Jan "jant" Tempelman - RIP - Saying goodbye to a FIBS friend ...

Started by maria, July 25, 2009, 04:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maria

Jan Tempelman, who played on FIBS as jant and before that jtemp, passed away in February 2009.
He was a big fan of Bob Dylan and had a HUGE collection of Dylan CDs.
He was a very kind and generous man.
He was also a beekeeper and I believe he worked in the construction field.
Below is a link to his Panoramio page, where you can see the solar panels he installed for his home:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/739284/tags/

He owned a 1972 VW Bus, which can be seen here:

http://www.vwbusstop.demon.nl/buslinks/index.html 

Below are pages that give details on his passing:

http://www.allalongthewatchtower.dk/phorum/read.php?1,384391,384420

http://blog.wietekeopmeer.nl/2009/02/jan-tempelman.html

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family & friends, he will be missed.

Death is Not the End - Bob Dylan
When you're sad and when you're lonely
And you haven't got a friend
Just remember that death is not the end
And all that you held sacred
Falls down and dows not bend
Just remember that death is not the end.

Not the end, not the end

When you're standing on the cross-roads
That you cannot comprehend
And all your dreams have vanished
And you don't know what's up the bend

Not the end, not the end

When the storm clouds gather round you
And heavy rains descend
And there's nowhere there to comfort you
With helping hand to lend

Not the end, not the end

Oh the tree of life is growing
Where the spirit never dies
And the bright light of salvation
Shines in dark and empty skies
When the cities are on fire
When the burning flesh of men
And you search in vain to find
Just one law abiding citizen

Not the end, not the end

inim

We lost a very nice fibster, RIP Jan. I got to know him on the 2007 FIBS meeting in Utrecht, which Jan helped to organize and generously invited us to his futuristic home. I have to thank Noah who kept in contact with him since. Jan was both an artist and an engineer, a very inspiring person.

Jan logged into FIBS the last time on November 18th 2008 in what turned out to be his farewell. I recall our last chat then as uplifting, he never let himself down despite he knew about his condition.

You will be missed, Jan.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

diane

I am deeply saddened by this news, Jan had a spirit that seemed like it would go on forever, and I am sure it will in some form.

Having also visited his home, I was so inspired by what he had built to his own design, and how busy he kept himself with wonderful projects.

Talking to him also revealed a very full and well spent life, he had travelled and had many exciting adventures - I only hope I can say the same when my time comes.

Goodbye Jan, you were a very special person in a world which can be very mediocre, I am sure you will be missed by many.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

boomslang

Jan was a very colorful man. I visited him in Culemborg once and he kept surprising me with the things he designed and made, whether it was his house with virtually no doors, the jewelry, the 30 cubic meter barrel of water in the middle of his house, the home made honey or the backgammon board with only 20 points...

Martin Bril, a famous Dutch writer/columnist, dedicated an article to Jan: http://www.martinbril.nl/archief/2009/03/bij_de_dood_van_3.html
Two months later, Bril dies of cancer aswell...

RIP jant

Zorba

Very sad news indeed... I met Jan twice at FIBS parties and I remember eating shawarma at 4am in Utrecht and his great stories about bee-keeping and South-America. Great and kind of shocking to read Martin Bril's column about him, thanks for the link boomslang.

Farewell Jan.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

Hardy_whv

Very sad news indeed. I played quite some matches against him and we had many interesting discussions. He hated to roll anti-jokers, a sure sign that he was addicted to backgammon, but had many other passions besides backgammon.

I know for sure, that there is nothing to be feared after death, backgammon in heaven is fun for sure, but my thoughts are with his family and friends! Jan, we miss you!

Hardy    :(

Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

socksey

QuoteVery sad news indeed... I met Jan twice at FIBS parties and I remember eating shawarma at 4am in Utrecht and his great stories about bee-keeping and South-America. Great and kind of shocking to read Martin Bril's column about him, thanks for the link boomslang.

Could one of you bilinguists do a translation of the article for us language challenged ones?   :huh:

socksey

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say." - Will Durant, 1885 - 1981

diane

Inim suggested I put this through babelfish, which I will do as a last resort.  Please save me from the rubbish that tends to churn out - it could tell me anything  ;)   :laugh: :laugh:

coriend

A very special person died, I met Jan twice and he was a wise man with a great sense of humor, and full of stories. Iam realy shocked that he died. Thanx boom for sharing the column of Martin Bril. It was emotional to read this, in more than one way!
R.I.P Jan !!

Corien

socksey

OK, I put the article through this site: 

http://www.howtosayin.com/say/english/Geschreven+op+02+maart+2009.html

and came up with this translation that seems very bad, but we can get the gist of it at any rate:

"Back from vacation, I take the post and there is the message: John is dead That will continue Weini That will continue to say little.   There are lots of Janne.   There can be any day any one die.   But my Jan Jan was a special.   Every time I drove along Culemborg I had him thinking.  Since he lived.

But I dared not unexpected to him to arrive I knew Bill only from the Internet.  He was my guide in the wonderful world of Bob Dylan digatele.   There was no day pass if I had a question for John.  Not so impatient! he then mailed back the next day was a package on the mat.

Jans packets were legendary.   They consisted for the most part of the common wide brown tape.  I had a special knife Buying.  Also sometimes fun.  There was then a CD icon appears where Jan Sunday minimal text was put.  Sometimes there was artwork in but I had to then download and Jan but on my own principles.  I did good.

Jan in my closet are.   I sent him back way things mostly books.  In terms of music I wanted him not to insult
suit him bite The Rifles and he was unsurpassable in Dylan.  He even sent them a photo of Dylan Collection; 
more than 5000 CDs stöd so neatly arranged; any official release and release ononfficiele each and every action that Dylan has ever Data The collection was so great that he is not completely adapted in the picture.

That was Jan.

His collection was as it were too big for him.   He will have more friends if I had, he had second thoughts about someone in England, and every day he was busy with his passion, I got him a time to give something really rare, a bibliophile book about Bob that I Peter Pontiac together for the State Press in Leiden had AND THEN CAME THE POST AND TRANS resulting ER responded JAN

Jan had cancer.  Since he is not difficult.  Prostraatkanker (I think this is prostrate cancer) with metastases. 
Initially he was optimistic about the effects of the chemotherapy he received,  then one time he believed in (self-) treatment with chlorine and vinegar when it was still around zi (this word is not in the english dictionary).  He was uitbehandeld (another word not in English).  I had the feeling that he saw a great injustice in.  In November on the occasion of his 65th big party be given, As a brother in arms, I was asked by his friends there as a sort of surprise to Of course I would, but Jan ondekte (another non-English word) that a celebration was planned. and saw nothing in it will voorvoeld (this site leaves something to be desired) that he did not meet in November.

The last contact I had was no longer with him but his girlfriend: Jan weakened a little more each day they wrote on Feb 2 he says every morning that he will mail today read. Is there on the stairs (8 treetjes) but at the end of the day is not done.

Tsja eight steps.

You can cry to.

Bob Dylan himself up where Jan so much of his life was (how strange is that not eigenijk: "I gaze into the doorway of temptation' s angry flame / And every time I pass that way I always hear my name. Then onward in my journey I come to understand / That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand." The ultimate in someone else's life passing us sand.

Written on 02 March 2009"

socksey

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." - Will Rogers

diane

Yes, thanks socksey, it does help me to understand the main gist of the article. [at least I think so!]

Noah

I for sure will forget a lot of notes if i would summarise all the things Jan was interested in but i am sure Jan was loyal and appreciated in a lot of community's.

My sympathies go to his family and friends.

Jan loved the game of Backgammon. He spent a lot of funny hours on fibs to learn more about the game and to have nice chats with other users of the community. Jan's charm brought people from all over the world together to meet other fibsplayers at Dutch meetings.

In 2003 when i met Jan online at fibs he just created one of his dreams to come true.
He builded his own high tech living machine. A glass house powered at energy from mother earth.

As Jan was a man with questions and answers he shared his knowledge about Backgammon, Apple Macintosh and downloading Bootlegs with me.
Jan always knew someone that could help him and was faithful with answers if you wanted to know something from him.

Jan made a big contribution to the world of Bee's and Jan shared a great collection of Bootlegs. I have never met a man with such a great assortment of Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen songs.

September last year as Jan's health seems to get better Jan was back at fibs. He wanted to improve at the game of backgammon and i suggested him to buy the 501 essentials from Bill Robbertie. A few days later when i questioned him if the Book was arrived he told me he cancelled the order cause he has had very bad news about his disease.
In November Jan invited me to come to his house and while we listened to his latest Bob Dylan catch, we chatted a bit about the old days on fibs and at the end of the meeting Jan gave me 5 boards from his Backgammon collection.

Jan mate, thanks for knowing you and Rest in Peace
" If you're not living on the edge, you take too much space"

Deurdonderen

webrunner

This messages shocked me! :cry:

Jan, we had a few laughs and fights but it was always fun!
I'll miss you!

He tried to help me with my wife's illness and was always ready to help out other people. Building his own house and having an extensive knowledge of strange stuff like beehives etc. he was a colorfull person, always in for a laugh.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |