News:

enjoy the front page random images , random like dice on fibs! ethereal not material, and try and name them ..

Main Menu

Match 1, Game 2, Move 3, Forum

Started by blitzxz, April 25, 2009, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blitzxz

6-4?

Score:
Forum(black) 1, factotum 0, match to 5

Pips:
Black 153 White 155

GnuID
4HPiCSDQ58EBKA:cAm6AAAACAAA

stog

Spoiler
8/2,6/2 making a point, a deep buried point, but a point none the least.
[close]

diane

Spoiler
Well, all I can say is that this would be a lot easier to play if there were a blot slotted on the 7  :laugh: :laugh: Given the total lack of anything else, I would also make the two point.  I shall eagerly await better suggestions...
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Zorba

Spoiler
8/2 6/2 makes a homeboard point and still leaves builders on eight and six for other points, so that's pretty good. All the other plays try hard for something more but just leave a mess.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

Spoiler
Not much to choose from here.  I don't think we want to make any more blots, we don't want to abandon the slotted 5 pt in order to hit loose on the 1pt, running just leaves a double shot saying "hit me".

So, make the 2 point (aka the "beginner" point).  It's not a very good point to hold, but it is a point.  I don't see that anything else helps our position.
[close]
spoiler edit stog

playBunny

ah_clem: Please do use the spoilers buttons. The link from the Show unread posts page comes straight to the end of the thread and that meant I got to read your post before I realised that I didn't want to.

playBunny

Spoiler
Not that there was much of a choice for this move. The 2-point it is.
[close]

NIHILIST

I think you're all missing a couple critical things. White is slowly gaining control, he's escaped a back checker, and the position is a mess regardless of what our play is. In my opinion the one thing we DON'T want to do is give him a full roll. I play 24-18 and hit loose on the 1 point.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

diane

Quote from: playBunny on April 26, 2009, 12:36:43 AM
ah_clem: Please do use the spoilers buttons. The link from the Show unread posts page comes straight to the end of the thread and that meant I got to read your post before I realised that I didn't want to.

That is odd, if you use 'show unread posts since last visit', then click new, it should take you to the first post you haven't read - which shouldnt be the last post   :wacko: 
Anyhoo, if you click the subject, instead of the 'new' button, that will take you to the top of the thread.  The main reason I mention this is that, somehow, I don't think you will persuade NIHILIST to use spoilers  ;)
Course I could be wrong, and you may have more influencing skills  ;)

I did toy with hitting loose on that ace point too, based on giving him a bit of trouble, but I keep getting told off for doing that  :laugh: :laugh:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

NIHILIST

What's the purpose of the SPOILER and how do I create it ?

Bob

PS Why worry about what someone else tells you to play ? IMHO the idea here is to develop a thought process and strategy for each move and learn from each other.
Robert J Ebbeler

stog

if you select the area of text you want when u r in post window -- then choose the radiation like symbol above the smileys on the right ...........and bob's your uncle

Zorba

You can create a SPOILER button by clicking the "radioactivity" button (black and yellow triangles in circular shape). Click it, then type the text between the tags you get, or alternatively, type first, then select the text to go into the spoiler and click the button: the tags will be placed around it automagically. You can check with the preview button how it comes out.

More info on spoilers and discussion on when to use them is here: http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems/problem-spoilers-t1782.0.html

About the usage: the idea is that most players probably want to look at the position and make their own minds up first, and only after that want to read what others have decided (and why). So the spoiler button is especially useful when discussion is still fresh and alive, and more so when the reply will appear more at the top of the thread.

playBunny, I think you may be best off by not clicking on the new button, but on the name of the thread itself, so you can start reading at the top and scroll down at your own risk :laugh:
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

socksey

Spoiler
I considered hitting the 1 pt, but if I had chosen that, I would have played the other checker 13/7.  Then, I changed my mind and went as the crowd went.
[close]

socksey

"I've done benefits for ALL religions...I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality." – Bob Hope, on going to heaven

NIHILIST

Spoiler
Slotting our 7 point does nothing about our 2 back checkers plus it strips our midpoint.
[close]

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

NIHILIST

Robert J Ebbeler

Zorba

Luck is my main skill

playBunny

Quote from: Zorba on April 26, 2009, 01:10:47 PM
playBunny, I think you may be best off by not clicking on the new button, but on the name of the thread itself, so you can start reading at the top and scroll down at your own risk :laugh:

Yes, I'm aware of that option however, as I click the new link for all other threads because I don't want to have to start at the top and scroll down, and that includes forum match threads, which are being updated ad hoc and often daily, I would tend more often than not to click it for the latest move. In fact I may well not remember what the latest move number is. As you mentioned, adding a spoiler button is easy and can hardly do any harm.

ps. While we're on the topic of thread content, I don't know about anyone else but something in [tt] brackets is tiny and below readability for me. It doesn't matter with something minor like new, above, but it makes your rollouts too small to comprehend. I know that the text size can be changed in my browser but as that affects all text and all sites, it's not preferred.

ah_clem

Quote from: Zorba on April 26, 2009, 01:10:47 PM
More info on spoilers and discussion on when to use them is here: http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems/problem-spoilers-t1782.0.html

Might I suggest that we have the discussion about when to use the spoiler on that thread instead of here?

That way we can concentrate on the real task at hand: beating the pants off of factorum. (c:

playBunny

For me this is more like the Error Rate tournies at DailyGammon. Win or lose, it's playing your best that matters. ;-)

Zorba

GNUBG evaluations:
Spoiler

GnuBG strongly prefers the twopoint on all plies:

1. Cubeful 2-ply    8/2 6/2                      Eq.:  +0,0095
        48,28  16,66   0,42 -  51,72  12,89   0,48
        2-ply cubeful prune [world class]
    2. Cubeful 2-ply    24/18 5/1*                   Eq.:  -0,1433 ( -0,1528)
        45,64  12,52   0,35 -  54,36  14,27   0,42
    3. Cubeful 2-ply    13/7 5/1*                    Eq.:  -0,1483 ( -0,1578)
        44,82  13,82   0,29 -  55,18  13,77   0,53
    4. Cubeful 2-ply    24/14                        Eq.:  -0,1599 ( -0,1694)
        45,25  11,43   0,28 -  54,75  14,06   0,45

1. Cubeful 3-ply    8/2 6/2                      Eq.:  -0,0466
        46,70  16,21   0,43 -  53,30  13,42   0,65
        3-ply cubeful prune [grandmaster]
    2. Cubeful 3-ply    24/14                        Eq.:  -0,2014 ( -0,1548)
        44,04  11,32   0,30 -  55,96  14,38   0,54
    3. Cubeful 3-ply    24/18 5/1*                   Eq.:  -0,2103 ( -0,1637)
        43,86  12,19   0,37 -  56,14  14,79   0,60
    4. Cubeful 3-ply    13/7 5/1*                    Eq.:  -0,2253 ( -0,1787)
        42,92  13,53   0,31 -  57,08  14,57   0,75

1. Cubeful 4-ply    8/2 6/2                      Eq.:  +0,0183
        48,40  16,69   0,45 -  51,60  12,85   0,51
        4-ply cubeful prune
    2. Cubeful 4-ply    13/7 5/1*                    Eq.:  -0,1442 ( -0,1626)
        45,04  13,99   0,33 -  54,96  13,86   0,60
        4-ply cubeful prune
    3. Cubeful 4-ply    24/18 5/1*                   Eq.:  -0,1495 ( -0,1678)
        45,58  12,53   0,40 -  54,42  14,31   0,47
        4-ply cubeful prune
    4. Cubeful 4-ply    24/14                        Eq.:  -0,1652 ( -0,1835)
        45,16  11,37   0,32 -  54,84  14,02   0,48
        4-ply cubeful prune
[close]

Luck is my main skill