News:

most Recent Posts and Recent Topics now viewable on the front page!

Main Menu

I want my win!

Started by dickbalaska, May 05, 2009, 06:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickbalaska

It's too bad that after the 30 days expiration period, that fibs can't declare me the winner of this match.

diane

Yes, it is a shame, but after 6 years of being around this I have accepted that the only way to avoid being dropped is to use RepbotNG, savedcount, and avoid Odesys players...even then it isn't foolproof.

There are servers that will award you the win - even some of the other free ones like Yahoo.  Trouble is then you get players who will be excessively rude and abusive to force you into leaving a match - then they get the win.

I like playing on fibs - the question for you to ask yourself is how important not being dropped is to you - is it important enough to make you change servers?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

lewscannon

Looks like a close game to me. ;)

NIHILIST

I consider myself lucky to have never been dropped in a situation like that.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

ah_clem

Quote from: NIHILIST on May 05, 2009, 02:45:10 PM
I consider myself lucky to have never been dropped in a situation like that.

Me either.  The droppers usually drop three or four moves before that. (c;

I've had some discussions with Patti about the feasibility of implementing a "settlement" for obviously decided matches that remain unfinished after 30 days.  The upshot was that it's not feasible given the nature of the rather old source code that runs FIBS.

I'm sure it could be done, but wouldn't be easy and I don't know who'd do it.  I'm not volunteering...

If you follow diane's advice, droppers are not much of a problem. I'd add: avoid players with low experience points. Anyone who makes a habit of dropping will leave a trail of saved games and Repbot complaints. 

dropper

It's perhaps harsh but a simple approach is simply to award the win to the remaining opponent if either fails to complete their move within a set amount of time, say 3 mins. In the case of both players wanting to pause the match there could be an opt out if both players toggle a command.
The fibster formerly known as alef.

socksey

QuoteI consider myself lucky to have never been dropped in a situation like that.

:lol:  He's pulling your leg!   ;)

Follow diane's advice and you probably won't go too wrong.  The tools are there for you to use.   :)

socksey

"Courage is rarely reckless or foolish...courage usually involves a highly realistic estimate of the odds that must be faced." - Margaret Truman