News:

NEW! Get all Tourneybot Results from the new Board here: http://www.fibsboard.com/tourneybot-results/

Main Menu

Time limits for tourneybot tourneys

Started by diane, April 14, 2004, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Following some rather slow matches in tourneys it has been suggested there should be time limits imposed on matches.

I dont think this is appropriate for a number of reasons - the first and most obvious is that it would be a bit of a nightmare for the director to impose them - without some automated means of recording when a match starts.

If fibs had the timing per move facility of a site such as truemoneygames - this would be relatively easy - but since that is not available here - i dont see an easy way to emulate that.  I cant, after all, watch every match that is being played.

Beyond that - I have noticed that players often take tourney matches more seriously than regular matches - and consequently put more thought into each move.  You are all going to find yourself in a complex match which is not going to end quickly, at some point - and i think people would be miffed if the match was lost because of it.  Then - as director - i would have to decide who was in the winning position at the end of the time alloted - something which i dont think is always very straightforward in backgammon!!

I think the current arrangement of no limits - but with warnings to hurry up issued to anyone taking a very long time is probably the way to continue.
Never give up on the things that make you smile