News:

howdy HNY 2023
just sorting out Fibsboard a bit basically archiving it & updating the software to protect the database

let me know of any problems/ideas thx

should be easier to view on mobile devices now that's it's a more responsive design

Main Menu

what do you think about this idea ?

Started by Tomawaky, February 26, 2009, 11:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

One new tournament a year for the 8 best players at Fibs against the 8 best players at GammonZone.

I was thinking about some kind of World Online Backgammon Tour, but this first idea is certainly too much for the first time and We would start it with only 2 of the best free online backgammon sites in the world (more than 10 years running).

Here is what we thought about :

Each of us puts up 8 players (From Fibs and GammonZone)

First Part
We play a round robin type format where 1 FIBS player plays each GZ player for total of 8 matches, etc, all players will therefore play 8 matches.
The top 4 FIBS players and top 4 GammonZone players move on to next round

With the round of 8, each player plays the other 7 players with the top 2 FIBS and top 2 GZ players moving on

=> We switch sites for the first 2 rounds, alternating FIBS, GZ or GZ, FIBS, throwing dice to see who starts.

Second Part
We now have 4 players and each player plays a best of 3 series against the other 3 players with the top 2 players moving on to the finals, we would have to decide on how to determine the winner here as there would likely be a tie

Then perhaps a best of 5 series for the Championship of the FIBS/GammonZone Championship tournament

=> 1 match at fibs, 1 match at GZ in the third, the last would be played depending of the score and dice if equality / and the same in the final

Who will play ?

The 8 players would be the 7 best players (who want to take part in this event) of the past 2008 masters ranking and me.
dorbel, factotum, Schigolch, juggler, don, Pernot_Ricard, Backwoods, .......
Would you be interested in it ?

I must know before working on it depper.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

dorbel

Well this could be fun. Of course if asked to play it would be an honour, but some thoughts occur.
The format should be as simple as possible. This one looks to me like far too many matches and suffers from the drawback in all round robin formats, which is that players who lose in the early rounds have little incentive to win later, or even to play.
You might like to consider having the team (is 8 a good number?) elected by popular vote.
This team is not really a fibs team, but a fibsleague team, which is not quite the same thing.

KDP

i think if you do it, the rosters need to be an odd number of players so there isnt a tie. 

jdg

Quote from: dorbel on February 27, 2009, 07:37:37 AM
You might like to consider having the team (is 8 a good number?) elected by popular vote.
This team is not really a fibs team, but a fibsleague team, which is not quite the same thing.

My thoughts:
1)  Yes:  this would be fibsleague champions against GZ champions.  I was thinking the top 8 fibsleague tourney finishers over two cycles against the final 8 Zone Championship finishers (http://www.zcs-zcsq.com/).  Thus, we could do this twice a year to sync with the zone championships.  Or we could add the "top 8" as a second round qualification eligibility (http://www.zcs-zcsq.com/admin/Eligibility.shtml).  This would fit the ZCS format feeder from their point of view, but this would not be a selective? prestigious? as a straight "fibs vs. GZ" champions tourney.
2)  I'd think that finishing in the top ranks of the fibsleague tourney is a better selection criteria than rating rank or vote.  This way we have players who have shown the willingness to participate in and finish the matches for a free tourney.  Otherwise, I'd vote for Kit, for example.

jdg

Tomawaky

Quote from: dorbel on February 27, 2009, 07:37:37 AM
This one looks to me like far too many matches and suffers from the drawback in all round robin formats, which is that players who lose in the early rounds have little incentive to win later, or even to play.

This is not round robin !!! This is some kind of mini league each round where the better half goes on keep the parity from Fibs and GZ players

Sorry but I did not get the difference between Fibs Team and FibsLeague Team
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

dorbel

A round robin (all play all) is just another name for a mini league. IMO, the format suggested by Franck (a) involves far too many matches, (b) involves many dead matches and (c) is really an individual tournament rather than a team match. I think that there might be a lot of interest in a fibs (or fibsleague) team playing a regular challenge match against players from another server.
A Fibs League Team is one drawn exclusively from Fibs League players. A Fibs team might include some players who do not play in the league. I think that there might be a lot of interest in a fibs (or fibsleague) team playing a regular challenge match against players from another server. Another interesting event might be a regular Europe v. America match.

PersianLord

Quote from: dorbel on March 02, 2009, 08:27:56 AM

A Fibs team might include some players who do not play in the league. I think that there might be a lot of interest in a fibs (or fibsleague) team playing a regular challenge match against players from another server.

That's true.
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K