News:

most Recent Posts and Recent Topics now viewable on the front page!

Main Menu

Monthly Winners Tourney

Started by badspellr, March 24, 2004, 08:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badspellr

How about a monthly winners/championship tourney?  I don't know how difficult the programing would be, but it would be great if tourneybot could either invite poeple who had won tourneys in the past month or simply restict registration to tourney winners for a monthly tourney.  If this idea took off, it could also lead to an annual tourney of champions.  Not only would this make for a fun tourney, it would give something tangable to tourney winners, namely an invitation to join the monthly championship.  To make it work for people of all time zones and schedules, I would think that a long format tourney would be best, giving people a week or so to complete their matches.

diane

Sounds good to me - can we do it easily? I am not sure how to find out who all the winners were. I would like it to include as many Tourneys as possible - since many people in the UK time zone cant make fridays3.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

tryout

QuoteI am not sure how to find out who all the winners were.
Just "tell tourneybot tourneys completed" for getting tourney IDs and ""tell tourneybot current <TID>" for seeing the respective final.
GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

diane

Ok - yes - that works - but it is a bit of a long hand way to do it!! Hmm perhaps it does need some programming input!!  Obviously would require all those winners to be around etc etc - the usual headachy stuff.  But still sounds appealing to me.
The list of tourneys completed - is that for the last 20 days - or does it run from the start of the month of inquiry?  The first date i get on the list is 5th march - would that still be the case if i did the same thing on the 31st march - or would i lose some at the beginning of the month?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

tryout

QuoteThe list of tourneys completed - is that for the last 20 days - or does it run from the start of the month of inquiry?  The first date i get on the list is 5th march - would that still be the case if i did the same thing on the 31st march - or would i lose some at the beginning of the month?
As long as the tourney results aren't deleted from the TB database they should stay indefinitely available. And there shouldn't be much reason to do so, since I reckon that the results have a quite small footprint.
GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

badspellr

What if tourneybot were programed to congratulate with "Congratulations for winning the (fill in tourney here) Tourney.  You are invinted to join the April tournement of champions (tourney ###) tell tourneybot register ### to register.  For more info on the April tourney of champions, tell tourneybot tourney ###."  It would take some programing, but once done, it seems like it would be easy to administer.

adrian

:wub:  :yes: This would be a great thing to do!
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

MadMatt

QuoteThe list of tourneys completed - is that for the last 20 days - or does it run from the start of the month of inquiry?  The first date i get on the list is 5th march - would that still be the case if i did the same thing on the 31st march - or would i lose some at the beginning of the month?
As long as the tourney results aren't deleted from the TB database they should stay indefinitely available. And there shouldn't be much reason to do so, since I reckon that the results have a quite small footprint.
The tourney data stays in memory until I manually purge it, which I do once every few weeks. In the future, this will be done automatically. The footprint is small, but webrunner runs mgnu bots and other stuff on that server too, so TourneyBot tries to be a good process regarding memory and CPU time.

As far as monthly winners go, this will have to wait quite a bit for any programming support. Current plan is:

1. complete the new bracket building algorithm (almost done, the problem is converting the old ongoing tourneys, mainly #105 to the new binary tree based system - the old tourney objects and the new ones are incompatible on the binary level).

2. make a subscription system for notifications via tells.

3. implement some sort of double elimination bracket system

After that, it's probably going to be the new scheduler.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website