News:

happy holidays! take your board to the beach!

Main Menu

different match lengths for fibsboard forum OLM matches?

Started by stog, August 09, 2009, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

although the 5 point length seems well suited for the  fibsboard forum OLM - online matches, what do you think  to having occasional 7 and 9 pointers where it is convenient for the guest top player (the forum can always share out officiating if necessary)

what does everyone think?

thx to all for contributions, comments and polls -- the matches have been very interesting.

diane

I would certainly be in favour of varying the matchlength.  :thumbsup:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

My  $.02

It took two months to play the first 5 point match.  The second has been going on for as long and it's less than half over (dependent on whether there's a gammon or recube in the current game).  I'd say that if we're going to increase the match length we should think about reducing the voting period, say, from 48 hours to 24 hours.

Other than that, I'm cool with longer matches.

diane

Quote from: ah_clem on August 20, 2009, 04:06:48 PM
My  $.02

It took two months to play the first 5 point match.  The second has been going on for as long and it's less than half over (dependent on whether there's a gammon or recube in the current game).  I'd say that if we're going to increase the match length we should think about reducing the voting period, say, from 48 hours to 24 hours.

You in hurry to get somewhere, Mr Clem?   ;)

roadkillbooks

I would suggest to end the vote at the same time every day. This could even start now.  Times between moves do seem to be taking to long. Most of the comments seem to be made during the first day anyway.  I get so anxious I check back constantly.  This is fun though.

roadkillbooks

diane

Some of it will be dependant on moderator availability though.  I do try to move it along the instant I see your move made, but sometimes I cant - if I am at work for example.  But for the Forum side of it - I am not so confident as Zorba about nexting everything, so am letting the vote run.

We also agreed to give more time if the move is tough, and where the vote is visibly clear cut, \I am moving it along sooner than 2 days.

There are two times now though, including our most recent move, where we have not made the best move - and as there was little discussion, the right one didn't have chance to come up.  I am a little reluctant to move it along when we have missed something like that, too.

ah_clem

Quote from: diane on August 20, 2009, 07:29:17 PM
You in hurry to get somewhere, Mr Clem?   ;)

Not particularly.  If I was, I wouldn't have taken a week to respond, would I now?

But, I'd echo rkb and observe that most of the votes and comments come in the first 24 hours, with little discussion or change in results after that.  It seems like 24 hours per vote is enough given the current usage.

As for having the voting end the same time each day, it doesn't matter too much to me as a lowly participant.  The moderator and forum opponent might find it more convenient to have a set time to check in each day.  Or less convenient, depending on how structured the rest of their life is.

lewscannon

The only request I have is for extended time on weekends. I don't check out the matches during weekends, whereas this is a wonderful time waster and break from the usual grueling crap during the work day.