News:

VIP Donor members get fewer ads;  Donate - don't be late
cheers

Main Menu

Let received complaints be relative to sender - SUGGESTION

Started by umbalata, June 21, 2009, 02:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umbalata

I have a shitty rep now. Even though I think I'm a nice enough guy. Thing is, all my complainers are players with even crappier reputation than me. Letting experience only be a factor in calculating complaints was fail. You're going to pay more attention to a dickhead 'cause he's got lots of experience at being one? I suggest a lower threshold for exp factor, ~2000 should be max value in stead of 10 000, and use reputation, complainer/voucher ratio or similar for calculation as well.

In preventive purposes; yes, cranky user/moderator, I'm sure it's been brought up many times before, so having it brought up one more time should mean it's worth implementing, no?

(Honestly, one complainer has 0+ rep. This guy apparently kept track of ingoing commands as pass-time, as he asked why I was refusing, and inviting to, games at the same time. I answered I don't play 1-point matches. Next thing, I have a complaint. That was weird as well.)

playBunny

Quote from: umbalata on June 21, 2009, 02:16:20 AM
(Honestly, one complainer has 0+ rep. This guy apparently kept track of ingoing commands as pass-time, as he asked why I was refusing, and inviting to, games at the same time. I answered I don't play 1-point matches. Next thing, I have a complaint. That was weird as well.)

It does sound strange because you can only vouch or complain when you've had a match with someone. Maybe I don't understand what happened?

playBunny

RepBotNG: umbalata's reputation is -14820 (BAD)

Quote from: RepBotNG: Complainers
DisraeliGears's reputation is 284373 (GOOD)
uzalla's reputation is -75077(BAD)

Quote from: RepBotNG: Vouchers
Blockadebrecher's reputation is 12197 (GOOD)
BobJustBob's reputation is 76971 (GOOD)
daddyschips's reputation is 94385 (GOOD)

diane

As playbunny shows, you have only two complainers - and only one of them has a bad rep.

From what you are saying, it seems you think the complaint from uzalla is the problem.  You must have started a game with this player, even if no one moved, for Repbot to allow the complaint.  As you have also complained about him, there is no doubt a game was started, even if it was unintentional.

The same is true with DisrealiGears [who has a deservedly good rep], you must have played him at some point.  Uzalla I dont know, with a rep that bad, I wouldn't play him/her.

But then, uzalla has Experience: 24934, so that isnt someone with 0 + experience [whatever you mean by that].  

Someone with little experience does make a smaller contribution to your rep - and even if their experience level changes, their original vote stays at what it was worth when they first made it.

My advice would be to sort out the problem with DisrealiGears, if he removes that complaint, you would have a positive rep again, as you have more vouchers than complainers - and it is that one that is hurting your rep overall. As I said, and his very positive rep shows, he is a nice player and a fair guy, you should be able to work that one out - unless you did something very bad  ;)

The other approach is to get more players to vouch, then your rep will become positive again.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

garp_02

As much as I respect your opinion, Diane, I have to disagree regarding DisraeliGears.

I'm sure he can be nice to some, but to me, he has been an ###hole and is, deservedly, on my villains list.

Garp

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on June 22, 2009, 02:26:47 PM
As much as I respect your opinion, Diane, I have to disagree regarding DisraeliGears.

I'm sure he can be nice to some, but to me, he has been an ###hole and is, deservedly, on my villains list.

Garp

Ah well, such is life  :)

I still think this member is referring to uzalla - as he makes reference to a bad rep.  But yes, it is very definitely the case that some players wont get along - and the rep system only really serves to help - not give a definitive answer.  After all, there are people who think I am an ###hole too - and have registered that opinion by complaining about me  ;)  :laugh: :laugh:

don

Obviously, RepBotNG has a flaw, and a known one.  You have 24 hours after a match to complain/vouch.  Much like the previous version, this glitch is used and advertised by abusers:  Just wait 23 hours, 59 minutes after a match, make a complaint for no reason other than harassment, and your rep is safe from reciprocation.

I suggest inim study the game theory concept of 'tit-for-tat' as he fixes this obvious problem.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

blitzxz

This has not much to do with the actual topic but I personally hate the repbot. It's better now because you can't complain if you have not played but it's still can be big problem for new player. When I first started in fibs I got bad rep because I didn't say "hi" or "hello" or anything to everybody. I just wanted to play. And because I had the bad rep and little experience nobody wanted to play with me except droppers or other bad rep players. I got a lot of angry comments when I was inviting somebody to play because my rep and possible too high rating for newbie. Eventually I stopped playing for many months and when I did come back I had to take another nick so I could play somebody. After this I have always thinked that the repbot is very bad thing. It's very easy for new player to get bad rep and it's very easy that it leads to quiting from fibs forever. The best thing would be change the fibs so that dropping is not possible and there would be timer if somebody drops or takes forever to move. Because it's not possible to change the code we have to have this horrible repbot to spot droppers but it will always be too harsh for new players...

diane

Quote from: don on June 23, 2009, 08:13:04 AMJust wait 23 hours, 59 minutes after a match, make a complaint for no reason other than harassment, and your rep is safe from reciprocation.

Fortunately this  is a small problem, as not many have the patience to sit for 23 hours and 59 minutes [often over different time zones] to carry out this sort of silly harassment.

diane

Quote from: blitzxz on June 23, 2009, 09:39:32 AM
This has not much to do with the actual topic but I personally hate the repbot.
After this I have always thinked that the repbot is very bad thing. It's very easy for new player to get bad rep and it's very easy that it leads to quiting from fibs forever. The best thing would be change the fibs so that dropping is not possible and there would be timer if somebody drops or takes forever to move. Because it's not possible to change the code we have to have this horrible repbot to spot droppers but it will always be too harsh for new players...

This has been discussed a lot.

Firstly - the majority of new players don't get chased away by repbot - but by crappy droppers and abusive players, both of which have only repbot to help moderate them.

Changing the code as you describe would NOT stop pesky players, I have seen this  - they simply abuse you until you leave or force you to drop in some other way.  The only sites to properly control dropping/abuse/ are pay for sites, where anyone paying for their membership has an obvious vested interest and an incentive to behave. The moderators of the site then have some means of influencing people to behave better, or removing them if they don't change.

Dont hate the repbot - hate the idiots that mean we are forced to use it - and who abuse it. 

The system of reputations is now in use by every web based organisation who need to gain the trust of their users.  EBay being the best example, amazon do it too - and plenty of others are joining in because it is the way to ensure you have a way of sorting the good from the bad.
On Ebay it is possible that someone will give you a bad rating for no particular reason, but we expect that the 5 good ratings next to it will establish the true picture. 

Burper was way ahead of his time with repbot - and yes, updating it to improve its functionality has been great - we all love our systems evolving and improving  :cool:

playBunny

Quote from: don on June 23, 2009, 08:13:04 AM
Obviously, RepBotNG has a flaw, and a known one.  You have 24 hours after a match to complain/vouch.  Much like the previous version, this glitch is used and advertised by abusers:  Just wait 23 hours, 59 minutes after a match, make a complaint for no reason other than harassment, and your rep is safe from reciprocation.

When the limit was proposed my suggestion was to extend the deadline by a further 24 hours. I had reciprocated vouches in mind but it would work for complaints too, especially if RepBot sent a message to the complainer informing them that the other player now has 24 hours in which to compain in retaliation, and remindning them of the option to remove the complaint. There's still the problem of an experience minnow complaining about a whale who can inflict a lot more damage.

I think the metric that RepBot reports should be the reputation value plus the number of vouchers and complainers. umbalata's reputation would then be: RepBotNG: umbalata's reputation is -14820 (BAD) from (+3/-2), which would allow someone to realise that it's not as bad as -14820 might suggest alone, whereas RepBotNG: newbie_predator's reputation is -820 (BAD) from (+0/-7) is clearly very negative despite the low value.

don

Quote from: diane on June 23, 2009, 06:48:00 PM
Fortunately this  is a small problem, as not many have the patience to sit for 23 hours and 59 minutes [often over different time zones] to carry out this sort of silly harassment.
Actually it works at lesser times than the 24 hour deadline, diane, but I wouldn't expect you to get anything about repbot abuse.
Quote from: playBunny on June 23, 2009, 07:20:51 PM
I think the metric that RepBot reports should be ...
Excellent point, PB.  The old (and current) repbot metric is just about as bad as it can be.  I fiddled with one when I wrote my repbot while the original was out of commission, involving log(exp).  Your suggestion about the reps of the voucher/complainers can be implemented with a bit of math.  The formula certainly needs changing.
--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...