News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2011 cheers! ..thx godwinson, webrunner, stog, spielberg*, hartkegirl, KissMyAss*, ettu*,  jackdaddy*, diane, caleb, sixty_something*, Zorba*, aviator, Tom*, anonymous*, roygbiv*, r_monk *

Main Menu

Monday night scheduled tourneys are back with.....

Started by spielberg, September 21, 2009, 06:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spielberg

"Work Can Wait Forever"

Standard 3/5 match lengths, usual rules/parameters, me as TD. EVERY Monday with registration from 18:00 UTC and play starting at half past.

The only changes I've made are to the name, the seeding which is now by ranking, not random and the match length in the final now being back at 5.

dorbel

At the risk of boring everybody to death. seeding by rating isn't fair. If there is a full bracket (8, 16), then the strongest player will play the weakest in the first round. There are arguments for and against this, but it doesnt matter a great deal I agree. However, when there are, for example 15 players, the bot assumes that the weakest player is the bye and the strongest player gets it. This means that in a 15 payer field his chances are 1 in 8, whereas everybody else starts at 1 in 15.
I am at a loss to understand the purpose of this. If the point is to encourage higher rated players to enter I must say it won't get me signing up on Monday nights. No great loss you may say, but I wonder what effect this rule has on entries from everybody else?
What is the point  of this rule spielberg?

spielberg

I'd forgotten about the assignment of the byes. I'll amend it back to an unseeded tourney. (Ideally I'd like to run them as seeded when they're full brackets but know we can't yet have a contingent seeding)

spielberg

Thanks Tom for all your help with TourneyBot.

(I needed to get a few changes to approved TDs for this tourney and, crucially, take it back to an unseeded one. When I logged in on FIBS and checked the parameters for the tourney which is copied to create the "Work Can Wait Forever" (Monday Madness) lo' and behold Tom had already made them without me even having to ask!)