News:

Become a VIP .....appreciate Fibsboard? don't like ads, Y not http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

FIBS/W -- Help Needed

Started by LML, June 27, 2009, 02:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LML

Hello to anyone reading this post, and thank you so much if you can lending a helping hand! 

I've used FIBS/W since it was released way back when.  Have just gotten a new computer which uses Vista as the operating system, and sadly find that FIBS/W is not compatible.

I realize that FIBS/W is not an officially supported platform, but hope that there are still users of this interface out there ... Especially someone who may have developed a "fix" to make FIBS/W work with Vista.  Help/Suggestions welcome!  (Am expecting to upgrade the operating system to Windows 7 ... Will FIBS/W work with that?)

If no "fix" is available, I'd appreciate a recommendation for another interface -- Looking for one that is user-friendly and as easy to use as FIBS/W. 

Thanks very much for the help!

jdg

What exactly is the problem? 

Although I now use JavaFIBS, I was able to start-up fibs/w and connect OK using Vista.  I did not try and start a game.  The one thing I needed to change was the server address (advanced option) to fibs.com.

jdg

LML

Thanks so much for your reply to my posting!  When I try to run the setup (fibsw135\fibsw.exe), I receive notification that the program is not compatible (at all) with Vista.  The specific language is:

The version of this file is not compatible iwth teh version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (65-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Thoughts?  Suggestions? 

jdg

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "run the setup." fibsw.exe is the executable and be directly started-up by double clicking on the program in the folder where you unzipped it.

You can do this after unzipping the fibsw135 package into a directory of your choice.

jdg

LML

Well, yes, that's what I've been doing ... and then the message box comes and won't allow the installation/running the program.  There might be more I could do if I wasn't operating with Vista (but then, I wouldn't have the problem in the first place).

I've just looked into alternate interface programs ... JavaFibs isn't for me, but DelFibs appears comparable to FIBS/W, sans some of the convenience buttons.

Want to thank you just the same for trying to help me out!   :thumbsup2:

I'd still rather run FIBS/W, and will hope someone else pops along with a fix for me! 

jdg

OK:  I Googled the error message, and there is a good explanation on this page for a workaround.

http://ask-leo.com/i_have_an_old_old_program_i_need_to_run_in_vista_but_it_wont_is_there_a_way.html

Good luck.

jdg

wordman

Quote from: LML on June 27, 2009, 05:26:13 PM
Thanks so much for your reply to my posting!  When I try to run the setup (fibsw135\fibsw.exe), I receive notification that the program is not compatible (at all) with Vista.  The specific language is:

The version of this file is not compatible iwth teh version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (65-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Thoughts?  Suggestions? 

I believe the issue is due to you running the 64bit version of vista. fibs/w works fine on the 32bit version. there is no known workaround to this, other than downgrading.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.