News:

welcome to Fibsboard! your global moderators are stog (and mrs stog) socksey sixty diane zorba and a wonderful group of individual board moderators ......thx to ALL

Main Menu

Windows Internet explorer (IE7) & IE8 not showing fibsboard NOW FIXED

Started by stog, July 24, 2009, 11:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

fri 10 pm
someone had each  member having issues (only 2 people so far), clear out there IE7 History, Temp Internet Files, remove our Forum "Cookie", and even had them make new Favorites and Bookmarks after they were logged in.  They still can only login 50% of the time (using IE7 first, then trying with Firefox).  We didn't have these issues prior to our update to 1.1.9, so we are searching for an answer to our problems."

i am presently seeing what answers i can come up with. the above is another smf webber who seems to have members with IE problems.

i must admit i hadnt tested the board for ages with IE on windows- all testing i do is with safari and firefox both fine.
tonite i tried it on IE7 and big problems, even after clicking the photo - no forum/log out/messages bar at al etc.

i have a copy somewhere of a previous incarnation of the board and i'll test it out

in the meantime can some one test it in IE8 for me thx?
sat 2am
hold on my windows box is updating to IE8 right now ................along with15 updates -- maybe it won;t install -- it being a mac really - will it know? will it like it? or is the registration number of my car that i probably used as a serial number now going to find me out--- what terrors are lurking down this road..............5 minutes later  it is still installing!  wga!

i have firefox ready to go (forum fine), but need to test explorer -- yuk - i hate to say this but i am so glad mrs stog bunged her windows out, as i have had far less computer maintenance/housekeeping to do since she did.

to be fair tho this windows installation is a virtual install on a mac which has run ok for the testing i did on our software in the spring

. this is its first time on and you expect updates but  Ie 8 is definitely in a loop of its own here........

looks like some one will have to test on IE8 for me - its bedtime and the forum is fine on firefox on windows so....................

reading this eve that many sites don't work and checking the smf site (the software this forum uses ) there is an interesting thread here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=321673.0 which has a lot about IE7 and 8 in it

ok just got word it's NOT ok in IE8 either
so please use firefox in windows sorry - but you will probably find other sites appearing better too!

( just wondering how long it hasn't been right in IE?.............)

will do some testing/adjusting this week and will keep you posted and will welcome comments/ideas thx

stog

latest (sat 11.12 am)
ive managed to get IE8 installed and fibsboard is not ok although other upgraded smf installations i manage do work - so i need to find what is giving problems - and to do that efficiently i need to know when fibsboard was last ok on IE7/8 roughly - 2 weeks ago, a month etc....

you may notice areas of the front page disappearing as i try to isolate the culprit code, although i suspect it could be a combination of issues.

this experience could be 'beneficial' as when we do start migrating to the new version of fibsboard, i will systematically test on IE8......

(grr the holiday let site (iweb created) we run, also has display problems in IE8, corrected by clicking their "compatibility mode" button to the right of the address ---- is it me? or IE? )

diane

Thanks for posting this - I was going to report it.

I cannot access the board from work [where I have no control over the browser available - it is IE and like it  ;)

I shall only log in from home until the culprit is tracked down  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

socksey

Quotelatest (sat 11.12 am)
ive managed to get IE8 installed and fibsboard is not ok although other upgraded smf installations i manage do work - so i need to find what is giving problems - and to do that efficiently i need to know when fibsboard was last ok on IE7/8 roughly - 2 weeks ago, a month etc....

If you check your personal messages from me, you will find within one day when the mess happened.  I reported the problem right away and I do log on every day 2 or more times every day.    :mellow:

I installed firefox today and all is well here.   :)

socksey

"I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding." - Jacques le Blanc, French ambassador, on nuclear weapons

diane

Quote from: stog on July 25, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
i need to know when did it last work in IE diane?

Hopefully socksey's answer helps you - I only ever use IE at work, and only then when I have a break time free to take 5 mins to look.  I am pretty sure I made a post from work last Monday, but didnt get a chance to log in on Tuesday - so the last time I am confident it worked was Monday, at about 9.30am ish [UK time  ;)]

diane

Quote from: socksey on July 25, 2009, 08:03:03 PM
If you check your personal messages from me, you will find within one day when the mess happened. 

Did you manage to use the board message feature? The way the board was for me yesterday and again today, there is no way I could use any features, including messages.

I just kept getting the message 'page loaded, but with errors on the page', the formatting was all over the place and nothing worked.

socksey

I got to stog, by clicking on his name from a home page post that I could see, then clicked on personal message, and that way.  I had no bar choices at all.   :unhappy:

My first post regarding this problem was sent:  «  Sent to: stog  on: Yesterday at 07:35:29 PM » 

I have no idea what the time represents in relation to you and I but this is what was at the top of my saved message sent.  ;)

socksey

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way" - unknown, contributed by dorbel

stog

thx ladies!

i have been on this all evening...............

to the point where i am setting up a new test site to try out some ideas,

although i haven't done much past week on the board apart from remove ads and uncheck blocks - if anything simplifying stuff; anyhow i'll do some more, and report back

stog

ok found the culprit!!!
some non-working trial java script was doing it and i had failed to remove it sry!

so while firefox and safari will continue loading the page, IE errors

(it would have been slowing safari and fox however so you are now experiencing the board at its fastest)

and yes it has only been there for a day or 2 -- so that's good

thx for alll your help and apologies as it was me!!

diane

socksey

All is well.  It's working now!   :veryhappy:

socksey

"What experience and history teach is this - that nations and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted upon any lessons they might have drawn from it." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1770 â€" 1831

diane

Ok here too  :cool:  'about' IE tells me this is version 6.0.2900, if that is any help at all.

Bones

I ditched Internet Explorer ten years ago.  It sucks. 

May I humbly suggest that you get Firefox, install the NoScript add-on, and take complete control over which javascripts run in your browser?  For those breathtakingly rare occasions when a page won't run in Firefox, there are IE emulator add-ons that work great. 

If you want your browser to look and work the way Microsoft wants it to look and work, stick with IE -- Bill appreciates your support.  If you want your browser to look and work the way you want it to, use Firefox. 

There is NO rule six!

diane

Quote from: Bones on July 28, 2009, 02:07:21 AM
I ditched Internet Explorer ten years ago.  It sucks. 

May I humbly suggest that you get Firefox, install the NoScript add-on, and take complete control over which javascripts run in your browser?  For those breathtakingly rare occasions when a page won't run in Firefox, there are IE emulator add-ons that work great. 

If you want your browser to look and work the way Microsoft wants it to look and work, stick with IE -- Bill appreciates your support.  If you want your browser to look and work the way you want it to, use Firefox. 

I think most of us do by now, except for my work machine, where I have no say over what software is used.

That being said, it is still to the advantage of any website to make their content viewable by all available browsers, thereby maximising their audience.

stog

Re: Windows Internet explorer (IE7) & IE8  not showing fibsboard NOW FIXED
herewith analytics ------browsers used by visitors to fibsboard past month
(operating systems used 60%windows, 30%mac)

Bones

Quote from: diane on July 28, 2009, 04:48:43 AM
I think most of us do by now, except for my work machine, where I have no say over what software is used.

A workaround, if your work machine allows it, is to install Firefox Portable edition on a USB flash drive:  http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Quote from: diane on July 28, 2009, 04:48:43 AM
That being said, it is still to the advantage of any website to make their content viewable by all available browsers, thereby maximising their audience.

I agree 100%.  Just yesterday I couldn't get Firefox to run a web-app to check my video driver.  However, I used the IE Tab add-on in Firefox, and it worked perfectly! 
There is NO rule six!

stog

IE Tab is not available for MacOSX.

diane

Quote from: Bones on July 29, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
A workaround, if your work machine allows it, is to install Firefox Portable edition on a USB flash drive: 
Sadly, no, it is a very secure machine on a very secure network, no software installation allowed and no use of portable software - previously discs, now USB sticks.