traditional TL soccer-like scoring (2 points for a win, 1 for a loss, 1 each in case of a tie), several variations on that theme, and other options, e.g. what if scenarios. I can't do this today, but I will look at it over the weekend.

Whether it will be helpful or useful for the decision Tomawaky needs to make for this season is doubtful, but it may be useful in defining our FLG TL rules for next season. In addition to varying sets of standings for each rule, I will also provide some interesting metrics on completed matches by team. With a little more work, I may be able to provide some interesting player metrics, but no promises and no simulations.

I think it will be interesting to see how different scenarios effect the order of finish. Further, it may reveal how such plans reflect the spirit of what Team League is all about. Here are a few of the alternative scenarios, called Plan A, B, etc. I intend to generate standings similar to those at the website for at least these alternatives:

• Plan A - the simple "rules" defined at the beginning of the season interpreted literally
  • Plan B - Tomawaky's most recent suggestion
  • Plan C - an idea I had awarding 2 points only to winners of at least 5 matches, 1 to the team in the lead or to both teams for ties
  • Plan D - a suggestion adrian made including bonus points in increments of 0.1 for each played match
  • Plan E to ? - whatever other reasonable ideas we can come up with

For team metrics, I will create a few lists including some or all of the following:

• Completion rate - ordered by number of matches finished
  • Matches played - ordered by total matches by team
  • Overall W-L records by team

Besides, it will give me something to do to keep out of trouble. ;)
e-mail me