News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

See action in Java when window minimized

Started by e_boell, October 23, 2009, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_boell

Hi.
I was wondering why there is no way to notice when my opponent is doing something and I have the window minimized.
When I play and surf the internet at the same time the window automatically closes down. In skype, for instance, the minimized window shows me the other persons' actions by blinking orange or making a sound. Does anybody know how to get that in the fibs-java-system?

Greetings and good luck playing.
e_boell

maria

Please note this is just my opinion but IF you are playing someone, shouldn't you pay attention to the game instead of being off in another window surfing the 'net?

Personally I think that's rude.

But then I'm an old-fashioned fart with nothing better to do than reply to posts on FIBSboard.

Sorry.

diane

Quote from: maria on October 23, 2009, 06:19:00 PM
Please note this is just my opinion but IF you are playing someone, shouldn't you pay attention to the game instead of being off in another window surfing the 'net?

Well, I consider myself a bit of an old fart too  ;) but I also like to surf while I play - particularly if I am sat on the bar for an extended period, or waiting on a very slow player [note - if you play fast I wont do this  ;)]

The way I know what is going on, is to switch on the sound via preferences, and listen for the move being completed - so you should be able to too, e_boell, since your PC obviously has sound capability!

See the attachment for how to turn it on
Never give up on the things that make you smile

adrian

All nicks starting with e_ are suspicious, why did you ladies bother to answer anyway?
I suspect e_mail ruined my sex life. (Just kidding, but my inquiry stands)
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

stog

mr e's name is a virus isn't it? with an a on the end
a particularly frightening one too.......
spot the paranoid webmaster!!

diane

But he is on fibs with the same name - I spoke to him...he didn't answer me though, maybe he was surfing  :laugh: :laugh:

inim

Quote from: e_boell on October 23, 2009, 03:18:59 PM
Hi.
I was wondering why there is no way to notice when my opponent is doing something and I have the window minimized.
When I play and surf the internet at the same time the window automatically closes down. In skype, for instance, the minimized window shows me the other persons' actions by blinking orange or making a sound. Does anybody know how to get that in the fibs-java-system?

This is not feasible easily with Java, as the Task bar is very OS dependent and Java is cross-platform. It may be possible using (a) either a very recent version of Java (6 or the upcoming 7), or (b) using native libraries. (a) is not an option because it would prvent OSX 10.4 users from using JavaFibs (they only have version 5, 10.3 and lower is worse). (b) is not an option because native libs are way to complicated and maintainance intensive to be appealing. Finally, JavaFIBS has real bugs still, so this "nice to have" feature would rank at the priorities near minus infinity.

Sorry for this "no", but I see no technical possibility currently to implement it, nor do I feel it is important enough.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

diane

Quote from: inim on October 25, 2009, 03:20:33 PMSorry for this "no", but I see no technical possibility currently to implement it, nor do I feel it is important enough.

He asked for
Quotethe minimized window shows me the other persons' actions by blinking orange or making a sound
though...and javafibs does make a sound as is - so surely his requested criteria are already met.... :blink: :blink:

I think all he has to do is turn it on  :huh:

adrian

Quote from: diane on October 25, 2009, 06:02:40 PM
He asked for  though...and javafibs does make a sound as is - so surely his requested criteria are already met.... :blink: :blink:

I think all he has to do is turn it on  :huh:

Women observe everything!  :blush:
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.