News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Match 1, Game 3, Move 18 Forum

Started by blitzxz, June 15, 2009, 01:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blitzxz

6-4?

Score
Green(forum) 2, White(factotum) 0, match to 5

Pips:
Green 71 White 123

GnuID
2bYEBgO3lwMYAA:UgmzAAAAEAAA

lewscannon

Spoiler
This is what happens when you let Diane roll the dice. Ugly decision here. My thinking is moving the 6-2 leaves 2 direct shots, while the 15-11 leaves 3, and I will be peeking (and perhaps puking) at the next roll from between my fingers.
[close]

ah_clem

Where are we going, and what are we doing in this handbasket?

Spoiler

By my count, moving both checkers leaves 29 hitting rolls.
15/9 6/2 leaves 23 hitting numbers, but will be harder to clean up if factorum misses. 

I'll go with the 36% chance we survive rather than the 19% chance. 15/9 6/2.

[close]

diane

I never touched the dice!!  :o :o

Spoiler
Well, this is about as bad as it gets - are you sure you shook the dice after factotum rolled!!  :laugh: :laugh:  Well - no idea, they both look horrid dont they! I think I am more tempted by the three shots, and less mess if we get away with it....but then I did the other one  ;)  Can I suggest we all spend some time visualising factotum rolling 66...... :laugh: :laugh:
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

blitzxz

Spoiler
"By my count, moving both checkers leaves 29 hitting rolls.
15/9 6/2 leaves 23 hitting numbers, but will be harder to clean up if factorum misses."

With "safer" move we leave almost certainly another shot, possibly even more. So both checkers closer and it's roll for game/match.
[close]

Zorba

Spoiler
15/9 15/11, a few more shots but leaves a MUCH better position when missed. 15/11 6/2 will actually leave ANOTHER double direct shot next turn quite often, and is almost guaranteed to leave a single direct shot. We're paying now, might as well try to get some value for our money.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

NIHILIST

The correct play here is to drop.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

socksey

Drat!  Couldn't get any icons to work or spoiler for me this morning, but I voted with Zorba on this one before any comments.  ;)

socksey

"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence." - Will Henry

stog

Spoiler
as zorba has noted - we get perhaps some value if......so i'm changing to 15/9 15/11 as one of the 2 hits -the six, is also the cover, but then again dubb6 is orrible!
[close]

roadkillbooks

Spoiler
I voted for moving both checkers up.  I like leaving the extra piece on the 6 point and not burying the checker.  We knew this was going to get messy.  We will need that extra time and option later... It should help us keep our board after we are hit.
[close]

diane

Ok, I went with the brainboxes, so to avoid a coin toss  ;) It was my first instinct after all, I just lost my bottle at the last minute  :laugh: :laugh:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

NIHILIST

This is the point in the chouette when you excuse yourself to go to the men's room.............and never return.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

ah_clem

Rollout

Spoiler

15/11 15/9  prevails, presumably because we're in much better shape  after he misses.  If I knew he was going to miss, I certainly would have voted for it.  (c:

1. Rollout          15/11 15/9                   MWC:  45.56%
       0.347 0.126 0.004 - 0.653 0.222 0.006 CL  45.56% CF  45.56%
      [0.001 0.001 0.000 - 0.001 0.001 0.000 CL   0.11% CF   0.11%]
        Truncated cubeful rollout (depth 11) with var.redn.
        1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 856939712 and quasi-random dice
        Play: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
        Cube: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
    2. Rollout          15/9 6/2                     MWC:  44.52% ( -1.04%)
       0.336 0.099 0.002 - 0.664 0.231 0.008 CL  44.52% CF  44.52%
      [0.001 0.001 0.000 - 0.001 0.001 0.000 CL   0.11% CF   0.11%]
        Truncated cubeful rollout (depth 11) with var.redn.
        1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 856939712 and quasi-random dice
        Play: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
        Cube: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]

[close]