News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Game 5, move 3 : Forum cube?

Started by diane, September 29, 2009, 09:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Forum, blue - do you want to cube?

sNfBASTgc/AxAA:cAmgACAAGAAA
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

Spoiler

Would I like a trepanation?

Would I care for an eel pie topped with Vegamite with haggis on the side?

Would I care to play 17 matches in a row against odesys players?

Would I care to listen to the complete works of Andrew Lloyd Weber?

Would I like to have a cold sore surgically implanted in my cheek including a daily regimen of abrading it with emory paper followed by application of Italian dressing followed by lime juice?

Would I care to have my scrotum devoured by an iguana while videotapes of Carrot Top's greatest hits are played on an 18 meter video screen?

Would I care to partake of a restaging of the "Three Tenors" concert, with Phil Collins, Billy Joel and Barry Manilow singing the principle parts, only instead of singing Verdi, they sing "It's a Small World After All" and "The Candy Man Can"?

No, I think I'll decline all of these wonderful possibilities, but thank you so very, very much for asking.

[close]

[/spoiler]

roadkillbooks

We all thought a long time ago that the match was taking a long time.  We tried thinking of ways to make it go faster.  Waiting for votes on very clear non doubles is a waste of time.  At least one person approached me on fibs to say that they were no longer going to vote because it took to long.  Im trying to respond as fast as possible.  Again I think the person doing the rolling should abstain from voting and look at certain results and next them.  We are doing this for interesting situations and analyses.  Forum is ahead 3-2 in a match to 5.  The only possible reason forum would double now would be to just end the match.  I think we can all do better than that.  I propose a 24-36 hour voting cycle (depending on time zones and my response time).  I love this..its just a drag to come back after a day or two and see that it will be a couple more days because we are deciding on an ultra trivial non double.  While I cant see the votes.. im guessing will be 8 or 9 to 0 for no double.  Unless you think I may drop this...

and it is tempting to drop so go ahead and double.

diane

Quote from: roadkillbooks on September 30, 2009, 07:22:56 AM
Again I think the person doing the rolling should abstain from voting and look at certain results and next them.  We are doing this for interesting situations and analyses. 

It was in doing exactly that with your hit a couple of games ago that I got into that awkward position - I dont know how to go about making sure I dont miss offering you or us a choice of cubing and making moves, whilst keeping the pace up.

We are still honing this process, and I am disappointed to hear that being given the chance to take part is pushing some away...

I will happily move  the game along faster - less boards to put up etc is better for me too...and since this one is pretty clear, and no discussion is taking place - I can move it along right now.

I would say though, this isn't meant to be a fast game as such - fibs is the place for quick gratification  ;)

socksey

Hey!  This is not an easy task.   :wacko:  Let's not kill the messenger!   :ohmy:

socksey

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles. - Lithograph from Despair.com

roadkillbooks

Hey in no way at all did I mean to come out that harsh. I love doing this.. I just wanted to be able to do more of it.  I know there are hard decisions to make.  I think I just wanted action, was upset by the down news and the forum's cube was probably just as week as doubling on the opening roll.  I know individuals make bad doubles all the time (me included..especially bad takes).  I just dont think anyone would double there. The other person's comments just sort exasperated the feeling the a double wasnt there.  I m sorry if I irritated you as I truly appreciate everything you and everyone on the forum does.  thanks

roadkillbooks

dorbel

I suggest that the moderator runs the position through a bot if in any doubt about whether to ask for cube action. If the bot thinks that a double would be a double whopper blunder with fries, just roll. Another solution would be for alert cube hounds to post "Don't Roll" after they have seen the boxes roll if they think that a cube would be close after the best play.
This is a good feature for fibsboard. I realise that it takes daily attention, but it is worth it. It will be even better if rattles along a bit faster. Is one move a day achievable?

diane

Quote from: dorbel on October 01, 2009, 06:43:37 AM
I suggest that the moderator runs the position through a bot if in any doubt about whether to ask for cube action. If the bot thinks that a double would be a double whopper blunder with fries, just roll. Another solution would be for alert cube hounds to post "Don't Roll" after they have seen the boxes roll if they think that a cube would be close after the best play.
This is a good feature for fibsboard. I realise that it takes daily attention, but it is worth it. It will be even better if rattles along a bit faster. Is one move a day achievable?

A move a day is feasible pretty much most of the time - and if you check back, you will find that is the speed it has moved at for a lot of it [if the votes have reached consensus in 24 hours, I move it along].

I repeat though, that asking the bot isn't foolproof - the bot was convinced about the hit earlier in the game - and I missed a cube, because the bot said no...I will do that - as long as I don't get a wave of people tellingme I shouldn't have afterwards  ;)

dorbel

The bot may say no cube, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask the question! Use it as a guide. Hard to imagine any sentient life form turning the cube here though.

diane

Quote from: dorbel on October 01, 2009, 12:13:44 PM
The bot may say no cube, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask the question! Use it as a guide.

Er, isn't that what has been happening since my previous problems..I only asked because one of the forum team suggested he might like to think about it [otherwise I would have skipped on...you are right though - I can't imagine turning it here - and indeed on fibs, would have put the autoroll on, just to make sure I didn't get distracted and accidentally cube  ;) ]

ah_clem

cube decision rollout (updated)

Spoiler

Cube analysis
Rollout cubeless equity  +0.024 (Money:  +0.087)

Cubeful equities:
1. No double            -0.035
2. Double, pass         +1.000  ( +1.035)
3. Double, take         -0.753  ( -0.719)
Proper cube action: No double, take (41.0%)
Rollout details:
Centered 1-cube:
  0.535 0.126 0.011 - 0.465 0.115 0.005 CL  +0.024 CF  -0.035
[0.002 0.004 0.002 - 0.002 0.002 0.001 CL   0.005 CF   0.012]
Player rkb owns 2-cube:
  0.531 0.137 0.009 - 0.469 0.149 0.017 CL  +0.439 CF  -0.753
[0.002 0.005 0.002 - 0.002 0.005 0.002 CL   0.012 CF   0.017]
Full cubeful rollout with var.redn.
1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 870468137 and quasi-random dice
Play: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
Cube: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]

[close]