News:

Check out the small but well formed 'Campaigns' board --we all feel strongly about something: alert us to a campaign, add a poll - be concise, and aware of strong editorial ;)

Main Menu

Topic ordering

Started by ah_clem, May 07, 2009, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

Is there a way to change the way the topics within a board are ordered?

By default, they're shown in order of the most recent post, which is fine most of the time for most people.  Being an old usenet guy I prefer to have the topics ordered by origination date - that way they remain in the same order regardless of whether new posts have been added or not.

In particular, I'm having trouble following the Fibsboard Forum Match board because all the topics have almost the same title - and since this is a backgammon game, it would really make sense to have the moves in order.  Maybe there's a way to change it for just that board?

Thanks.

stog

yes if you click the little arrow shown in the attached pic..

(also see http://www.fibsboard.com/help.html;page=index#board)
ps........general help is available from the top blue menu - 5 along

ah_clem

Quote from: stog on May 07, 2009, 04:57:55 PM
yes if you click the little arrow shown in the attached pic..

If you click that icon it just reverses the sort. It's still sorted by the date of the last post rather than being sorted by the date the topic was initiated.

socksey

I don't know if this is right or not, but I always use the "Show unread posts since last visit", click on that next to your icon at the top of the page, then start from the bottom up on the list that comes up, which should be the first date-wise.   :)

socksey

"Learning is experiencing. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

ah_clem

Again, that sorts by post date rather than by topic creation date.

This isn't a huge thing, but the Fibsmatch thread would be much easier to follow if the threads were arranged in order of the moves.  As it is, if somebody comments on yesterday's move (eg gives a rollout) the moves are out of order.  I find myself getting confused as to which move precedes which - is "Forum move 3" before or after  "Factorum move 3" ?  It seems to me that the current move should be at the top - but often it's the second or third down.

stog

im not sure if one of your other columns is clicked but this is my view here - which is pretty much in order...

ah_clem

Quote from: stog on May 08, 2009, 02:38:32 PM
im not sure if one of your other columns is clicked but this is my view here - which is pretty much in order...

Um... it goes

Game 3 move 2 factorum
Game 3 move 3 forum double
Game 3 move 3 factorum
Game 3 move 2 forum

That's not what I'd call "in order", unless you think move 2 happens after move 3.

And which move 3 came first?  You can't tell from the thread list, you have to remember who won the opening roll.  I just find this confusing, and sorting by thread creation date would fix it. (if I could only figure out how to do it...)

stog

ok i have applied a mod whereby forum match board sort defaults by first post --- is this better?

ah_clem

Quote from: stog on May 08, 2009, 05:55:14 PM
ok i have applied a mod whereby forum match board sort defaults by first post --- is this better?

That's perfect. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.  (c:

webrunner

Quote from: ah_clem on May 08, 2009, 02:26:43 PM
Again, that sorts by post date rather than by topic creation date.

This isn't a huge thing, but the Fibsmatch thread would be much easier to follow if the threads were arranged in order of the moves.  As it is, if somebody comments on yesterday's move (eg gives a rollout) the moves are out of order.  I find myself getting confused as to which move precedes which - is "Forum move 3" before or after  "Factorum move 3" ?  It seems to me that the current move should be at the top - but often it's the second or third down.

A forum is something else as usenet. Form topics live longer and can be "raised from the grave" if someone posts in a "dead" topic. You will miss those posts if you keep sorting on original topic creation date.
Just my two cents :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

diane

Quote from: webrunner on May 12, 2009, 03:18:15 PM
A forum is something else as usenet. Form topics live longer and can be "raised from the grave" if someone posts in a "dead" topic. You will miss those posts if you keep sorting on original topic creation date.
Just my two cents :)

Certainly that is a huge consideration in most forums, but I think ah_clems point here for this forum specifically is valid.  In some respects, once a move is played, it is less useful to resurrect it - and it is hard to follow if they aren't coming out in the order of play.  I frequently find myself struggling with which one is the one I should be looking at too.

Another approach might be to specifically number the moves - so you would be looking for the highest number for the most recent move...ie
Topic: 1 Match 1, Game 1, Move 1 Forum
Topic: 2 Match 1, Game 1, Move 1 Factotum
Topic: 3 Match 1, Game 1, Move 2 Forum
Topic: 4 Match 1, Game 1, Move 2 Factotum Double? etc

That way '4' or whatever number would be the most recent action, wherever it appeared in the list of posts waiting to be read....

Since stog has made the change, we could could try this for a while and see how it works.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

yes this modification is only for this board, for forum matches, the most recent move will invariably be at the top -- seems to work well - if you look at the match list from here http://www.fibsboard.com/fibsboard-forum-matches-b65.0/