News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2009 cheers! .....webrunner, stog, spielberg, dickbalaska, b8factor, jackdaddy, anonymouse, diane, dropper, zorba, papillon, fiftythree, ramses, adrian, FrankBerger, krakan and ah_clem

Main Menu

Search

Started by playBunny, June 04, 2009, 07:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playBunny

I've been trying to search for some old posts, in particular a few about ratings. I seem to get the same set of pages from the search no matter what I look for and they may or may not have the search text that I specified. Going to the Advanced Search page and looking for posts by me either brings back nothing (search for "rating" and "MonteCarlo", both of which I am sure I've posted about) or the same load of incorrect pages as before, eg. http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/moved-using-3g-hspda-enabled-mobile-phone-as-a-modem-t2275.0.html is apparently 63.5% relevant when I ask for posts of mine which include "GnuBg". :wacko:

socksey

Try clicking on your name which will take you to your own profile page.  Near the bottom somewhere there is an option "Show the last posts of this person".  Click on that and you will find all of your posts that you can go through.   ;)

socksey

"Ask her to wait a moment - I am almost done." - Carl Friedrich Gauss (1777-1855), while working, when informed that his wife is dying.

webrunner

I advise Stog to implement the Sphinx search and indexing deamon. Not only will it make the searches 10 times faster, it will give you much better results. (see also here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

stog

hi eric thx
yes i have been concerned about "search" for some time now, i have tried to implement some additional search functions, latterly with SMF Search Enhancement Mod but was getting install failures which scared me off but am now looking into using sphinx, will let you know.....

diane

Ooh, that is exciting, I was just revving up to whine about the non functioning search!!  ;)

I had a new player ask me if 2-pt matches were dumb the other day, and wished to direct him to the thread on here, so he could see how controversial a question that can be  ;)  It took me about half an hour, because the search couldn't find it at all.

I shall await the progress of this feature  :thumbsup:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

ok i have rebuilt the custom search index with a bigger index footprint and it does seem quicker - also i think it needed to be rebuilt, as i realise that i certainly haven't rebuilt it since migration.

let me know how your searches pan out.

the failed searches i got before, now yield correct results, so fingers crossed, as i would rather stay away from mysql root server installations as i guess would my host!

playBunny

Howdy stog, thanks for the update. Unfortunately I'm still not getting much joy. A search for rating formula yields:

QuoteMOVED: IPhone nightmares trying to use FIBS - HELP
in F.I.B.S. general support

Bulgarian backgammon film
in General Chit Chat

as the top two posts. :-/

stog

hi
yeah the iphone nightmare post seems to invade many searches - not sure why:)

anyhow if you choose advanced search (click the little searchlight icon) and then choose "match any words" to the right of the entry box for "rating formula" and choose "most recent topics" from search order you will get a list of results with the terms highlighted. Better still choose "Search in topic subjects only"

i agree all is not completely right as posts such as "iphone nightmares" still remain

socksey

I had that problem yesterday when I was trying to find sixty_something/Bloody Mary's posts and came up with nothing in search.  I did go to sixty_something's page and clicked on his posts and found what I wanted.  I tried it again today with 0 results.   :cry:

socksey

"Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy; sweat will get you change." - Jesse Jackson

stog

please try again using the criteria search options outlined above( as i have only just rebuilt the index)

you should now get results - remember to choose "Search in topic subjects only" and sort by relevance or most recent

socksey

Ok, it seems to be working for me now.  I did get a strange reply thrown in but what I was looking for was included in the pot.   ;)

socksey

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin