What about a new Team League for september

Started by Tomawaky, August 04, 2009, 09:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tomawaky

Ok, I received today the first subscription : Ottoman's Empire  :thumbsup:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

dorbel

Thanks Franck, I am sure we all look forward to another good session. Can I suggest though that two rules are tidied up before the season starts? The way in which decisions are made if a player does not make a good effort to complete their matches needs to be clarified, as it was a source of a lot of argument last time. We also need a very clear rule to break ties between teams who have the same number of points at season end.

For what it is worth, I suggest that we use the rules  for forfeit and tie-break from fibsleague. They are clear and unambiguous. I also think that individual wins should not count for anything in tie breaks. This would mean that once a team had won 5 of the 9 matches, the rest of the fixtures would be dead and need not be played.

Whatever decisions are made to regulate the league, let's not forget that its success depends on all the players to compete in the proper spirit. It's no use blaming the TD if things break down! Have a good season everybody.

Tomawaky

I have change the Rules. Can you check if you think I need to correct or clarify something ?

dorbel

The bit that needs clarifying for me is "- In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker is based on the difference between the won and lost totals in matches with all other teams, then, if necessary, the result of the meeting between the teams involved."
Does "won and lost totals" mean individual won and lost?

Tomawaky

What has been implemented for the moment is as follow :

Order will be
First : The total Team points (2 for a win + 1 for a loss).
Second : The difference between total individual win and loss.
Third : The total individual win.

For exemple
TEAMA 5 - 2 TEAMB
TEAMB 5 - 4 TEAMC
TEAMC 5 - 3 TEAMA

1°/ TEAMC 3Pts Diff +1 TotalWin 9
2°/ TEAMA 3Pts Diff +1 TotalWin 8
3°/ TEAMB 3Pts Diff -2 TotalWin 7

dorbel

Using individual wins to decide tie breaks leads to problems as we know from experience. Teams that are not in contention have no incentive to complete all their individual matches. This can be very frustrating for the leading teams who need to add to their individual wins in case they are involved in a tie break. Using the difference between individual wins and losses also means that it may be tactically correct for a team to leave some matches unplayed. Consider team A and team B tied on points and team A has an individual win/loss difference of +3 to team B's record of +2. If the match score between A and B stands at 5-0 to team A they are certainly not going to risk team B catching up by completing all the dead matches are they?
One can easily imagine other scenarios that will lead to arguments and in fact we don't need to imagine them, merely recall the first season or the last season of souptree's league.
Using individual wins to tie-break is wrong IMO, as is playing dead matches. A best-of-five sets tennis match ends when one player wins three sets. A team match should end when one team reaches five wins.
Imagine this. it is the last day of the season. Team Nasty Fascist Thugs and team Jolly Nice Girls are exactly tied in every way, except that Jolly Nice Girls have one match left to play, which is, as it happens, against me. Do I try my best to win, thus handing the title to Nasty Fascist Thugs who will gloat for ever, or do I quietly lose the match. giving the title to the Jolly Nice Girls, all of whom are my friends?

Tomawaky

I think you miss the chage from the last one

Match will be complete with the first team who reach the 5 points
And no others match will be validate

dorbel

Tomawaky

Actually there is only 5 Team ! I think about starting the league in beginning of october.
Ottoman's Empire : taylor, otto, jimbok
Trail of Pips : jackdaddy, fortuna, vonnes
Shake Rattle and Roll : dorbel, gumpi, elmicho
schigstogsedat : stog, Schigolch, sedat
team goooo will be: Im_not_gimmeluck, spielberg, stiefnu

No more team to enter ?

roadkillbooks

Hey Franck,

We will be back in as well.

I know butterfly and I will play.  I have to confirm with GnomysTwo but if he cant we will find someone else.  thanks.

ShouldIStayShouldIGo

Tomawaky

Here is the 6 Team who have subscribed :

Ottoman's Empire : taylor, otto, jimbok
Trail of Pips : jackdaddy, fortuna, vonnes
Shake Rattle and Roll : dorbel, gumpi, elmicho
schigstogsedat : stog, Schigolch, sedat
team goooo will be: Im_not_gimmeluck, spielberg, stiefnu
ShouldIStayShouldIGo : roadkillbooks, butterfly, GnomysTwo

If others team want to join they still can do until the end of the week.

capablanca is looking for a team....