News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

Can't finish game. "** You must give 2 moves."

Started by dickbalaska, February 21, 2009, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickbalaska

I've had this happen to me twice in two days.  I've never seen anything like it before.
I had one checker left, on my 3 and greedy bearoffs on.  This is what FIBS said:
    You roll 2 and 4.
    Bearing off: 3 o
    ** You must give 2 moves.

Last night, i had also a lone checker on the 3 and couldn't finish with the same problem. It insists i give 2 moves.  (It was funny, he with his pig english and me with my schweine Deutsch.)   He gracefully resigned.
This time, the opponent dropped.  Is it possible to look at my saved game with Kojarsat and see what's going on?  The board state is as above; i rolled, i have 1 checker on the 3 (he has one each on his 3, 4, and 5).

Is there some fake move i can give it? "Move 3-off 3-off".  Hmm, i should have tried that.

playBunny

Quote from: dickbalaska on February 21, 2009, 04:57:17 PM
    You roll 2 and 4.
    Bearing off: 3 o
    ** You must give 2 moves.

3/1, 1/off suggests itself. I expect that the other situation also had a shift-down plus bearoff possibility. This additional-yet-pointless move requirement also exists at BrainKing and Vog.

diane

My suspicion is that you are using cocoafibs as your interface.  Is that the case ?  I have only seen this problem with that interface, and yes it is annoying - and mentioned in the cocoafibs forum.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

playBunny

I'm guessing that it's something that Dick has found his own client (BuckoFibs) needs to deal with.

http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/introducing-buckofibs-t2237.0.html

dickbalaska

Quote from: playBunny on February 22, 2009, 02:13:14 AM
I'm guessing that it's something that Dick has found his own client (BuckoFibs) needs to deal with.
Yup.  I read the CocoaFibs board, and this does seem oddly similar to that problem, except:
I touched nothing.  Greedy bearoffs were on.  FIBS played my last two moves itself.  Those 3 lines i quoted were FIBS rolls, bears off itself, and complains.  I'm disappointed in myself for not noticing the low die was first and trying 3/1 1/off. :(
I'm not sure what i would want my client to do in this case.  It is a user->FIBS issue afaict.
if (one_checker_left && greedy_bearoffs && FIBS_says_give_two_moves)
    force_move_low_die_then_bear_off();
I guess i could do that.  yuck.