News:

happy holidays! take your board to the beach!

Main Menu

Using 3g HSPDA enabled mobile phone as a modem

Started by Caliman, February 20, 2009, 02:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliman

Is it possible for me to use my mobile as a USB modem? Ive been told it may take a month to get my fibre optic connection linked so i can use my laptop online, very frustrating!
Im told it may be possible to use my phone as a modem to use javafibs?
Any advice from the many computer geniuses out there would be much appreciated!
I presume it would be much the same as a 3g usb dongle? USIM is used in both.
Rickochet on Fibs. Converted from mobile odesys to 3d fibs on pc.

dickbalaska

One time i walked into the Cingular store.  With me, i carried a Cingular advertisement with a picture of their latest phone connected to a laptop via some wire.  I said, "I want that".  Store weenie said, "That does not exist".
I said, "Curse you and your fake ads.  I hope some conglomerate buys your company".

These days, i have a Verizon PCMCIA card that works great.  That solution would be a separate account, of course.  Maybe you can do the $10/month 'add a line' plan.

My phone is a Cingular 8525, a Windows CE PDA.  It has IE built in; i can surf the web.  It has a USB cable; i can copy pictures and ringtones to and from my PC.  But i think it is corporate policy that this device not be allowed to be a bridge between my PC and the 'net; that would be far too useful, and is a simple software change.

I have heard that Sprint has such a device like you ask.

dik

Caliman

B) thanks dik, amusing story.
I am now told by my phone manufacturer that it IS possible to use my phone as a modem via usb cable. Much the same as a 3g usb dongle both use a USIM .
Strangely my network provider say its not possible, hmmm i will soon find out as a friend is going to set it up for me as im pretty useless with computers.
Its interesting that my network provider charge £30 per month for 7gb use on the net with their usb 3g dongle - while I get unlimited access to the net (3g HSPDA) on my phone for £10 per month !
They obviously wont advertise this but it IS true. Shhhh Lmao !
I can also drag and drop all media: photo's,music; mp3,mp4,aac,etc etc to and from my phone to laptop via usb cable. Just found the pc suite c.d for my phone in the box!
Still cant wait for my 50mb fibre optic connection though!     Found a connection data-speed app. so will see if it IS actually 50mb?
:ohmy:

dickbalaska

Quote from: Caliman on February 21, 2009, 02:57:02 PM
£10
Oh, you're one of those.  Well then forget everything i said.  Those three companies don't exist.

Caliman

Quote from: dickbalaska on February 22, 2009, 01:48:31 AM
Oh, you're one of those.  Well then forget everything i said.  Those three companies don't exist.
:ohmy: One of what may I ask Dik?
Sine ira et studio - Tacitus

dickbalaska

Quote from: Caliman on February 22, 2009, 04:31:54 PM
:ohmy: One of what may I ask Dik?
You drink tea instead of coffee, like A Real American.
You drive on the wrong side of the road.
You can't spell aluminum.
You mock Dick Van Dyke's Cockney accent.

Caliman

Quote from: dickbalaska on February 23, 2009, 01:19:35 AM
You drink tea instead of coffee, like A Real American.
You drive on the wrong side of the road.
You can't spell aluminum.
You mock Dick Van Dyke's ####ney accent.
oh I see said the blind man.
Btw I drink coffee not tea.
I dont drive on the wrong side of the road, I ride on it.
And as for mr van dyk , his accent deserves mockery in large amounts.
So your one of those eh. Ten gallon hat and 2 loaded 45's on your hip, drinking duff beer and relying on China to bail you out lol .
Sine ira et studio - Tacitus
Btw you started a war over tea! What a party ! all done in the best possible taste - Kenny Everrett 
Dont take offence pls, just a bit of fun i.e the Tacitus quote.