News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2009 cheers! .....webrunner, stog, spielberg, dickbalaska, b8factor, jackdaddy, anonymouse, diane, dropper, zorba, papillon, fiftythree, ramses, adrian, FrankBerger, krakan and ah_clem

Main Menu

Dear Patti

Started by don, September 21, 2009, 07:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny_Boy

boog might want to fit in there too

PersianLord

I was among the proponents of the idea of organizing a "Law enforcement force" for FIBS to prevent these kinds of debates. But we can ask for such a feature only when we have joined a server with a paid membership system. FIBS is free for all of people all over the world to join and enjoy. Nobody has pleaded you to join FIBS and it is run by Patti's money & devotion. So we have two solutions: i) adapting ourselves to the environment ii) leaving FIBS. I have chosen the 1st choice and now have 8 fibsters gagged. I also ignore inim's inimical behavior most of the times, for I am a peaceful gentleman =)

About Bob, I really don't think he is racist. If he was racist, I should have been his constant target, considering the fact that I'm among the few none European-descended fibsroids. I'm not a veteran and don't know what's really behind the ancient enmity between NIHI and don. But I think that it's a personal issue and should be solved on a personal basis, i.e. not engaging the rest of FIBS nation.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

Bones

I repeat:

Log the Shouts.  Keep a record, make it public.  Doing so will NOT stop a**holes from being a**holes -- this thread is proof enough of that.  However, it might change the tone somewhat, and it sure won't hurt anything.  

Oh, and I vote for letting a**holes be a**holes.  All options to censor/ban/whatever suck.  Gag works fine, that's why I use it.  Shouts will no doubt remain a cesspool.  

Peace out, dawgz.  Yeah, right.  

p.s.  How did this thread get so many posts, without anyone being called a Nazi?  All internet arguments wind up with someone being called a Nazi.  Get with the program, people!  
There is NO rule six!

stog

anyone got anything to add before i lock this topic? .............

webrunner

Yes.....

Why in earth lock this topic?
Finally we got this discussion going and more important... Niho is actually participating without any foul words ......
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

stog

please see new thread at http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/should-there-be-a-log-of-shouts-t2664.0.html;msg19906;topicseen#new

ps - have unlocked this topic for further constructive comment but i remind all

"We trust all will appreciate the opportunity to post their views in a considered and polite format"

below is a warning taken from the actual FIBS FAQ

"One word of warning, though: at times some of the discussions carried on FIBS via shouts (i.e. readable by everyone) is, well, kind of "low level" and not for the faint hearted. If this disturbs you, you can use commands to gag and/or blind the offending people. "

Fibsboard however is different, apart from the option of not viewing, it is open to the public, with no option to blind/gag -- except by the admin..

we repeat

"this is a reminder for all of us to keep to topic and put across our views without getting petty and personal. we will not, and cannot allow tirades of abuse, as may sometimes occur in FIBs shouts here on Fibsboard - this being an open public forum albeit membered by adults. (we have introduced a yellow and red card system here - as is used in football, where a yellow card is a booking - a warning -the post removed, if you get another, you get a red and you are sent off - which in a 'boarders case would mean their ability to post would be withdrawn for a period of time.

obviously we reserve the right to totally ban too."

..................................................................................................otherwise enjoy yourselves :)

i believe Don wanted to say something..............

webrunner

So happy i can keep responding here.  ;)

This, i think, is in contradiction with the agreement we made when you took over Fibsboard.
We agreed that the rules would not be changed dramatically because it would mean that Fibsboard would change too much and in my opinion this is a big change.

In my opiniopn a discussion can become fearce and sometimes even personal as long as we keep communicating as adults, don't use any faul words and pay eachother respect. That was the rule i moderated by, or at least i tried. (and still do on other forums).
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

diane

Quote from: webrunner on October 16, 2009, 01:53:55 PM
This, i think, is in contradiction with the agreement we made when you took over Fibsboard.
We agreed that the rules would not be changed dramatically because it would mean that Fibsboard would change too much and in my opinion this is a big change.

In my opiniopn a discussion can become fearce and sometimes even personal as long as we keep communicating as adults, don't use any faul words and pay eachother respect. That was the rule i moderated by, or at least i tried. (and still do on other forums).

It is confusing that you think this so strongly...and yet your most active moderator thinks entirely the opposite.

http://www.fibsboard.com/fibs-general-support/dear-patti-t2649.0.html;msg19784#msg19784

Am I misunderstanding something? Or were the topics closed down faster than you could spot they were being opened  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

webrunner
i am very keen for discussions to take place  -- i only locked the topic as it had already split off topic, and i feared it might get  too personal, especially as it had mostly run its course - i did leave it open for folks to contact me if they wished to comment further. i spoke to don and he said he wanted to say something more, so was about to unlock it anyway.

Now have you anything pertinent  to add to this particular thread?

if you wish a stick to beat me with - which is it to be? -- too liberal or too censorious? (last time it was the former if i remember)
no rules have been changed, but we established a football card system some months ago which we have not had to use.

the moderators and myself have always had the capability to lock a topic if it was becoming too personal; although i have before now asked that they "allow" rather than censor where possible, but keep an eye on things....lest they got too personal and vindictive.

now the only continuation to this thread, is this 'public chat' you seem to want......

socksey

QuoteI knew with don's first post here that this would become a flame throwing contest, and under the past fibsboard server "king", I would have closed it immediately.    socksey

Leave it to diane to make me eat my words!  Perhaps I did speak too quickly there.   :ohmy:  Or not.   :happy:  In reality, I would have conferred with webrunner unless I had been given a direct complaint by the offended fibster, which happened to me quite a lot previously, btw.  Even then, I saved the deleted offence, so that if webbie disagreed with me when I did message him, I could replace the post.   :yes:

Since stog has been administrator here, there has not been so much flagrant ranting with personal attack.  The moderating has been very easy.......almost non-existent.  Maybe that means our previous moderating was successful, or maybe it just means we are in a lull.  Whatever.   :mellow:

Maybe webrunner has mellowed.  Maybe webrunner has the right to change his mind like others of us do.  Maybe I had the wrong idea.  Does anyone care?   :laugh:

I've always done the best I can with what I have available to me.  I can do no more than that. 

socksey

Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important. - Lithograph from Despair.com

diane

Quote from: socksey on October 16, 2009, 09:10:53 PM
Leave it to diane to make me eat my words! 

I would hope no one has to, all it seems is that maybe there are misunderstandings, rather than the somewhat more serious suggestions that stog was
Quotein contradiction with the agreement we made when you took over Fibsboard.

If you and webrunner hadn't fully understood each other and still checked in, after a lengthy time together on the board, it seems understandable that stog might have misunderstood something too...

Although maybe he didn't, as he didn't shut down the thread when it started, only when it digressed...

Thing is, it seems petty to be accusational here, better to seek and obtain clarity, then move forward...it looks like webrunner and stog are pretty much in the same place to me...
Never give up on the things that make you smile

webrunner

I agree Diane, we are in the same place.
It was in no way my intention to beat Stog with a stick (or anyone for that matter). :unsure:

In the past certain members didn't post on FB and if they did, the words where often to faul so we (socksey and me) decided to remove them (as she stated also). I know for a fact that a few of these members behaved like this because of personal differences with me.
Since i left, the members are now suddenly posting, and keeping it relitavely clean.

The only thing i wanted to point out is that an opportunity like that should be taken and a closing of a topic or removing of posts could damage this fragile loot of contribution of these members, which in their turn are important members for the FIBS community.
I have always tried to get a normal and adult discussion going with in particular these members, just look at the topics. Even though i do not personally like these persons or argree with their "way of communicating". (am i making any sense?)

And yes: my moderation skills have evolved/changed in the last couple of years, mainly because of another big community i manage.
I now find it especially impoirtant that moderators and admins are open about their actions and show why they did what they did (i edited this post because..., i deleted this topic because... , i closed this topic because...)
This will prevent a lot of frustration and discussion and provides clarity.

Sorry for going off-topic here.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |