bots and identification of such...

Started by ah_clem, December 17, 2009, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

How does repbot know whether a user is a bot?

I recently found myself playing kleine_hexe, a bot not identified as such by repbot.

Do you keep track of them by hand or is do you read the something from FIBS itself?

diane

The owner of the bot must register the playername as a bot [somewhere in preferences - you could set yourself to be a bot if you so desired! ;)].  They must also supply a valid email address so that people with problems with the bot can contact them directly, and not Patti ;).

Patti requires them to do that if it is a bot running solo like Montecarlo etc.  Repbot gets the information from that setting being properly applied.

Kleine_hexe is a person operating a bot - ie sat with it, and telling opponents that they are playing a bot. I am not sure if that qualifies as needing to be set as a bot, my guess would be that it does - so players know before they invite or accept.  But, it is less of a problem than say Montecarlo - because should it stall or whatever, there is a human there to help.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

inim

Quote from: ah_clem on December 17, 2009, 10:07:10 PM
How does repbot know whether a user is a bot?
A boolean field in the user DB.
I recently found myself playing kleine_hexe, a bot not identified as such by repbot.
See diane's explaination, it's a "borderline" bot, nevertheless flagged it as a bot today. This has one consequence: bot vouchers/complaints are not counted for reputation calculation.
Do you keep track of them by hand or is do you read the something from FIBS itself?
By hand. Patti must have a similar list for the bot-dropper punishment script, but that isn't shared.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.