News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

Earth Watch, Climate Wars & an ozone map from 1979-2008

Started by stog, December 04, 2009, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

This is an excellent movie, the visuals are breathtaking, I barely recognised the planet I live on from the air.

It is several years old now, but has lost nothing in terms of message - except there is more positive news, documented on the website.

I still think it is foolish to sell global protection as a means to stop climate change....but simply of itself, the right thing to do. From the starting point that one does not sh** in ones own backyard..thus it expands out. Building the most dangerous thing known to mankind, on an area known to be vulnerable to unpredictable earth movements is about the most arrogant and insane thing I can think of.

To wipe out species and creatures we do not even know exist, and those we do not understand is folly of the worst kind, we do not deserve any kind of credit for intelligence.  To wipe out species adapted over millions of years to an environment, then force creatures we bred to not 'fit anywhere' to live in their place...leading to, for just one example, the barbaric practice of mulesing, is only testament to our cosmic childishness.

Hands up anyone who knows how a sealion can travel 200 Ks out to sea for days on end and find its way back to exactly where it left it's pup...
Or how a penguin can lay an egg, go off finding food for weeks, and come back to a hatched chick and know which one is hers, amongst hundreds of thousands...
Does anyone know if the cure for cancer is under a tree in the amazon...or the cure for the general malaise causing us to systematically kill ourselves whilst simutaneously patting ourselves on the back and saying, man, aint we smart - look what we can do....

And they wondered why so many people wanted to move to Pandora and leave this nonsense behind...no wonder at all.

*climbs off soapbox*
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jaytourist

Climate wars or climate change really affects the earth's stable condition.But I think the whole world is also acting on it before it's too late. And, we are also responsible to do our part in giving mother earth a clean environment for the future of our children. :)

stog

Everything you need to know about climate change - interactive  

Everything you need to know about climate change - interactive

The Guardian's one-stop guide to the facts of global warming, from the science and politics to economics and technology, drawn from their ultimate climate change FAQ.

stog