News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

Game 2 Move 2 Forum to play 5-3

Started by ah_clem, January 08, 2010, 12:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

We decided to hold fire on the cube.  Now we have a 5-3.  I think I listed all the "reasonable" options, but if there's one you like that's not there, ask.

ah_clem

Spoiler

The obvious move is to make a homeboard point with 8/3 6/3.  It unstacks the 8 and 6 nicely and makes a valuable point.  What's not to like?

I'm looking at the other moves and the only other viable option I see is to hit loose on the ace point and then either slot an anchor point or another homeboard point.  6/1* 23/20 is tempting - it puts a second checker on the roof and slots a valuable anchor point.  Actually, though, looking at it again, the 20 pt is utg, so the better slot would be the 21 point.

Still, I don't see that these slotting moves give us the concrete advantage now of making a homeboard point.  So I'm going to stick with 8/3 6/3

[close]

stog

Spoiler
23/20 6/1* the hit to keep him occupied , unless he throws a dub which wld be orrible anyway, and the 23/20 to give us a chance of getting another blot
[close]

ah_clem

Spoiler

Quote from: stog on January 08, 2010, 01:38:46 PM
23/20 6/1* the hit to keep him occupied , unless he throws a dub which wld be orrible anyway, and the 23/20 to give us a chance of getting another blot

Re-re-thinking the anchor-slotting play, I see that 23/20 is indeed superior to 24/21. 

Normally, moving the runner up to within 6 points of the builder is counter-indicated since it places it utg (3 or more checkers bearing down on it).  But if he has two checkers on the bar, utg is irrelevant - better to position ourselves to hit the blot (or make the opponet's 5 point).

This is a fairly common dilemma - do you move your blot up to within a direct-shot of his blot, or hang back leaving only an indirect shot?  In this case, since he has to use a roll to enter, it's better to give the direct shot, since we'll get it first.

All this being said, I'm still sticking with the simpler calmer homeboard-point-making play.  If nothing else, it tends to lead to a game I understand, while the wild shootouts often generate a position that looks like it came from the planet Xebelprox.

[close]

ah_clem

Hmmmm.... I was away for the weekend and I come back to a tie vote.  What to do?

I'm going to leave it for another 12 hours and then flip a coin.  Maybe we'll get a vote flipper and we won't have to resort to a coin flip.  I'd encourage some more arguments for one move or the other - you might change my mind, which would be enough.

stog

Spoiler
good weekend i trust -- ive had my skis out this week too -great to be able to just stomp out o the house to the snow)

they both seem good plays but very different - i'm happy with either! anybody for the deciding votes? i've just posted a request on fibs to ask for a deciding vote or 2 !!
this is what i shouted so we could use a similiar blurb again if we have tight decisions + it's good advertising for the match -- encourage new blood! and delays the coin i trust :)

these are the shouts:
"ok we got a tied vote for our next play on fibsboard.com in our forum match .. anyone fancy making a deciding vote?

"there are 2 tied votes ---they both seem good plays but very different - i'm happy with either! anybody for the deciding votes?

"http://www.fibsboard.com/fibsboard-forum-match-4/game-2-move-2-forum-to-play-5-3/new/#new

"ok we got a tied vote for our next play on fibsboard.com in our forum match .. anyone fancy making a deciding vote?

there are 2 tied votes ---they both seem good plays but very different - i'm happy with either! anybody for the deciding votes?

http://www.fibsboard.com/fibsboard-forum-match-4/game-2-move-2-forum-to-play-5-3/new/#new

if you are a registered fibsboarder than you'll see the diagram

"this is an early play in the second game no cube

kinda sets the scene for them...

http://www.fibsboard.com/fibsboard-forum-match-4/game-2-move-2-forum-to-play-5-3/new/#new"if you are a registered fibsboarder than you'll see the diagram

this is an early play in the second game no cube

http://www.fibsboard.com/fibsboard-forum-match-4/game-2-move-2-forum-to-play-5-3/new/#new
[close]

stog

i think my selling technique needs refining ;) not one extra vote grrrrr  :( :(

diane

Erm, I just spotted that I hadnt voted - I am not sure how I missed this!!  I checked in all weekend! 
Spoiler
Anyhoo, I have voted now...dull and boring move for me, I would prefer to get ahead on throwing a board together, rather than just hitting for the sake of hitting, with nothing to capitalise on those hits.
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

dorbel

Spoiler
"Two on the bar is better by far." 23/20, 6/1* for me.
[close]

ah_clem

The winner as of this morning was 8/3 6/3, so that's what we moved.  I thought I had locked the poll, but apparently I didn't.  So while Dorbel's late vote is in the count above, the vote had closed a couple hours earlier.  Sorry.

Here's a bowlderized bot results, sanitized so as not to give away the pending cube decision.

Spoiler

The prosaic move is best.  23/20 is quite a bit better than 24/21 if we're hitting.

Spoiler

1. Rollout          8/3 6/3                      Eq.:  xxx

2. Rollout          23/20 6/1*                   Eq.: ( -0.099)

3. Rollout          24/21 6/1*                   Eq.: ( -0.178)

4. Rollout          8/5 6/1*                     Eq.:  ( -0.269)

5. Rollout          11/8 6/1*                    Eq.:   ( -0.292)

6. Rollout          13/10 6/1*                   Eq.:  ( -0.298)

7. Rollout          24/16                        Eq.:  ( -0.352)

8. Rollout          24/21 23/18                  Eq.:  ( -0.360)

Full cubeful rollout with var.redn.
       1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 840185179 and quasi-random dice
       Play: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
       Cube: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]

[close]

[close]