News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

Rules

Started by Tomawaky, April 14, 2004, 05:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

What kind of rules can we write down to avoid unfair ranking due to 'inactive players'.
By 'inactive players' I mean those who play not all of their matchs.

Some questions :
- About how many unplayed matchs a player become inactive.
- About how many times without playing, a player could be declared as inactive (for those who play all of their match in the 2 or 3 last weeks).
- How can we compensate those who have not played against inactive players
- What to do with inactive players at the end of the session.
............etc

It's just a start, but this point in the rules can easily become very complicate and that's why I have not actually put any rules on it.
I try to be the more fair as I can at the end of the session to put players up or down, but I do not actually follow any rules and that can be disputed.

So I open this discussion to all of you and if we can find the right solution, I am ready to write it down.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

tryout

QuoteHow can we compensate those who have not played against inactive players
In team league I handle it that way that those who tried to contact their opponents by mail (and put me in CC:) and got no reply will get a forfeit at the end of the season. If neither opponent made an effort nobody gets any points.
GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

adrian

Dear Tomawaky,

:( The way tryout deals with those players seems to me the best way to handle the problem. As an addition, before you announce that the league/team matches are starting, check again via e-mail that the the players know that they are supposed to play in League. It hapened right now in sezame2 league that plr. Broshi told to me in e-mail and "tell"-s that he hasn`t registered in league, and he wasn`t aware that he should play with me.

Greetings!

aslengyel
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

mucki

Hi,

i think that there should be no restrictions because i see all fibsters as part of a freee community. I think it would be rather complicated to find good rules to handle that. May be it would better tp proceed as usal ?!

Mucki

alef

Currently you score 1pt for a loss and 3pts for a win. So a single win and two unplayed matches is the same value as for someone who's made the effort to play three times but has lost them all.

Perhaps change the weighting to 1pt for a loss and just 2pts for a win? This makes not playing a much worse penalty.

Tomawaky

The way tryout deal is what is actually write in the league rules.

The point scored for win or loss is something that have been already point out and why not change.
But is it right to have one player who have lost 11 matchs better than an other who win 3 and lose 4 ?
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tomawaky

I post here resipsa comment

"I pose this for your consideration

the problem seems to be when players lose their first two or three matches, especially if they are close and hard fought, the scoring system of 3 for a win and 1 for a loss, is very disheartening and does not keep them interested in seeking to finish the slate of league matches

this is in marked contrast to the p/c tournaments where the loss in the primary draw still gives you a life in the second half because of the double elimination aspect of the the tournament

perhaps a combined scoring system where you earned points for the win and points for your score or some other incentive to ensure players to continue to finish matches even though they are no longer in contention"

resipsa

alef

QuoteBut is it right to have one player who have lost 11 matchs better than an other who win 3 and lose 4 ?

Personally I think it is, making the effort to play 11 matches rather than just 7 is quite significant. The point surely is to play all your matches, or at least as many as you can? Heavy penalties in the scoring for not completing matches encourages people to play more.

As a separate issue I prefer only having about 6-8 people per league because it becomes difficult tracking down all of your opponents, which is why I stepped out. But I guess the league is suffering from its own success, how many people are in it now, must be about 150! You surely have the record for largest FIBS tournaments   :)

Considering that you have so many people interested in the league I'd say make your rules tough on playing matches so that it mainly caters to those fully devoted to playing.

socksey

QuotePerhaps change the weighting to 1pt for a loss and just 2pts for a win? This makes not playing a much worse penalty.

Alef, this seems like a better idea to me.  Would probably make for a tighter league, also.   ;)

socksey

"An inventor is simply a fellow who doesn't take his education too seriously." --Charles F. Kettering