News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

Receive TourneyBot shouts in tells

Started by MadMatt, April 10, 2004, 07:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMatt

A lot of people don't like listening to FIBS shouts, but would still like to be notified of TourneyBot events, which are usually announced through shouting.

Well, the subscribe command is just for you! By telling TourneyBot subscribe, you will start receiving TourneyBot shouts in tells. TourneyBot usually shouts when a new tourney opens for registration, starts, a round is completed and the tourney's over. You can now keep yourself updated on TourneyBot happenings without having to listen to shouts.

To stop receiving TourneyBot shouts in tells, tell TourneyBot unsubscribe.

Tourney Directors can see a list of subscribed people by telling TourneyBot subscribers.

Please let people know about this feature as it has been on often-requested one. Tell your friends if you think they might want to use it.

Cheers,

Mat
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

adrian

:yes: Matt, you followed my wishes here! Thank you! (I owe you one).
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

magic_one

webrunner

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

jinnate

what i love most about this is that a chat window is opened with the user, taking care of (i hope) a lof of newbie questions like "how do i register?" "where is tourneybot?" etc. woo hoo! :lol:  

diane

erm - only if they are not so new that they have got round to subscribing......

But yes - thnks a lot for that -makes things easier for me and i always like that  :)  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jinnate

Quoteerm - only if they are not so new that they have got round to subscribing.....

the answer to that is to keep spreading the word. usually if they are so new they haven't gotten round to subscribing, they're still reading shouts.  :P  

diane

Well - in order to subsrcibe..one would already have had to have got the hang of opening a chat box with Tourneybot - and to have a fair idea about what one was subscribing to - so would have already asked the questions

Quotetaking care of (i hope) a lof of newbie questions like "how do i register?" "where is tourneybot?

But - that is beside the point - and yes - spreading the word is my goal.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

magic_one

"Subscribe" is not fully functional.  I do not seem to get all the messages; for example, about 5 minutes to start and 10 minutes to start. Today, I logged on at 13:15 UTC.  At 13:35, I received a "tell" message from TourneyBot that Tourney #391 just started.  I would suggest that sometime between 13:15 and 13:35 I should have received a message that a tourney was about to start.  
Thanks,  
~ magic_one

MadMatt

Quote"Subscribe" is not fully functional.  I do not seem to get all the messages; for example, about 5 minutes to start and 10 minutes to start. Today, I logged on at 13:15 UTC.  At 13:35, I received a "tell" message from TourneyBot that Tourney #391 just started.  I would suggest that sometime between 13:15 and 13:35 I should have received a message that a tourney was about to start.  
Thanks,  
~ magic_one
Those messages (5 min to start etc.) are not TourneyBot messages, they're shouted by a Tourney Director holding the tourney.

TourneyBot only shouts to announce a sign-up for a new tourney, a start of a tourney, round completion and the winner. You get all those messages if you're subscribed.

Any other messages are just individuals (usually TDs) shouting and TourneyBot does not propagate those shouts.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

socksey

Well then, can those shouts be propogated into the program?  Will we TD's be able to propogate our individuality?

Good job, Matt!  ;))

socksey

"Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." - Carl Zwanzig

MadMatt

QuoteWell then, can those shouts be propogated into the program?  Will we TD's be able to propogate our individuality?

Good job, Matt!  ;))

socksey

"Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." - Carl Zwanzig
No, they won't be included, because that could get annoying real quick. Most people don't like spam. People can just turn on shouts when they get a tell about new tourney if they want to get those messages.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

MadMatt

Another solution might come soon with burper's FIBS Companion, when it implements channels. TourneyBot could create a channel for each tourney currently in progress and add subscribers to it as they log in. Then TDs would propagate their shouts along that channel as well and everyone who's subscribed would get them too, without having to turn on shouts.

I might implement tourney channels myself (via TourneyBot) if the FIBS Companion doesn't.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

jinnate

channels sound like an excellent idea.