News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Latest TourneyBot Status

Started by Tom, February 21, 2009, 03:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Was copied from an OLD thread wondering about tourney schedules...

In short it may be time for another tourney to join the schedule...

It may need some additional work, but the bot is doing quite well.
(With the recent bg fix)

tom
----------------------
TourneyBot does have the ability to run any tourney on a exact schedule.

There were some issues that made Tbot unreliable, but it looks like I fixed them.
(and the bug I found explained the behavior completely)

It can handle player clocks and either notify TDs or advance players on timeout
it can also send a complete log of all it's tells and the final standings in an email to the TD.

It is not perfect yet, but it has come a long way.

I have been running the Tues/Wed/Thur 3/5's for I think about 6 months and they
run well.. I have been using them to find problems.

Am I suggesting switching all scheduled tourneys to TBot? Heck No!
But I would encourage TD's to consider it for some tourneys.

The Bloody Mary "Sunday Special" at 1600UTC is currently running automatically scheduled.
I am very grateful to Sixty_something and socksey for doing this and sticking through the pain
that some bugs have brought.

Tbot is also running the Bloody Mary "Sunday Special"  Season II Championship which is a Multi-day
with week long player clocks, if there is any interest in some long format tourneys we can handle it too.

Month long 9+ pt matches are very possible.

The bot also can support league play, Tomawalky and I did some preliminary testing of a fairly generic interface
that any website could implement for Tbot to talk to.

I also have implemented visual brackets (maintained by tbot) which mostly done to test the league interface too

There are a log of features that have been added and I think we are very close to ready to utilize them

Tom

socksey

Thanks for the update, Tom, and thanks again for all of your work!   :applaus:  TourneyBot is by far my first choice for the running of tournaments because of it's overall ease of operation.  Thank you!   :thumbsup2:

socksey

"If Bush were captain of the Titanic, he'd say things are going very well, and we were stopping for some ice." - Jay Leno

stog

yes i second that socksssssssess -- cheers Tom

can i ask though that if it is possible for announcements of the long term tourneys (sixty's bracket pairings for example) doesn't occur while a tourney is running, as happened the other week, as it led to confusion

Tom

Quote from: stog on February 21, 2009, 03:51:47 PM
can i ask though that if it is possible for announcements of the long term tourneys (sixty's bracket pairings for example) doesn't occur while a tourney is running, as happened the other week, as it led to confusion
That is not as easy as it sounds...

But it does raise a question: Should the Multi-Day tourneys spam updated Pairs at all?

Now, if you have two short tourneys running back to back they may overlap, maybe I need to identify which tourney in the spam more clearly.

Maybe we need a Nickname for a tourney, tourney 2780 is very exact, but not obvious, unless you know it is the BMSC

Like my Tues 3/5's it might be nice if they had they same Nickname each week and that nick was in the spam...

would that help?

tom
ps. Thank you !!!

stog

if it is not easy to code only to "shout about the tourney currently running" or variations on that theme, then a specific name would certainly help, as if a tourney is run, and the name not changed, only a number comes up as tbot updayes our info and that could be confused with one of another number , that is in fact a long term tourney pairing, that can be played anytime

gl and thx

socksey

Quotecan i ask though that if it is possible for announcements of the long term tourneys (sixty's bracket pairings for example) doesn't occur while a tourney is running, as happened the other week, as it led to confusion

Yes, that has always been an annoyance to me and it is confusing to newer tourney players especially.   :ohmy:  I've sort of learned to tune out the spam and the shouts for that matter during tourneys, so it doesn't bother me so much now.   :happy:  All you really have to do is pay attention, but that is difficult for some fibsters and some don't read English.  It would be rather nice tho, if that could somehow be programed not to happen at all.   ;)

Stick with it, Tom, we'll get TourneyBot perfect yet!   :laugh:

socksey

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society which honors the servant, and forgets about the gift." - Albert Einstein

sixty_something

Quote from: Tom on February 21, 2009, 04:19:32 PM
But it does raise a question: Should the Multi-Day tourneys spam updated Pairs at all?

that's a good point and good idea, Tom .. while it is nice to see who remains in the pairings of multi-day tourneys, IMO, i can also see how that can get both confusing and distracting, especially when broadcasting by FIBS Shouts such details during another tourney .. for me, i'd like to see the pairings and other ToruneyBot details for multi-day events narrowcast to participants only in Tells or Messages, not Shouts .. would that be possible without too many changes?

Quote from: Tom
Now, if you have two short tourneys running back to back they may overlap, maybe I need to identify which tourney in the spam more clearly.

Maybe we need a Nickname for a tourney, tourney 2780 is very exact, but not obvious, unless you know it is the BMSC

Like my Tues 3/5's it might be nice if they had they same Nickname each week and that nick was in the spam ... would that help?

i like that idea, too .. however, WTH is the BMSC?  :wacko: but then at least BMSC is a little more informative than #2780  :yes:

ditto to socksey's thanks, Tom .. TourneyBot has come a long way and the work you've put in is really beginning to show in many ways .. while the bug was annoying, to say the least, your prompt response and temporary workaround you provided socks and i was most appreciated .. your satisfaction it is now under control is also great news

outstanding work, amigo
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tom

Quote from: sixty_something on February 22, 2009, 02:55:31 AM
that's a good point and good idea, Tom .. while it is nice to see who remains in the pairings of multi-day tourneys, IMO, i can also see how that can get both confusing and distracting, especially when broadcasting by FIBS Shouts such details during another tourney .. for me, i'd like to see the pairings and other ToruneyBot details for multi-day events narrowcast to participants only in Tells or Messages, not Shouts .. would that be possible without too many changes?

I might be able to, since I am in there mucking around, maybe I could make the Standings SPAM a MESSAGE to each player...
Bad part... if you are offline for a few days you might get 3-4 messages with the current bracket...

i like that idea, too .. however, WTH is the BMSC?  :wacko: but then at least BMSC is a little more informative than #2780  :yes:
Isn't tourney one of the Bloody Mary Session Championships?

outstanding work, amigo

Thanks  :blush: